Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

What does it take?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Fun] What does it take?

    I was thinking about my favorite Disney attractions: Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, Radiator Springs Racers, Splash MOuntain, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Rooom, Indiana Jones, and the Canoes. Even though this is a Disneyland forum, I'll also mention my favorite Walt Disney WOrld attractions: Horizons, Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination (original). I started thinking about what elements these share that make them stand out above all others.
    It seems to me that most of these feature heavy use of audio animatronics. They also have a memorable musical score that greatly enhances the attraction. Also, most of these are slow moving enough so one can savor the experience, rather than have it feel rushed.
    True, Indiana Jones is fast, but it has those other elements. Even though Splash Mountain has a couple of flume drops, my personal favorite parts are the animatronic characters and music.

    Even the canoe has the animatronic Indians and animals on the shore.
    Also, they all truly surround the guest in total immersion of experience. It isn't hard to lose yourself on any of these and forget for a moment that it's all "just a ride."

    So, it seems that these elements: Use of Animatronics, memorable music, savorable pace, total immersion all seem to be at least a big part of the "formula" for a classic Disney attraction.

    Any one in agreement? Or disagreement? What is on your personal list of necessary elements for a classic Disney attraction?
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

    No matter where you go, there you are.


  • #2
    Re: What does it take?

    yup, all of the above...

    But I think you should throw in smells to....because I went through Small World Holidays last friday and I could have sworn I was smelling peppermint or apple cinnamon right between the Alice and Pinocchio scenes. I had never smelled anything in that ride ever before so I think it was new?

    And of course they add the scents to Soarin'. Gotta love the smell of Orange Groves....

    But do NOT add the sewer smell that pops up every once in a while around the parks. I think that is an addition of Anaheim, not Disney

    Ta Da!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What does it take?

      It's the immersion that gets me. Being completely transported to an alternate reality, completely embraced in a new world. It's the core reason that I love Disneyland.

      I'm also a sucker for a well-themed queue. More immersion in the story. More time to soak up the details of this new world. More time to play with my imagination.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What does it take?

        Originally posted by clara View Post
        yup, all of the above...

        But I think you should throw in smells to....because I went through Small World Holidays last friday and I could have sworn I was smelling peppermint or apple cinnamon right between the Alice and Pinocchio scenes. I had never smelled anything in that ride ever before so I think it was new?

        And of course they add the scents to Soarin'. Gotta love the smell of Orange Groves....

        But do NOT add the sewer smell that pops up every once in a while around the parks. I think that is an addition of Anaheim, not Disney

        There was a topic about this not too long ago. No, it's not new, but it can be hard to smell it. Seems like some years they have the scent adequately pumped in and it is more obvious (much like the gingerbread smell in HMH), and other times if you inhale at the wrong time, you'll miss it. When I rode Small World last week, I noticed that you basically get one sniff in ONE spot in order to smell the peppermint, as well as the pine scent in the UK section by the Christmas tree. If you don't do it right, you probably won't notice it at all, LOL.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What does it take?

          Originally posted by Diznygrl View Post
          There was a topic about this not too long ago. No, it's not new, but it can be hard to smell it. Seems like some years they have the scent adequately pumped in and it is more obvious (much like the gingerbread smell in HMH), and other times if you inhale at the wrong time, you'll miss it. When I rode Small World last week, I noticed that you basically get one sniff in ONE spot in order to smell the peppermint, as well as the pine scent in the UK section by the Christmas tree. If you don't do it right, you probably won't notice it at all, LOL.
          ah ok..but I giggled at the possibility of me inhaling at the wrong time, hence missing the scent. But I missed the pine scent all together. But I was about to hyperventilate after smelling the peppermint trying to see if the other rooms had scents!

          So they have pumped in the scents in SM Holidays in previous years?

          Ta Da!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What does it take?

            Yes, though I'm not exactly sure what year they started it. It's been at least 5 years, maybe more.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What does it take?

              One thing that enhances the immersiveness and is a big part of Disney compared to other theme parks is the ride times. The length of the attraction let's you settle in and enjoy it. It's also much nicer to wait an hour for a ride that last 5 minutes rather than 1 minute.
              Be Cool Stay in School!
              Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What does it take?

                I kind of thought that water played an aspect of the better rides, whether it was in the form of a waterfall, or of being in water, or having some make believe water (like the thunderstorms in TikiRoom and Haunted Mansion. It does seem to be the case.
                I am old. But still love Disneyland.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What does it take?

                  Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                  I kind of thought that water played an aspect of the better rides, whether it was in the form of a waterfall, or of being in water, or having some make believe water (like the thunderstorms in TikiRoom and Haunted Mansion. It does seem to be the case.
                  The Tiki Room has real water as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What does it take?

                    Originally posted by Diznygrl View Post
                    Yes, though I'm not exactly sure what year they started it. It's been at least 5 years, maybe more.
                    Well color me flabbergasted...I never knew nor ever smelled anything until last friday! I've been going to Small World Holidays for the past 9 years now....

                    Ta Da!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What does it take?

                      Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                      I kind of thought that water played an aspect of the better rides, whether it was in the form of a waterfall, or of being in water, or having some make believe water (like the thunderstorms in TikiRoom and Haunted Mansion. It does seem to be the case.
                      I've noticed this as well. Water can really help convey certain moods or ideas, from the ominous thunder storm creating a solemn and mysterious mood in the Haunted Mansion to the waterfalls in Pirates of the Caribbean creating this sense of wonder and timelessness, this separation from the world that we know as we sail through the seas of time.

                      Plus, it involves more than one sense. Not only do you see it falling or flowing or rippling or reflecting light, you hear it, smell it, feel it. It's something that we're familiar with and have an emotion connection to.

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X