Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best/ most convenient bag/ pack to bring?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What is the best/ most convenient bag/ pack to bring?

What do you guys think the best and most convenient backpack or bag is to bring into the parks? How does it work on the rides? Is there somewhere to stash your bag while riding?
    I already have my visual ready: vintage fanny pack, possibly even tie- dyed with a belly shirt. I doubt I will have time to grow out the mullet in time for the Febrauary trip but I can always wig it!
    No, but seriously, should I go fanny pack? I think they are coming back! Or should I go with a messenger sling type bag. And what do you do with your passes? Any lanyard suggestions? We will be with 2 kids, 7 and 4 and will be bringing a stroller and will keep larger items in there, but I do wnt something practical for the at par American funds I will be carrying and cc's etc.

Any advice would be appreciated
    thanks

Re: What is the best/ most convenient bag/ pack to bring?

I always carry a backpack with me. Just a standard-sized Jansport. I personally prefer not to carry something like a purse or messenger that only goes on one shoulder because they get uncomfortable for me, plus the backpack holds a lot if needed. A fanny pack is probably the most convenient way to go... I just carry more and I think my husband and friends would pretend they didn't know me if I wore one.

As for how it works on rides, I haven't been on a single ride yet that I couldn't bring my backpack with me. I even bring it on the water rides. Those have lockers for any valuables you don't want to risk getting wet, anyway. As for rides like Screamin' where you'll be going upside down, I put my backpack between my legs and usually loop a strap around my foot just in case. Definitely want to have something that can zip all the way closed so nothing spills out.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

It depends on what you're bringing. Think about that, if you bring a backpack and shove 50 million things in it, after a while it'll get tiring and annoying. For me if I go and want to bring camera, water, and sweatshirt, then usually I'll bring my standard backpack. Though, I'd like to have something smaller than a backpack for when I bring just my camera. The only ride I ever had "issues" with was California Screaming and I just put each leg through each arm strap.

Comment

Originally posted by oddball View Post
        It depends on what you're bringing. Think about that, if you bring a backpack and shove 50 million things in it, after a while it'll get tiring and annoying. For me if I go and want to bring camera, water, and sweatshirt, then usually I'll bring my standard backpack. Though, I'd like to have something smaller than a backpack for when I bring just my camera. The only ride I ever had "issues" with was California Screaming and I just put each leg through each arm strap.
        Seconded - don't bring a ton of stuff. I know you said you have a stroller, so that should help, but just keep in mind that as the day goes on the stuff you're carrying will feel heavier and heavier. I try to travel light, and only carry a few things in my backpack. Even with it mostly empty, my shoulders still get pretty sore after a whole day at the parks.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
        KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Backpack with minimal survival gear: wallet, keys, snacks, water bottles, a pen, and sweatshirts, gloves and hats. Oh, and Disney asked me to mention to bring plenty of money.
          I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I normally wear fanny pack. I'm not a fan of the way that it looks (the fact that it's attention-grabbing hot pink doesn't help), but for me, it's the most convinient way to stash all my stuff and keep my hands free. I can't recall ever having to take it off for any rides or having any problems with it. Well, besides feeling silly, but that I can deal with. Shoulder bags work well too, but then you have extra weight on one of your shoulders. Backpacks are decent, but then you have to take it off everytime that you need something and they make your back a little extra sweaty. So that's why I'm a proponent of the fanny pack. And if you're feeling especially rebellious and or in the mood to set a new trend, you can wear your fanny pack to the side, gangsta style.

Comment

If you don't have a lot to carry, a mini backpack works the best. They will even fit in some of the pouches on the attractions. Google yields quite a few selections:
              Google Shopping

Comment

I usually go with cargo pants. But then I only take my phone, wallet and my P&S camera.

Although my next trip I will have a DSLR for at least part of the time so I'm looking at some possible backpacks myself....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Assuming you're planning on keeping the food and whatnot in the strollers, you shouldn't have much need for bags besides the bare essentials as people have said before. I can get away with just a cinch bag that holds a light jacket/sweater, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, and my keys. I keep my wallet (with AP/Fast Passes inside) and cellphone on my person.

I've used a messenger bag before and it wasn't awful, just not great. Backpacks are a lot less intrusive, just watch the volume. If they can collapse well, then you should be fine.

Comment

I think the best looking and fairly good for your back is the messenger bag...so long as you don't put too much that's heavy inside it. It's easy to reach and you can keep it just as is when you get on rides.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't like the backpack unless I MUST carry a bunch of stuff. It annoys me not to be able to reach for things easily and to have to take it on and off for rides. However, if you have heavy stuff and will be there all day, it's probably the best way to go.

A very non-obtrusive style fanny pack can be quite helpful...I admit I haven't worn mine in a while for fashion reasons, even though I wear mine "gangsta style" (a bit to the side)! Why we are worried about what the few people who would even notice think about our fashion sense while enjoying a day at Disneyland is beyond me, and yet I cave in and haven't had the guts to use the fanny pack in quite a while.

Lanyards can be helpful for keeping tickets and fastpasses, but if you have a convenient place to safely keep them, they aren't necessary. Whatever you decide to go with have a great time!!!

Comment

I prefer a messenger bag. I make my own, so they are lightweight and not uncomfortable to carry. They also fit in the "Cargo Nets" that are on a lot of rides.

The thing I don't like about larger size backpacks is that the person in front of me in line wearing the giant backpack, is allways hiting me with it as they move around in line!

With most of the big stuff in your stroller, an even smaller size bag should work fine and fit in the nets of most rides.

Here are some of my messenger bags I have created for my trips:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	redcar.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	7346993Click image for larger version

Name:	mara-final.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	7346994Click image for larger version

Name:	pirate-bags.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	7346995
                      Last edited by PirateLover; 11-27-2012, 04:06 AM.

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing. My husband wears a fanny pack which is super easy for just the wallet, tickets etc. I usually have a backpack for everything else. I am also the one who carries it all day. It is a pain to take it on and off for every ride and also in line the many people who seem to bump it. Although, if I don't wear it we definately need one of the many things that I would pack. Since you have 2 little ones I would personally recommend the backpack.

And as I just realized I wear it in all pics What would my Disneyland pics be without my handy backpack straps.
                        Last edited by jennasmom; 11-27-2012, 06:43 AM. Reason: quick thought

Comment

I bring my husband and have him carry our over the shoulder bag. We usually carry snacks and hats, etc. Our 6 year old has a small backpack termed the "snack pack" she wears to carry her own snacks and water. We used to have a water bottle waist carry all for her, but ended up with the snack pack that allows her to graze all day without having to ask. If you have a stroller, I would put the snack stuff on a bag on the stroller and carry a smaller backpack or messenger bag with valuables, wallet, passes, etc.
                          Last edited by Acpisme; 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

My favorite is clothing with lots of pockets. Without any "luggage" you can zip through the security line.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateLover View Post
                              I prefer a messenger bag. I make my own, so they are lightweight and not uncomfortable to carry.
                              WOW!
                              Your bags are awesome!

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 09:12 AM ----------

Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
                              My favorite is clothing with lots of pockets. Without any "luggage" you can zip through the security line.
                              I wear a Scottevest, with LOTS of pockets.

Comment

Backpack for sure. About 15 years ago I bought a leather Disneyland one and it's still just like new. Fits a lot and easy to carry even if you only have a few things.

Comment

Never overpack. It will hurt your back. To avoid overpacking, bring a small to medium sized backpack. Leave plenty of room.

I usually pack lunch to save money; however, the rule on bringing food is the backpack must get lighter as the day goes on. Otherwise you're doing it wrong. There's no point of bringing food that you'll never eat. If you don't eat it, throw it away!!!

Bring a water bottle or a chilled soda bottle (diet Pepsi). You can refill the bottle with tap water to save money.

Jackets are not necessarily required. A jacket will take up the most space of a backpack. Just wrap it around your waist. The weather is typically sunny and hot except in the winter and spring when the night gets chilly. The temperature can range from 50 to 80 degrees sometimes.

I don't recommend lockers. They are expensive and it is likely that you won't need it. However, if you're going with your family or friends, you can pool your resources and get a large locker. It will payoff better. Bring your food. You'll save plenty.

Comment

We will get a locker and store changes of socks for the whole family, and a change of clothes for the 6 year old. Extra snacks and frozen water bottles go in as well. In the late afternoon we all change socks (amazing what a change of socks will do for tired feet), change the girls clothes, fill up new snacks, unload unneeded items (like sunglasses,sun hats, sunscreen, etc), and pick up jackets for the chillier evenings if needed. We only get the locker if we plan to stay the whole day, otherwise we take a break in the afternoon to rest in the hotel room and recoup before heading back to the parks for late afternoon/evening. We just got back from a 4 day trip that we took afternoons off except for Saturday, which we got a locker as we were there all day.

Now since you have the stroller, you could carry all that stuff on the stroller and skip the locker, I used to do that all the time when the girl was little. It depends on your comfort level with leaving things on your stroller. I always figured if they need my jacket or her blanket, they had a bigger need then we did.

Comment

We take a back type thing that straps across body with one strap. We move to front of body when riding. This holds just enough stuff, low profile. Wish I knew correct name but got it at REI.

Comment

I usually wear skinny jeans or jeggings, and the pockets are pretty tight. I just carry my phone, external battery, and money, though. I guess if I brought my one of my cameras, I would just use a neck strap (I have a DSLR and a micro 4/3) the whole time- but I'm not sure where I would put a point & shoot. I guess if I for some reason had to carry a lot more I would just bring a smaller backpack, like a baja bag (mine is pretty thin). I wouldn't carry a fanny pack- just for fashion's sake, though. I guess if you don't mind the way they look then it would be pretty useful for you, but I just really, really hate them, for me anyways.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X