This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Silly Symphony Swings question

I'm curious: why is it called "Silly Symphony Swings" when the main theme is "The Band Concert", which is clearly a Mickey Mouse cartoon?

The only connection I can make between the two, Silly Symphonies and The Band Concert, is Donald Duck, who, of course, tries to upstage Mickey in The Band Concert and whose first appearance in "The Wise Little Hen" is a Silly Symphony cartoon. That's probably the only connection I can think of. But what do you think?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Re: Silly Symphony Swings question

Band Concert Swings does not have the same sound to it that Silly Symphony Swings does. However the plot of the Band Concert does include the band being lifted by a spinning tornado.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

The cartoons were called Silly Symphony so my guess would be that having an alliteration for the ride title would have a better lasting value than calling it, say "Band concert swings" or "Mickey's Musical Twist"
      .:: ::.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuuster View Post
        The cartoons were called Silly Symphony so my guess would be that having an alliteration for the ride title would have a better lasting value than calling it, say "Band concert swings" or "Mickey's Musical Twist"
        The Silly Symphonies are a completely different thing from the Mickey Mouse cartoons.

My guess is also for the pleasant sounding alliteration of the name. I've never even noticed it until now.

Comment

Wasn't aware of that, my bad thanks for the correction.
          .:: ::.

Comment

Band Concert Blowout?

Band Concert Blizzard?

Band Concert Cyclone?

I guess Silly Symphony Swings works better. If you look at it another way, it could be referring to silliness of the symphony (which can be another word for "band").

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
              I'm curious: why is it called "Silly Symphony Swings" when the main theme is "The Band Concert", which is clearly a Mickey Mouse cartoon?

The only connection I can make between the two, Silly Symphonies and The Band Concert, is Donald Duck, who, of course, tries to upstage Mickey in The Band Concert and whose first appearance in "The Wise Little Hen" is a Silly Symphony cartoon. That's probably the only connection I can think of. But what do you think?
              This was a much discussed topic back when the "new" attraction was announced, constructed and unveiled. The answer here is simply that Silly Symphony Swings sounds good and most wont be bothered by the exact inconsistency that you have pointed out.

Comment

I honestly never knew the difference between the two...

To me, the name has the "old timey-ness" about it and people LOVE alliterations so it just works out. The ride is a "swings" ride, the band concert uses "symphony" orchestration, and the cartoon inspiration and attraction itself are both "silly" and fun. It just works.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
                  I'm curious: why is it called "Silly Symphony Swings"
                  Because "Orange Stinger" was already taken.
                  "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

.. as i read Silly Symphonies was animated shorts( like 75 total) by The Walt Disney Company, sister series to Mickey Mouse Series. So i assume they named the swings what they are because it had to do with Walt, DCA has much but more to do with Walt Disney himself. So that is my guess as to why they named it Silly Symphony Swings.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X