Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomorrowland Update: Would you prefer "gritty" or "clean"?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Tomorrowland Update: Would you prefer "gritty" or "clean"?

When Tomorrowland is finally renovated, would you like it to be....

"Gritty": Something with the look of Blade Runner/Fifth Element/Mos Eisley/etc....

or

"Clean": Something with the look of Star Trek: TNG/2001/Jetsons/etc....

or

Both: Maybe an bright, optimistic look at the future....but with a dark corner lurking in Tomorrowland!

(And no, I don't mean theming it actually using Mos Eisley or the Jetsons or whatever...I'm just trying to paint a picture of a "look"!)
    Gritty
    8.74%
    Clean
    67.96%
    Both
    23.30%

Re: Tomorrowland Update: Would you prefer "gritty" or "clean"?

Interesting question. I love good set design, so a tiny part of me would prefer that lived in look, but I like the IDEA of a clean future, the optimism of it.

Comment

I don't see a gritty atmosphere working in a theme park. Makes for some of my favorite sci-fi movies, but in a theme park, I don't want to ride a ride in a post-apocalyptic utopia lol--too depressing, especially in a Disney park. I could see 'both' working, however, if they made a Wall-E ride, but even then, I would hope the ride would be more optimistic.

Comment

Again, I chose clean, for idealism, but you could totally have a dirty work in a theme park, look at the Indy ride... as you walk through the queue it has that totally lived in look...

Comment

I'd like to see a "clean" Tomorrowland, but it would be cool if there was a "dark" side of the land with a cool, scary E-ticket ride!

Comment

I always had a vision of the future being clean, so I guess clean. I also agree that a worn-out, gritty look probably wouldn't work too well in a theme park.
            Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

As dreary as TL is right now, a bleak facade would contradict Walt's vision of the future & conflict with the overall theme of "The Happiest Place On Earth." Certainly Disney can buy the rights to the Mad Max franchise, they've purchased just about everything else, but that's not big on the warm & fuzzies that the House of Mouse is famous for.
              Nuclear fallout, starvation, & lawlessness just aren't going to be a big draw. You can get all those things outside the berm right now & it isn't going to cost you the high entrance fee.
              Somehow I don't think that the Armageddon Cafe sounds like an appetizing moniker for a dining establishment.
              Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by gomezaddams View Post
                As dreary as TL is right now, a bleak facade would contradict Walt's vision of the future & conflict with the overall theme of "The Happiest Place On Earth." Certainly Disney can buy the rights to the Mad Max franchise, they've purchased just about everything else, but that's not big on the warm & fuzzies that the House of Mouse is famous for.
                Nuclear fallout, starvation, & lawlessness just aren't going to be a big draw. You can get all those things outside the berm right now & it isn't going to cost you the high entrance fee.
                Somehow I don't think that the Armageddon Cafe sounds like an appetizing moniker for a dining establishment.
                I was actually thinking of a "used universe", not something post-apocalyptic. I don't remember nuclear fallout, starvation, and lawlessness being part of Blade Runner/Fifth Element/Star Wars...maybe I need to re-watch those movies!

Comment

Back to what it was in 1981, only with a new AA attraction in the carousel. In other words, lots of movement, beautiful murals, a wonderful stage next to Space Mountain, perhaps a modernized Peoplemover.
                  God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I think the gritty can belong in the attractions, but with theming of Tomorrowland, it should definitely live up to our hopes for a better tomorrow, or at the very least one that looks pristine.
                    .:: ::.

Comment

I think there is room for both. If you look at Star Tours: you're in a sleek, futuristic spaceport, but you also get a glimpse at the gritty parts with the luggage droids.

Comment

Clean on the facades, but it is okay if it is gritty for the interior if they were to make a Wall E attraction or something

Comment

I'm a Trekkie, so I love the idea of a clean, utopian future, but it should certainly look lived-in and "real."
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I want to see a clean version of Tomorrowland. That is what Walt created, "a great big beautiful tomorrow." That is why I don't think the dystopian future depicted in Wall E fits in very well with the land.
                            "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

I chose clean, but I want it in the sense Frontierland in clean.
                              mos Eisley and a blade runner aesthetic.. Giant LED's with fantastic TRON/Bladerunner/SW animations and entertainment on them. Partner adverts wouldn't bother me either (Futuristic coke commercials).
                              The lagoon, transformed into a steampunk world, gritty but clean, of Jules Verne...a return to the 20,000 leagues
                              an update to the gates, a new space mountain facade... Remove the people mover tracks, neon and future fantasy.
                              Last edited by DJS; 12-02-2012, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Clean, efficient, optimistic, but not "perfect" kind of feel. I definitely don't want the kind of tomorrow that Wall-E showed us nor do I want to enter a world that is completely automated. I guess I want to feel what people from the 50's-70's would think about the world today.

A gritty world would definitely be welcome as a part of an attraction, like others have said. Sort of like how Ghost Galaxy has this element that makes you feel just a little uneasy.

Comment

A Coruscant would fit better than Blade Runner, but a blend of the two could work.
                                  I see the south side towering in spires and peaks, with giant LED displays along the facade, projection mapped shows after dark. The north side maybe a bit more aged, blending into a sort of Jules Verne, Futuristic Victorian timelessness. If you look ar blade runner, it's a lot of ugly downtown exteriors. That wouldn't feel right in Disneyland.
                                  Throw a huge canopy of LED over the central area, similar to the one found in Downtown Las Vegas.
                                  I wish I could describe it better.

Comment

I voted both. I want it to be clean, not because of what Walt wanted, but because everything at DL is and should be a bit idealized. I don't believe in doing everything by the book of Walt so to speak. I think the park needs to move on and evolve and create new eras of greatness.

I also think a lived in grit could work well with this. Im thinking neon, LED screen ads...Give it the same hustle and bustle of a real city but set in the future. The tomorowland of old lacked the culture you would find in a fast paced future. It was almost leisurely which I don't see the future being at all.
                                    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
                                      I voted both. I want it to be clean, not because of what Walt wanted, but because everything at DL is and should be a bit idealized. I don't believe in doing everything by the book of Walt so to speak. I think the park needs to move on and evolve and create new eras of greatness.

I also think a lived in grit could work well with this. Im thinking neon, LED screen ads...Give it the same hustle and bustle of a real city but set in the future. The tomorowland of old lacked the culture you would find in a fast paced future. It was almost leisurely which I don't see the future being at all.
                                      I don't think people here mean to follow every word and detail of what Walt wanted. Just stick to his original intent. Which is an optimistic future whic previous chatters have posted about. The biggest problem I see with Blade Runner is the Disney doesn't own that movie. I always find it funny when people mention that Wall-E needs to be in Tomorrowland when it clashes with Walt's original intent.

Comment

Originally posted by DJS View Post
                                        I chose clean, but I want it in the sense Frontierland in clean.
                                        mos Eisley and a blade runner aesthetic.. Giant LED's with fantastic TRON/Bladerunner/SW animations and entertainment on them. Partner adverts wouldn't bother me either (Futuristic coke commercials).
                                        The lagoon, transformed into a steampunk world, gritty but clean, of Jules Verne...a return to the 20,000 leagues
                                        an update to the gates, a new space punting facade... Remove the people mover tracks, neon and future fantasy.
                                        You had me up until the bolded. I really don't want to see steampunk in Tomorrowland. It is supposed to represent the future from our perspective, not how someone in the 1800's would have predicted the future.

Everything else looks good, though.
                                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X