X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dth316
    replied
    Re: High wind warnings

Was there yesterday. Absolutely no wind. In fact, during the fireworks, there was such little wind, that by the end of the show, you could barely see some of the fireworks because the smoke hadn't been blown away.

Leave a comment:

• Jerrbear
    replied

Well it's Sunday night, we watched the 9:00 Fantasmic presentation and there wasn't even a whiff of a breeze. It was stunningly great! Either the weatherman was desperately mistaken about the high winds, or I'm better at praying than I thought. Either way, I just want to thank everyone for your input and say never mind.

Leave a comment:

• DonaldMissingPants
    replied

Originally posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post

The one thing is that really amazed by is how fast a large scale firework show can be suddenly aborted. It seems like in the blink of an eye everything stops, the lights come on, and you the Disney guy come over the loudspeaker "Due to....". It was almost like hitting a light switch
    It is like hitting a light switch as the entire show is computerized. I've heard that these shows have an emergency stop switch but I'm not sure if there is much truth to this

Leave a comment:

• DisneylandTraveler
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Actually I was there one time when the fireworks were stopped mid-way due to high winds. After exiting the hub we walked towards Tomorrowland to go on SM. In the distance behind Innoventions the night sky occasionally would light up as if lightning was going off in the distance. And then it dawned on me that it was Friday and the Angels were having a home game that day. After every Friday home game they have a fireworks show.

And then I thought, why do high winds cause the Disneyland fireworks to cancel but apparently not the fireworks at Angel Stadium?
    I've also been in the park a few years ago where the wind and rain were so bad all nightly shows were cancelled and the park was closed two hours early. Of course by that time, most rides had closed down as well and the number of castmembers was probably greater than the number of guests in the park. The cost of a Disney fireworks show is thousands of dollars (I've heard anywhere from 30 to 60 thousand dollars depending on who you believe).

The one thing is that really amazed by is how fast a large scale firework show can be suddenly aborted. It seems like in the blink of an eye everything stops, the lights come on, and you the Disney guy come over the loudspeaker "Due to....". It was almost like hitting a light switch

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
    You are incorrect. Fireworks can be limited from being the full show.
    Actually I was there one time when the fireworks were stopped mid-way due to high winds. After exiting the hub we walked towards Tomorrowland to go on SM. In the distance behind Innoventions the night sky occasionally would light up as if lightning was going off in the distance. And then it dawned on me that it was Friday and the Angels were having a home game that day. After every Friday home game they have a fireworks show.

And then I thought, why do high winds cause the Disneyland fireworks to cancel but apparently not the fireworks at Angel Stadium?

Leave a comment:

• PetiteMortKvsh
    replied

I have seen on a few (very rare few) times when I worked there it was soooo windy that tables, umbrellas and trash cans were flying or being pushed with so much force that the park closed 2 hours early due to 'dangerous weather conditions.'
    But as I said this is very rare.
    Also sunglasses are a good thing to have if the wind changes directions during a show.

Leave a comment:

• StrikeYerColors
    replied

I don't know why anyone would complain about fireworks being canceled. I just don't understand; it's not a seperately ticketed event where you have to pay to watch the show. It's one of the best fireworks shows in the world and it is free; you can stand in the esplanade with a great view for $0.00! The only thing anyone is out is any time they put into getting a spot.
    Only APs come in for JUST fireworks at night and leave again; anyone else with a ticket is going to get their money's worth by a full day or even half day of other fun offerings at the park.

And if the wind is blowing the wrong direction, the burning fireworks fallout is going to land directly on the audience. I think if you told a complainer that the option other than canceling the show would be for them to get hit in the head with a flying cardboard tube and have their hair singed, they might rethink their position.

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

Originally posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    They've never put on a reduced show. the show may be stopped half way through but thats never planned out. If its windy: no show
    You are incorrect. Fireworks can be limited from being the full show.

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Back to the thread topic: if the winds are strong enough, the Skyway might shut down.

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

Originally posted by Jj94 View Post
    I don't know if this matters much to you, but the Golden Zephyr will also close during high winds.
    Hey, I really like the Golden Zephyr! It's my second favorite simple ride after Dumbo because, like Dumbo, it offers excellent views & the feeling of flight. (Why is it the GOLDEN Zephyr & not the Silver Zephyr?)

Back to the thread topic: if the winds are strong enough, the Skyway might shut down.

Leave a comment:

• Retrocool
    replied

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
    The "aww" that comes from everyone in the hub sounds like a studio audience from a 70's sitcom.
    :lmao:

Leave a comment:

• MrsMonroe
    replied

Fireworks go quickly from a reduced show to cancelled.
    They've never put on a reduced show. the show may be stopped half way through but thats never planned out. If its windy: no show

Leave a comment:

• jasmineray
    replied

King Arthur's Carousel does not operate during high winds.

Leave a comment:

• oddball
    replied

Also, if there are high winds you may also see umbrellas over tables closed and I think awnings too! :lol: As funny as that sounds, I'm serious, I've seen it.

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

Due to high winds they may also close the skyway from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland. ( ...and remove the cars, and the stations, and do it all 18 years ago just to be super safe. )

I could see those other attractions all being closed but like Swampy said, nothing's guaranteed to operate. Unlike other parks, it's kind of hard to find something at Disneyland or DCA that will truly be shut down from high winds. It's not like theme parks in Texas or Florida.

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

Originally posted by clara View Post
    It made me wonder how many times City Hall gets complaints when Fireworks and Fantastic are cancelled.

I can only guess. The line at night can be quite long to get into City Hall. Last time I remember exiting after a fireworks cancelation it was a little longer. Maybe 25-50 people were going to complain about the fireworks?

Leave a comment:

• clara
    replied

Generally if it's raining, there is nobody around who gives a crap. It can be windy on very busy days and many people get dissapointed. Disney will announce it but often not until thousands of people are sitting in the hub. No attractions are guarenteed to operate.
    Ah, I see.

Well, another reason I asked was because about two Saturdays ago, my kids pass was blocked out so we roamed DTD then decided to watch the fireworks from the Paradise Pier hotel roof. We heard the announcement that due to winds fireworks could be cancelled. Then the announcement that it was cancelled.

The people sitting behind us on the Paradise Pier roof were mad and complaining (Although I don't know why..they didn't pay to watch fireworks on the Paraidse Pier hotel roof.) I heard them saying to each other that Disney gives them nothing if they complain about fireworks being cancelled and that once when they were in the Park they had gone to the City Hall and complained another time they were cancelled and got nothing.

It made me wonder how many times City Hall gets complaints when Fireworks and Fantastic are cancelled.

Leave a comment:

• explodingboy
    replied

This brings up a question in my head..

When the fireworks or Fantastic are cancelled because of winds/rain, does City Hall get a flood of people complaining it was cancelled? I'm sure that they do. I wonder if these people ask for something in return or if Disney can just say they can't control "acts of God".
    Swampy pretty much summed it up. When it's raining, most people don't expect the fireworks and outdoor shows to happen so it's not really an issue. When they are cancelled from the wind, people can get pretty upset and I've seen it first hand. I wouldn't go as far as saying floods of people storm City Hall but I know for a fact they get complaints.

This is going to come off as really rude probably, but one of the funniest things I've ever heard is when they announce the cancellation of the fireworks right before the show is about to start. The "aww" that comes from everyone in the hub sounds like a studio audience from a 70's sitcom. I'm not laughing at their loss because surely that sucks, but the groaning is pretty funny.

It's not the fire that matters, unlike with F! and firework shows wthat shoot flaming objects in the sky which could drift off course and undesireably light something on fire. For WoC they can adjust the fountains including the spray screens downwards. This reduces the distribution of mist which would catch the light and ruin the clarity of the show. For F!, they can cancel the fireworks which is a small park of that show, but with rain the older, weaker spray screens can have more problems dealing with rain. For firworks they can limit the very high fireworks, then limit the characters flights, then you are basically down to half a show and if the wind is very stong they can't even shoot the low fireworks, that's why it is the most at risk to be outright cancelled.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me!

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

This brings up a question in my head..

When the fireworks or Fantastic are cancelled because of winds/rain, does City Hall get a flood of people complaining it was cancelled? I'm sure that they do. I wonder if these people ask for something in return or if Disney can just say they can't control "acts of God".
    Generally if it's raining, there is nobody around who gives a crap. It can be windy on very busy days and many people get dissapointed. Disney will announce it but often not until thousands of people are sitting in the hub. No attractions are guarenteed to operate.

Leave a comment:

• swampymarsh
    replied

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
    Do they just turn down the fire effects a bit at all or cancel them completely?
    It's not the fire that matters, unlike with F! and firework shows wthat shoot flaming objects in the sky which could drift off course and undesireably light something on fire. For WoC they can adjust the fountains including the spray screens downwards. This reduces the distribution of mist which would catch the light and ruin the clarity of the show. For F!, they can cancel the fireworks which is a small park of that show, but with rain the older, weaker spray screens can have more problems dealing with rain. For firworks they can limit the very high fireworks, then limit the characters flights, then you are basically down to half a show and if the wind is very stong they can't even shoot the low fireworks, that's why it is the most at risk to be outright cancelled.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X