X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 60 + year old tree falls into river

Originally posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    Trees fall time to time , probley the rain soften the soil and washed a little away and that is all it takes. The rest of the trees are fine , replacing them is not relative in my opinion , if a tree falls it falls you can't live life in fear we risk our lives on the freeway everyday , I don't want to live in a safety bobble it takes away from the fun. These are my opinions
    Bingo.

Trees fall, life moves on.

Comment

Don't trees generally become diseased or die before they fall, unless there's a storm that knocks them down? If that's the case maybe it's time to get a horticulturist in there to check out the rest of the trees and make sure they're okay. If one of those grand, huge trees falls on someone - or a limb does - it's going to be horrible. You can't stop every accident from ever happening but if they can weed out the diseased/dead trees now it might stop some of them.

And that's not living in a bubble - as far as I know, a lot of major parks/zoos/areas with lots of trees have these sort of checks/pruning happening.
      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Tree revolution... :lol:

I would guess that this tree must have been on the bank of the river since it fell into the river, which would lead me to believe that it likely fell due to "washing away" or erosion of the soil. I'm kind of surprised the landscapers or whoever takes care of the trees at the park didn't catch this before it happened.

Soon, we'll all be required to wear helmets before entering the park. Or like someone said, nets! Everywhere! (Sarcasm!)

I hope this doesn't lead to an overreaction such as removing the old trees...

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
        KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Originally posted by Malina View Post
          Don't trees generally become diseased or die before they fall, unless there's a storm that knocks them down? If that's the case maybe it's time to get a horticulturist in there to check out the rest of the trees and make sure they're okay. If one of those grand, huge trees falls on someone - or a limb does - it's going to be horrible. You can't stop every accident from ever happening but if they can weed out the diseased/dead trees now it might stop some of them.
          Uh . . . Disneyland is practically a botanical garden, they've got a large horticulture department, with several horticulturists, arborists . . . They've got teams that work on specific parts of the park, and they do take out trees if they are diseased. This won't, obviously, prevent all accidents.

There have been limbs falling off of trees in the past, but don't remember a tree falling over in the recent past.

Look where the tree was . . . on the slanted berm around the river. Erosion is more likely here, plus if you've got a tree growing at an angle, then gravity is working against it. Also, you have to look at the water leaks, of which there are assuredly some small leaks around the river, which could over time lead to soil erosion, root rot. Plus, when it rains, where does the water go after flowing down the embankment? If it pools, then you got the same situation as leaks around the river, too much water.

None of the trees on Main Street have this problem, and they are upright, unlike this tree which I believe was one of the ones that slants down towards the river.

Comment

Wow. Thank goodness the Mark Twain or canoes were nowhere nearby. The results could have been devastating.

Here is an old article from the OC Register a couple years ago. Can you imagine? No wind. No rain. Just a diseased tree and a motorist in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Decay suspected in tree that crushed woman| - News - The Orange County Register

This happened maybe no more than 15 miles away and I am pretty sure the soil there is very similar to the soil around the ROA. So perhaps disease is part of the problem.

I hate to seem selfish but I hope they replace the tree with something impressive rather than nothing at all, or perhaps even worse a young tree only 5 feet tall with a thin trunk and maybe 5 leaves hanging from it.

Comment

I say hollow it out, Splash Mountain can use a couple more logs.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post
                Uh . . . Disneyland is practically a botanical garden, they've got a large horticulture department, with several horticulturists, arborists . . . They've got teams that work on specific parts of the park, and they do take out trees if they are diseased. This won't, obviously, prevent all accidents.

There have been limbs falling off of trees in the past, but don't remember a tree falling over in the recent past.

Look where the tree was . . . on the slanted berm around the river. Erosion is more likely here, plus if you've got a tree growing at an angle, then gravity is working against it. Also, you have to look at the water leaks, of which there are assuredly some small leaks around the river, which could over time lead to soil erosion, root rot. Plus, when it rains, where does the water go after flowing down the embankment? If it pools, then you got the same situation as leaks around the river, too much water.

None of the trees on Main Street have this problem, and they are upright, unlike this tree which I believe was one of the ones that slants down towards the river.
                Ah, I wasn't aware Disney had such an extensive department. I was halfway thinking "did they let this go and not do proper maintenance?"

If the tree was on the riverbank on an angle and it eroded, it's just one of those unfortunate things that happen, I guess - and it's a good thing that nobody in the area was harmed.
                Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Ah, I wasn't aware Disney had such an extensive department. I was halfway thinking "did they let this go and not do proper maintenance?"

If the tree was on the riverbank on an angle and it eroded, it's just one of those unfortunate things that happen, I guess - and it's a good thing that nobody in the area was harmed.
                  They've got the guys who work on the Storybook every other night or so, and the Jungle Cruise team. Disneyland sort of is a botanical garden, they've got a special book at City Hall with names of all of the plants. It really is a massive job to keep everything looking better than 98% of home gardens. Considering that tens of million of guests visit DLR every year, there is a lot of upkeep. Plus, they are always changing out flower beds, such as the one in front of the train station.

Carsland/DCA means more plants to keep in top shape.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Here is an old article from the OC Register a couple years ago. Can you imagine? No wind. No rain. Just a diseased tree and a motorist in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This happened maybe no more than 15 miles away and I am pretty sure the soil there is very similar to the soil around the ROA. So perhaps disease is part of the problem.

I hate to seem selfish but I hope they replace the tree with something impressive rather than nothing at all, or perhaps even worse a young tree only 5 feet tall with a thin trunk and maybe 5 leaves hanging from it.
                    The tree in the article had a sulfur conk, a clear sign of internal rot of the tree, as well as other diseases. I'm pretty sure Disney Horticulture would remove a guest area tree with such obvious signs of decay. No doubt the roots of the fallen tree are being viewed under a microscope for evidence of fungal disease, and the general appearance of the root ball will be examined to see if the tree was root bound.

Disney grows trees to various ages, but the best results are when a relatively young tree is planted and given time to grow to an adult sized tree.

Comment

What should happen to the wood from this tree? A few ideas:

1.Make sticks for the corn dogs and candy apples.

2.Have the various cut logs carved into Disney Characters by the people who carve the Halloween pumpkins then put them on display.

3. Grind the tree to tiny slivers of wood and sell them like holy relics in the gift shops for $9.99 each. (Just like some folks do with pieces of the "True Cross.")

I'm betting Disney goes for option #3

Comment

Didn't you guys know? Instead of adding a loop to the Mark Twain they added a realistic tree falling into the river!

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

Comment

If the settler's cabin goes ablaze again, I'm blaming the trees' revolution.

Total Tender Rides: 20
                          Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
                          Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
                          Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

Some trees fall, due to storms, illness, heaviness and a bunch of other reasons .......but yet there are tree's that are hundreds of years old that haven't budged yet.
                            Happens all over the world every day, not to worry unless they all start to fall at once.
                            Little and broken, but still good.

Comment

Did anyone see it reset?

Comment

This thread has me laughing my butt off.

Comment

Originally posted by DJS View Post
                                  Did anyone see it reset?
                                  lol :P
                                  For the love of Disney....:yea:

Comment

Maybe more like "Occupy Rivers of America!"
                                    Which, this tree literally did, until "the man" carted him away.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                                      Maybe more like "Occupy Rivers of America!"
                                      Which, this tree literally did, until "the man" carted him away.
                                      Stick it to the man!!

Btw, what do trees chain themselves to during a protest?.....

Comment

And that's not living in a bubble - as far as I know, a lot of major parks/zoos/areas with lots of trees have these sort of checks/pruning happening.
                                        Yes, in general. This tree was not a sapling as far as I can tell when it was planted at DL. It was already older when it was replanted. It's root system did NOT grow in a natural (and strengthening) way. So now its' weight became an issue. It is also quite possible that it was planted wrong (on a bank without enough coverage, roots never allowed to grow downward and outward, etc.)

I agree that a tree doctor needs to take a look at every tree, esp the older and original plantings. I had assumed that Disney already did this. I am pretty sure that they were haphazardly planted in the 1 year that it took to build DL. This isn't a slam, just an observation. Back in the 50s, we knew much less about replanting older trees to off-set any issues that may come up decades after the replantings.

I would much rather them have a massive inspection than to bubble wrap everything. The fall-out from this and the one from a few years ago in Adventureland concerns me and I hope this doesn't become a major issue for the safety team.

As for the "act of god" comment several posts above, any lawyer can prove Disney was at fault for it being on their property and being mis-planted by the same company charging money to enter this property. It is not considered an act of god in this case. *le sigh* ...I can see ticket prices going up even more to cover the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                          Wow. Thank goodness the Mark Twain or canoes were nowhere nearby. The results could have been devastating.

The Mark Twain was nearby, according to reports about 30 feet away. They had to stop and reverse back to the dock.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X