Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would anyone be interested in Nextgen???

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Why would anyone be interested in Nextgen???

So for those who don't know, NextGen is the name for the next generation of interactive Disney parks experiences, that will allow guests to plan every part of their visit down to the minute. Rides, food, seating for shows, everything. Disney is rumored to be incorporating this stuff very soon in 2013. My question is, why would anyone want to do this??? With reservations already available for shows and food and Fast passes for rides, what is it that makes this even remotely appealing?? Yes, I'm a passholder, but still, even when I wasn't, I would never want to do this. I like to feel out the day as I go and do what I want as I go. This sounds like an awful lot of hassle for a bad idea to me. Thoughts?
    Good
    16.67%
    Don't Know
    37.04%
    Bad
    46.30%

Re: Why would anyone be interested in Nextgen???

I agree with you completely Darth Maul, it takes all the spontaneity out of the trip if you have a set itinerary. Half the fun is mapping out and arguing about where to go and what to do next!!!

Comment

While I don't think it's the best idea, I think most families and tourists will find it useful. I can see why they would want to try something like this out. The bottomline is making the experience for the guest that much better which this might do. Just like the OP likes to feel out the day as it goes along, some people like to have their days planned out.

I am AP holder and a frequent visitor so I can see why it's not appealing to us. If it turns out to be garbage however, I would hope they wouldn't let it linger any more than they need to. I'm hoping this is a "trial run" type deal..

Comment

I could see the appeal for certain attractions and shows. The morning RSR FastPass crush and the long waits for a good spot for Fantasmic and the fireworks are thing that many of my older relatives couldn't physically handle or wouldn't want to waste time from a once every few years visit on.

Comment

I hate the idea myself but a lot of people I know can't wait. People love to plan out every detail of life and follow it. My brother has a wife and 3 kids and was telling me how awesome this will be because they can plan their whole day out and just execute it. Co-workers at work have asked me about it as well. Definetely not for me but this is for the masses. I see it working out ok in WdW for the more local crowd of Anaheim that remains to be seen.
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

This seems useful only to those guests who are planning a trip and staying at a hotel, no? If so, does anyone have any guesses how an AP holder like myself can take advantage of the services?
            sigpic
            Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Comment

As much as a good plan for the day is important if you want to get as much done in the parks as possible, being free to do whatever in the parks is half the fun for me! I like the idea of more interactive queues in DL but the other NextGen stuff, not at all.

I mean, when you plan something right down to the minute as to what you're going to do, it takes the fun away from the experience. You should be free to do whatever you want in the Happiest place on earth, not rigorously plan every step.

I say no to NextGen.

Plus it only seems like a benefit to Disney hotel guests which I never am. My family just doesn't sleep well in a hotel and we usually rent a house not far from the park for half the price.

Comment

NextGen? No Thank you.

I like the old fashioned way.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                Save
                Sav

Comment

NOONE IS interested. NOONE on ANY board wants to plan at what exact time of the day they are going to ride HM 6mos from now. The ONLY people "intrested" in this are the suits in TDO who cracked this crazed idea for teh soccer moms from Iowa who will only go to WDW once EVER. It's for those Type-A commando people. It's also a data mining project. NextGen will show managemnt where, when, and what you are, at all times on your vacation......

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
                    NOONE IS interested. NOONE on ANY board wants to plan at what exact time of the day they are going to ride HM 6mos from now. The ONLY people "intrested" in this are the suits in TDO who cracked this crazed idea for teh soccer moms from Iowa who will only go to WDW once EVER. It's for those Type-A commando people. It's also a data mining project. NextGen will show managemnt where, when, and what you are, at all times on your vacation......
                    This is likely very much true. I'd still like to learn how I can exploit it though
                    sigpic
                    Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Comment

That is terrifying....

I don't see how even someone with a family would want one, you'd get so stuck on "We have to get to.....!!!!!" and you wouldn't enjoy yourself.
                      It would be a once in a lifetime vacation ruiner for some people

Comment

You're making it seem like a crazy government conspiracy, man. It's going to be ok. I promise.

Can we let the thing roll out at least first before we beat it to death?

Comment

Tourist here...from Canada...and no I am not even remotely interested in Nextgen.If I am going on holidays,the only thing I want to plan for is flights and hotel.My life is too structured and the last thing I want on holidays is to have to maintain a schedule.I am very interested in how the roll out goes at WDW in January.

Comment

I had no idea the point of NextGen was to schedule everything down to the minute.

Sounds like that scene from NL's Vacation where they have just 5 seconds at the Grand Canyon before they have to move on to the next attraction.

Comment

I feel like NextGen is for first time visitors with a limited scheldue.

If you were visiting WDW for the first time, and you only had 2 days, what would you rather do:

Go on 25 attractions, enjoy the spontaneity.

Go on 75 attractions, enjoy experiencing as much as you can.
                              Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
                                I had no idea the point of NextGen was to schedule everything down to the minute.

Sounds like that scene from NL's Vacation where they have just 5 seconds at the Grand Canyon before they have to move on to the next attraction.
                                10:00 AM - Enter Park
                                10:01-03 AM - Take picture at flower Mickey
                                10:03-12 AM - Walk down Main Street

I'm still not 100% convinced anyone here knows exactly what NextGen will actually do for guests who choose to use it or not, for crowds, to wait times, with schedules (and what happens if you break it), etc. Obviously it's not going to be a popular thing on this forum where most of us are welcome to go to the park almost any week of the year, but for Once-in-a-Lifetime guests, this might be just the thing.

The ONLY people "intrested" in this are the suits in TDO who cracked this crazed idea for teh soccer moms from Iowa who will only go to WDW once EVER. It's for those Type-A commando people. It's also a data mining project. NextGen will show managemnt where, when, and what you are, at all times on your vacation......
                                "Teh soccer moms from Iowa" are also paying guests who the company has to attend to. If they want it, and it's feasible to do so, then they should. "Those" people who want to plan out their day should be able to. This tool should help them with that.

All companies are interested in what you're doing. In fact, if you scroll down, there's a part of this forum that tells you who's reading this thread.

Comment

In the era of structured fun for children (playdates etc) this makes sense. Not for me, but I am sure there are many who will think this is the best thing since the dayplanner.

Comment

This is for the kind of people who use RideMax and related sites to plan their trips. Except this is provided by Disney. Though this is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to NextGen. It is so so so much more than just pre-planning your trip and eating.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by clippers6 View Post
                                      I could see the appeal for certain attractions and shows. The morning RSR FastPass crush and the long waits for a good spot for Fantasmic and the fireworks are thing that many of my older relatives couldn't physically handle or wouldn't want to waste time from a once every few years visit on.
                                      I can see people using NextGen selectively, for these sorts of things, too. I can't think of many people I personally know who would want to follow a strict itinerary for the day at Disneyland, but I CAN think of those who would love to be able to reserve a special place at fireworks or F! instead of camping out, might want to reserve a time to meet the Princesses instead of waiting an hour, and those who might want to schedule a specific ride or two to ensure that they get to go on without waiting hours (RSR has been mentioned as a good example of that).

For the rest of it, it sounds awfully Big Brotherish and creepy, in all honesty.
                                      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

I only get to go to DL once a year, so if NextGen means I get to go on more rides good! But if it means I have to plan EXACTLY when I want to go on which ride does not appeal to me. As much as I like to do rides multiple times in a row, I do so with little planning which makes it fun.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X