This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] Storybook Land Canal Boats Major Disappointment

Outside of the aesthetics of the new railing/bridge expansion (which I don't like), couldn't help but notice after riding Storybook Land Canal boats that not much was done in the way of upkeep. One sore spot, Toad Hall didn't get much attention and still looks horrible compared to how it looked in years past before they moved it, and now even has paint chipping on the roof to reveal the white plaster below!

When Toad Hall was in its old location, it had a nice blue roof, wasn't faded, and I think they painted "soot" on the chimneys. Looks horrible as is, especially with that weird wall behind it with the faded green paint meant to be plants.

Old Toad Hall

Click image for larger version

Name:	601701481_u8sRc-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	7370845

New Toad Hall faded (Don't have a new picture, but might be touched up a little bit, some new lights added, but still doesn't nearly as good as it used to.)

Name:	mrtoad_storybookland.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	7370846

I think it is time they either fix Toad Hall up, or just junk it as it doesn't look like it could be lived in. How much more bleached and bone white can it get?!? The retaining wall should really go too.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-20-2012, 05:30 AM.

Re: Storybook Land Canal Boats Major Disappointment

Here's a photo of Toad Hall from Sunday. You can see the spots on the roof you mentioned, and the cracked wall in front. The broken wall dosn't look out of place to me (Mr. Toad probably hit it with his car a few times!)

It does seem like it would take only a few minutes to dab some paint on the roof though.

You can see that the landscaping is much better then it was before. Nice box hedge under the windows and more trees/plants.

Name:	disney-11-12-045.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	7346947

Comment

I'd hate to see it go, when all it seems to need is a little TLC. It's a shame it was overlooked when the ride was down for so long. Hopefully someone with the authority will notice this and do something positive about it.

I do agree that I miss the original location.

To me, Agrobah just never really fit thematically with all of those Eurocentric stories represented in the ride.
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Even though it's pretty minuscule, it's strange that they wouldn't have touched that up during the refurb when it was down. I do agree about location however, the first spot was prime and looked a lot better IMO.

Comment

There are still burnt out lights on the Casey Jr. loading area. Did they not notice these during the refurb or do they just not care.
          As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

Comment

Originally posted by PirateLover View Post
            Here's a photo of Toad Hall from Sunday. You can see the spots on the roof you mentioned, and the cracked wall in front. The broken wall dosn't look out of place to me (Mr. Toad probably hit it with his car a few times!)

It does seem like it would take only a few minutes to dab some paint on the roof though.

You can see that the landscaping is much better then it was before. Nice box hedge under the windows and more trees/plants.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25232[/ATTACH]
            I guess it's good they did something. But the problems I still see:

1. Cracked wall. I don't think Mr. Toad hit it with his car because this is right next to the river, doesn't seem there is any room for a car. Plus, the house should be moved back as the steps lead down to . . . a landscaping "wall", and the water below.

2. The bricks are becoming more faded. Probably this hasn't been fixed in decades, looks ridiculously bleached.

3. Retaining wall in back unpainted, also should be removed as it looks tacky and wrecks the scale of the house.

4. Smoke stacks/chimneys not painted/touched up, no soot, look too clean.

5. Roof faded from a nice blue color to a ridiculous bleached green color.\\

6. Bent cement chimney in front, and they are even missing a chimney when you look at the old photo. I guess somebody didn't take good care of the model when it was being stored.

The landscaping is improved, but a lot was left untouched.
            Last edited by chesirecat; 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by junglecskipper View Post
              Did they not notice these during the refurb or do they just not care.
              I am sure it was just overlooked..

Comment

Those aren't paint chips on the roof; it's 1:8th scale pidgeon poop!

Comment

Isn't it possible the wall is supposed to be cracked? Personally, I think it looks lovely and would probably go bananas if I noticed every piece of chipped paint at the park. Just sayin...
                  sigpic
                  Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Comment

Personally, I more upset about the missing chimney.

Comment

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post
                      Outside of the aesthetics of the new railing/bridge expansion (which I don't like),
                      I don’t mind them. They are minimally themed so they don’t stand out and have a very thin profile so not to detract from the view. If it will make things safer for workers as well as evacuations, then I am all for them.

Originally posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
                      Isn't it possible the wall is supposed to be cracked?
                      The crack does look like it is natural for that style of wall.
                      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

I'm more upset that they didn't take the time to add a tangled tower. They had a miniature one at EPCOT a few years ago and it was lovely! Anyways, I barely remember Storybookland before they added Aladdin, but it agree that Toad Hall did look much more elegant before. Oh well. At least we still have Toad Hall (both the miniature and the ride).
                        Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

ORWEN: It would be nice if they added a tower for Rapunzel.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
                            Personally, I more upset about the missing chimney.
                            Woah! They totally did get rid of that back chimney. I wonder why?

Comment

To me, Agrobah just never really fit thematically with all of those Eurocentric stories represented in the ride.
                              Glad it wasn't just me. I rarely get to ride this ride so after a long hiatus finally was able to a few years back and was really let down by everything (just needed a lot of TLC) I saw but have to say Agrobah was completely out of place amongst all the other homes. Hopefully the Toad home will get some much needed TLC. Perhaps they just ran out of time to fix everything.
                              Feel free to visit my Etsy Shop; https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlienKaboo...=hdr_shop_menu
                              to see my Disney and StarWars skirts for little girls.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X