• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiobarry
    replied
    Re: 60 + year old tree falls into river

Originally posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    You say that as if the trees were built for the park. its normal for this to happen, i would say they should inspect the trees more
    As great a job as they do in landscaping and planting, wouldnt it be logical to think they have arborists (?) inspecting them on a regular basis?

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
    Bingo.

Trees fall, life moves on.
    To paraphrase John Cougar Mellencamp - "Ooh yeah, life goes on...long after the thrill, of leafing is gone..."

Leave a comment:

• MrsMonroe
    replied

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
    Scary ... this really should call to question the strength of the trees, and how many more years they can stay still they all start to fall into the river.
    You say that as if the trees were built for the park. its normal for this to happen, i would say they should inspect the trees more

Leave a comment:

• Mojave
    replied

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, it is far fetched. There are rules against this and an attorney can be disciplined if caught.
    Oops, I forgot the sarcasm tag.

Leave a comment:

• Irish Princess
    replied

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
    3. Isn't the emotional trauma of seeing a tree fall enough these days?
    Only if it falls and then turns into an aligator like in Snow White. That scene freaked me out as a kid.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

I also want to make clear that I'm not making light of a case where a tree falls and actually injures someone.
    Kinda like this case?

Decay suspected in tree that crushed woman| - News - The Orange County Register

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

But it's not at all far-fetched to think there was a lawyer somewhere in the park running as fast as s/he could to get to the dock as the Mark Twain reverse-parked after the horrible tragedy of the tree falling.
    Actually, it is far fetched. There are rules against this and an attorney can be disciplined if caught.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Originally posted by steamboatpete View Post
    For example, if you were traumatized by it because when the tree came down, it split your child's head in half, that would qualify.
    It would serve as a genuine basis for a case so if Disney were to file a demurrer they would probably not prevail.

There are still a couple of elements that need to be present to win at trial.

Leave a comment:

• Mojave
    replied

I think this was intended to be a joke, however in the litigious society we live in now, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an actual thing.
    It was indeed intended as a joke about today's litigation-happy population and lawyers. But it's not at all far-fetched to think there was a lawyer somewhere in the park running as fast as s/he could to get to the dock as the Mark Twain reverse-parked after the horrible tragedy of the tree falling.

I also want to make clear that I'm not making light of a case where a tree falls and actually injures someone.

Leave a comment:

• explodingboy
    replied

Infliction of emotional distress as a basis for a lawsuit is an actual thing. You can sue for suffering just the emotional trauma of witnessing something, but there are elements to such a claim that this would not come close to meeting. For example, if you were traumatized by it because when the tree came down, it split your child's head in half, that would qualify.
    Of course that would qualify, and I am completely aware this is a real thing. I am talking about the situation that occurred on the RoA where no one was injured. I could still see someone trying to sue for emotional distress. It's just the times we live in.

Leave a comment:

• steamboatpete
    replied

[
    QUOTE=explodingboy;1056876706]I think this was intended to be a joke, however in the litigious society we live in now, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an actual thing.[/QUOTE]

Infliction of emotional distress as a basis for a lawsuit is an actual thing. You can sue for suffering just the emotional trauma of witnessing something, but there are elements to such a claim that this would not come close to meeting. For example, if you were traumatized by it because when the tree came down, it split your child's head in half, that would qualify.

Leave a comment:

• Poisonedapples
    replied

I think this was intended to be a joke, however in the litigious society we live in now, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an actual thing.
    people can be ridiculous... :lol:

Leave a comment:

• explodingboy
    replied

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    ?seriously? people get emotional trauma from that? im not judging i am just asking...

Leave a comment:

• janvincent_1313
    replied

27 Disneyland visitors injured when tree topples | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News

I was there the day the tree fell in 2001. I was standing outside of the Golden Horseshoe waiting for the next Billy show. The tree fell right on top of the popcorn stand near the River's edge. The daughter had just asked if she could have some popcorn and I told her no, wait until we are inside the Horseshoe. When the tree fell, instead of asking us to leave the area, castmembers directed us into the Horseshoe to see the Bill Hill show and locked us into the building. I went upstairs to talk to soundman, Bobby Davis and we watched from the balcony while they sawed up the tree very quickly. Frontierland was now closed, so when the show ended, they asked us to leave by the upstairs exit into the store next door. It was decided that the original pepper tree that fell was diseased. They talked about replacing all the pepper trees along the river edge at some point. Trees do fall there occasionally, so I am not surprised.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Originally posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    Some of the trees were here before the park. Large trees are planted around the orange trees to protect then from wind. I saw it in a Disneyland documentary I watched. Some of the trees around the jungle cruse were already there too
    Those would be the large eucalyptus trees to see behind the fire station on Main Street. I don't know if there are any elsewhere. I think the tree that fell was a pine tree, which isn't used as a wind break.

Incidentally, oranges weren't the only crop that was grown. There were also walnut trees as well. And the oldest tree in Disneyland is a palm tree near the JC, which is currently 116 years old.

Leave a comment:

• Trav1Disney
    replied

Some of the trees were here before the park. Large trees are planted around the orange trees to protect then from wind. I saw it in a Disneyland documentary I watched. Some of the trees around the jungle cruse were already there too

Leave a comment:

• whitestrat
    replied

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    ?seriously? people get emotional trauma from that? im not judging i am just asking...
    Someone who was on the Mark Twain will certainly claim some sort of psycological damages do to their "brush with death"

Leave a comment:

• Poisonedapples
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mojave
    replied

Let's see. The three part checklist:

1. Insurance or assets - check
    2. Liability - check, maybe
    3. Major damages - d'oh!

Back to contract review and conference calls...

Leave a comment:

• Wren
    replied

If a 60 year old Disney tree falls, and no one is around to hear it, what kindof sound does it make?

I'm guessing its a Goofy Fall. Yyaaaahhhhaaaahhooeeyyy

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X