X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied
    Re: Pirates of the Caribbean - Another Remodel

Nonetheless, we all know that these ideas will never happen. Armchair Imagineering is just a hobby of mine, and unless by some odd chance my career path changes magically and takes me to some top-notch Imagineer position, these're just products of my imagination, completely built for fun. I rarely post my ideas online for various reasons, and when I do I always brace myself for good, bad, and or mixed reviews, the latter found in this thread. You can never really make one person truly happy and that's just one of the things that comes with the hobby. I still enjoy it and plan on doing it for a long time. It's my own personal way of contributing to the parks without actually contributing to the parks.

Leave a comment:

• DrFink
    replied

Very descriptive but I'm not up for yet another remodel of Pirates just because some people don't like the movie characters in the ride. The bottom line is Disney likes them and as long as people love Captain Sparrow and the movies it won't change.

Leave a comment:

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied

Thanks, Trent!

Since this thread only has one star, I think I'm going to end it where I left off. Thanks for the feedback though!

Leave a comment:

• WDITrent
    replied

I quite enjoy reading the ideas in your threads, MANEATINGWREATH. I don't always like every single idea, but many of them are wonderful, and they're always so vividly described.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPD
    replied

They should change the ship in the battle scene to the Black Pearl, it just seems fitting.

Leave a comment:

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied

Originally posted by MactheMan View Post
    The additions of props on the boat seem superflous and would only hurt capacity. You can't just add a row to the back of the boat since the track was made for the boats to be a certain length and mass.
    It wouldn't add another row to the boat, the props'd just be placed on the backside...oh, wait, okay I'm going to take the blame on this one, there isn't much space on the back for one. So let's take that idea away haha.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

Just change it back to the way it was in 1967, and realize you can't improve on perfection. Problem solved!

Leave a comment:

• Alexshow
    replied

although i would apprecate for another remodel. the ride has also a new ending with mabye the crew of the pearl against the original pirates with a new look and jack stay's but also new effects for the water battle scene

Leave a comment:

• MactheMan
    replied

The additions of props on the boat seem superflous and would only hurt capacity. You can't just add a row to the back of the boat since the track was made for the boats to be a certain length and mass.

Leave a comment:

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied

It's official. No one loves me. I'll post the rest tomorrow morning.

Leave a comment:

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied

Davey Jones remains in place, still accompanied by his organ music but NOT accompanied by Blackbeard.

Hardcore fans, rejoice! Barbossa has fled the Wicked Wench, making way for the triumphant return of Paul Frees' Blackbeard...well, he's not exactly the same Blackbeard we remember. This lifelike buccaneer boasts flowing black hair, a mangled-beard from his chin to his sideburns (no mustache or bows), an ancient hat baring the Jolly Roger, an eye-patch, a single earring, and an outfit reminiscent of Captain Hook himself. With a cutlass at hand and almost his entire body showing, Paul Frees' voice has never been so alive. Joining "Blackbeard" are better cannon effects, new lighting, an HD soundtrack, and a triumphant, movie-style orchestration of "Yo Ho" (a la "Remember, Dreams Come True") as an underscore. Along with the Spanish shouts and dialogue, the silhouettes of the duelists and the soldiers popping up behind the fort remain.

And thus begins a complete technological overhaul for the remainder of the ride, starting with a 3D sound system (aside from the before-mentioned lighting changes and remastered soundtrack). Behind each character or prop with any vocal activity is a brand-new HD speaker bellowing whatever their own individual sound may be, the speakers hidden from sight of course. For the first time ever, it seems as if that particular character is talking directly to you and not talking from a distant place and lip syncing. And to top that off, each character receives an animatronic makeover, making them seem more fluid and lifelike than ever before as in top-notch Tokyo DisneySea (and beyond) quality. And to top ALL of that off, hardcore fans, rejoice once more as the attraction has gone back to its original storyline: a treasure hunt.

J. Pat O'Malley's voice once again rings out of the pirate interrogator in the Well scene, a restoration of the classic dialogue. No longer are the pirates demanding Carlos of the whereabouts of Jack Sparrow. Now, they're back in action, completely ignorant to what happened to them back in '06. Jack on the other hand does remain, still hiding behind the mannequins. Here guests're given the assumption that he too is joining in on the treasure hunt, albeit discretely. His main purpose for hiding comes from a couple of wanted posters baring his caricature strewn about his hiding place, appropriately written in Spanish. His biggest concern must be the mannequin wearing a Spanish armada uniform behind him. For all guests know, he's probably had too much rum and thinks there's an actual guard behind him. The Auction scene is given general tune-ups in sound, lighting, and animatronics, but remains in tact with some new costuming for the characters (something that also occurs in the Well scene).

In this day and age, kids're watching things on TV that are far more inappropriate than anything one could find at a Disney theme park. Because of this, the original non-P.C. Chase scene is returned to its former self, the pirates now chasing the ladies for love and not for food. As expected, the Pooped Pirate is back in action, once again speaking with Paul Frees' voice and dangling around a frilly pink skirt. The skirt's owner hides in the barrel behind him with a flickering candle, the poor girl taking up the exact same animatronic structure of the current Jack animatronic...albeit the animatronic now wears a dress and has a frightened female face. The pirates drinking rum from the barrel tower are gone, allowing sight of the restored chickens chasing each other around a fountain. To make way for a new scene, the larger woman chasing a pirate is moved to the turntable seen right upon entering the scene. In the spot once home to the pirate battling with a horse and goat for food is another Jack animatronic, this time about to discover the location of the town's treasure - inside a cow stable. One cow munches on the map leading to the town's treasure vault while another munches on the vault key. Jack does his very best to obtain his prize but is constantly foiled by a large bull in the stable behind him who snorts (steam even comes out of his nose) angrily whenever Jack gets close to the cows, causing Jack to lean backwards before repeating the process again. The real stars of the Chase are three characters inspired directly by DLP's POTC: a couple of sword-fighters and the quivering blonde maiden whose affections they desire. Unlike their DLP counterparts, these two seldom breakdown due to extra attention to their mechanical details. Old Bill down the canal stays in place with his screeching cats.

More to come!

Leave a comment:

• Pirates of the Caribbean - Another Remodel

Just a few ideas I have to create a win-win situation for fans of the movie additions and non-fans of the movie additions. Let me know what you think. It took me quite a while.

Aside from a new coat of paint on the attraction's facade and outdoor queue, the real changes don't begin until guests enter the manor house and receive their first glimpse of the bateaux (the boats). On the back of each bateaux is a tiny pile of cargo roped to the back bow, the front bow baring a hand-sized branded-anchor printed beneath the title of "Lafitte Plantation Co.," implying that perhaps Lafitte's Landing was once a shipping outpost used by the famous pirate Jean Lafitte...or someone with a coincidental name. All of the pirate caricatures in the queue remain, including those of Barbossa and Jack, this being Barbossa's ONLY appearance in the attraction. In place of the temporary contest winner caricature (which is gone already), is another Marc Davis original, perhaps one removed in the 2006 remodel or never released from the drawing board.

After boarding their bateaux, guests depart into the Blue Bayou which now features darker lighting to more-so hide the ceiling, hide the often visible bottom of the bayou, and hide the strings suspending the fireflies which in turn have been given more motion. The mural making the surrounding woods seem deeper is darkened a bit and made partially 3D and partially 2D, 3D set pieces strung along the mural here and there to make it "pop" more (for instance, 3D trees would be cut in half and placed over a painted tree). "Camptown Races," a song cut from the original attraction now joins the banjo tunes plunked near the Old Man, the Old Man in which is joined by a tired, old bloodhound. The sleepy dog slumps his head over the side of the porch, occasionally perking up and wagging his tail before quickly slumping back down. As expected, the bateaux proceeds down the two waterfalls and into a refurbished grotto sequence.

For starters, Dead Man's Cove receives darkened lighting as well (to hide unnecessary things) whilst the sides of the often visible flume are remade to look like jagged rocks (actually convincing rubber "rocks"). Dead Man's Cove and Hurricane Lagoon remain exactly the same, although they are accompanied by a digitally-remastered soundtrack, something installed throughout the entire attraction to crisp things up a bit. Special effect-born droplets of water (complete with dripping sound effects) drip from the ceiling of Crew's Quarters, implying it to be a companion to Hurricane Lagoon. Over in the Captain's Quarters are where the notable changes begin, starting with the addition of an old prop. Long ago, the Captain wore a black wig a la Captain Hook. This wig respectively returns along with a character cut during planning phases. The current dead parrot is replaced by a new dead parrot, an actual animatronic reciting a monologue which was also cut during the attraction's planning. The monologue goes as such, most likely performed by Dee Bradley Baker: "Morgan says the streets are paved with gold! Storm the fort and steal a fortune! Squawk! Drink up, me cutthroats, time to sail! Avast there, mates - wait for dark! Squawk! Our fortune's made, lads. Quick now - we're keeping the ladies waiting! Squawk! Aye, Captain, your heart's as black as your beard. We'll have a hot time in the old town tonight. Squawk!" In between the transition from Captain's Quarters to the Treasure Room (all the way until the end of the Treasure Room) is an HD restoration of an old favorite: the ghost monologues, respectively narrated by Paul Frees and J. Pat O'Malley as they had from 1967-2006. "No fear have ye" and "Perhaps ye knows too much" make their triumphant return, setting the stage for the curses to come. The skeleton in the Treasure Room is re-costumed to resemble his 1967-self, complete with his smiling mouth wide-open. Although the movie additions have been toned down a bit in this rehab, the chest full of Aztec gold remains in place. Davey Jones still haunts the projection screen, minus his alternation with Blackbeard.

I'm going to school shortly, so I'll have to continue the rest later. Questions, comments, concerns?

You can also hear the ghostly monologues in this video and see the Treasure Room's original skeleton as I plan to have him appear.

Last edited by MANEATINGWREATH; 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM.

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X