X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darkamor
    replied
    Re: 1980's Disneyland Hotel

WOW ! So many memories from "behind the orange curtain ... I will miss the Waterfalls - the Koi Pond - the Remote Control Jungle Cruise Boats .... I realize that parts of the Disneyland Hotel needed a facelift (parts were looking "very worn in") ... the new Tower Themes are lovely, but that new Waterslide in the Pool is c r a p (bring back the remote control boats, please) ....

C J

Leave a comment:

• MrsMonroe
    replied

I didnt know tbe waterfalls were that old

Leave a comment:

• oldhotelguy
    replied

You are correct!! For a minute, I thought no one was playing. I have another trivia question on my other post. Can you go 2 for 2?

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied

Originally posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    OK, trivia time. On the memo below, what is the significance of the date the memo was received by Bonita Granville? Not the date it was sent, the date it was stamped "received."

Ground was broken on the hotel on March 18, 1955!

Leave a comment:

• oldhotelguy
    replied

OK, trivia time. On the memo below, what is the significance of the date the memo was received by Bonita Granville? Not the date it was sent, the date it was stamped "received."

Leave a comment:

• oldhotelguy
    replied

Originally posted by wiigirl View Post
    Loving this retro stuff!
    Happy to hear that!

Leave a comment:

• wiigirl
    replied

Loving this retro stuff!

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickeyBook
    replied

Great photos, Don! I, also, miss the huge falls that were removed. I finally found the old photo from the 1960's of my brother and me posing near the shops with the Hotel tower in the background. It is on display with other colledtibles of mine at our library until the end of the month. Then I'll post it for you to see.

Leave a comment:

• oldhotelguy
    replied

It's still a wonderful place to stay at and enjoy. My family loves many of the new features the Hotel now offers. Like Disneyland, it will never be completed!

Leave a comment:

• eicarr
    replied

Cool stuff. All those overhead shots of the marina and images of the waterfalls that are now gone remind me why I no longer have an interest in staying there. It had such a great master plan that recent changes have shown that it should have been demolished and rebuilt instead of the budget facelift. It reminds me of of the once spectacular and well planned Tomorrowland that's now just sad and awkward.

Leave a comment:

• fearmeloveme
    replied

These pictures are AWESOME!
    Just wondering, do you have any shots of the underwater arcade?

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

Awesome photos! I always love oldhotelguy's threads!

Leave a comment:

• steamboatpete
    replied

Here is one from 1978 just after the Bonita Tower opened....
    Marineland ... sigh.

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

Wow, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon. That brings back some long forgotten memories.

Thanks for posting all these. I love seeing pics of the Hotel in it's various incarnations but somehow it's even more interesting when it's official promo items with captions and something to anchor it to a point in time. Very, very cool. I miss how that Hotel used to be.

Leave a comment:

• Disneymike
    replied

I agree. People just loved those waterfalls.
    I loved them too.

Leave a comment:

• Disneymike
    replied

I miss Sgt Yukon's....
    Is that Larry Csonka doing a Tahitian dance? )

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Thanks for sharing all these great photos. Especially the ones of the marina. Some of my fondest memories of the hotel from childhood was just watching the water activity from my hotel balcony. I really miss this area of the hotel more than anything.

Leave a comment:

• oldhotelguy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Many of these items from my latest findings had the original memo still attached to the item from a Hotel executive usually addressed to Bonita Granville or Chris Wrather.
    More than history of the Disneyland Hotel's operations, these memos testify to how the Wrather family remained personally involved in the Hotel after Jack had passed away. Their involvement continued the warm, family feeling guests received from management and staff that was the hallmark of the DLH in those years.

As always, thank you very much Don for sharing these amazing items!

Leave a comment:

• oldhotelguy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X