Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Disneyland better now than it has ever been?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Is Disneyland better now than it has ever been?

I've always loved Disneyland, but there are of course some things that I wish were the "way they used to be". That being said, I think the park is still better than ever!

(I'm just talking about Disneyland proper, not the whole resort.)
    Yes, it is better than ever!
    40.00%
    No, it used to be better!
    60.00%
    Last edited by PiecesOfEight; 12-09-2012, 04:14 PM.

Re: Is Disneyland better now than it has ever been?

In spite of all the missteps along the way, yes it is a better place.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

The Disneyland of the late '60s and early '70s looks like a marvelous place. That said, I've only experienced the Disneyland of the later half of the '90s until now, so I can't realistically compare them. But I do think that the Disneyland of the '90s, although very similar to the current park, was a little bit better. No Jack Sparrow on Pirates, CBJ instead of Winnie the Pooh, no pirates on Tom Sawyer's Island, and Swiss Family Robison Treehouse instead of Tarzan's Treehouse.

However, DCA is definitely better than it's ever been.
      Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Are we talking Disneyland itself or the resort as a whole?

Comment

Originally posted by Disneymike View Post
          That's precisely why I voted NO.

If it said DLR I'd say yes. But Disneyland alone has just been left to idle, getting older all the time while DCA was vastly improved.
          Be Cool Stay in School!
          Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneymike View Post
            Disneyland, not Disneyland Resort.

Comment

i would say its a tie
              1967 and now
              but ive never went to the parks then
              Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

I'm sure there will be plenty of people chiming in with all the ways the park has declined since Walt's day (which with every passing day becomes a smaller and smaller portion of the park's existence), but I vote that it's better than ever.

Probably the best measurement is that more people are enjoying Disneyland today than ever before. Even if the park doesn't live up to some past glory, it is remarkable that it continues to serve more and more entertainment to more and more guests every year in a charming, safe and high quality setting - and that's what it's all about. Well, that and making money, which it also is doing better than ever.

I can hear the complaints already, that everything done to bring in all those guests and make all that money is what makes the park worse now than at some point in the past. Oh well. Hopefully someday the complainers will get the chance to take a time machine back to those long lost glory days and write a trip report for us.

Comment

I only long for days without wall to wall people. I remember spending 8 am to midnight with the kids and riding everything without a problem. The People Mover, The Rocket Rods and America Sings. The Plazza Inn when it was a sit down restaurant (how long ago was that)?

We now have DCA, with Sorin, Cars, Screaming and the Hyperion Theater with Grand Kids.

Better? I guess so, I just remember when..............................

Comment

For Disneyland specifically, I believe that it could be at its greatest point if Tomorrowland was completely revamped and Frontierland was expanded.

Comment

Give me Disneyland from between 1978 - 1985. I want the PeopleMovers, America Sings, Adventure Through Inner Space, Skyway through the Matterhorn and the Country Bear Jamboree.
                      Last edited by junkin jay; 12-09-2012, 07:00 PM.

sigpic

Comment

the DLR as a whole is the best is ever been!.. but disneyland park has seen better days

Comment

Originally posted by junkin jay View Post
                          Give me Disneyland from between 1978 - 1985. I want the PeopleMovers, America Sings, Adventure Through Inner Space, Skyway through the Matterhorn and the Country Bear Jamboree.

yeah me too. i would like to visit that time

Comment

I say no purely based on TL. My favorite times at Disneyland were in the 90s because I was in high school for the first part and got to experience TL 98 which I loved for the first couple years when everything was new.
                            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                            My company had a special night at the park
                            WdW trip report with WWoHP
                            NYE 2011 trip report
                            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                            Leap year 24 hour report
                            New DCA trip report
                            NYE 2012
                            HKDL trip report

Comment

The only conclusion I can draw for anyone thinking Disneyland today is better than ever is simply ignorance.

I would say 1983-1984 is without a doubt the high point. Tomorrowland has not been ruined, new Fantasyland is completed, Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain have opened. Electrical Parade is up and running, and there is not yet an invasion of movie based attractions

Comment

ORDDU: While there are many things we DON'T like about the current Disneyland--such as the removal of the Country Bears, the loss of the People Mover, along with the skyway, I suppose a coven of witches would still have to say that--over all--the park has become better over time. So that's how we voted. Of course our votes are subject to change without notice if too many more bone headed ideas come along--like the one to change Tom Sawyer's Island into a marketing campain for a movie about pirates. That was just so very wrong.

Comment

While there are many many things I miss about DL circa late 1970s - early 1990s, I can genuinely look at my memories and say that overall DL is a better place today.

I am smart enough and I know myself well enough to not count past emotion and sentimentality of the past as something DL gave me. I gave it to me.

I look at it by listing what we have now, what we had then, what we don't like now, and what we didn't like then. Add and subtract... yup, DL is a better place.

For those ppl that long for the decades passed (yound or old alike), you would quickly realize that you miss too many things about today's DL. You would also see that today's world has "spoiled" you and your contemporary POV would quickly trump many aspects of past DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rave View Post
                                    The only conclusion I can draw for anyone thinking Disneyland today is better than ever is simply ignorance.
                                    You would be totally wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bee1000 View Post
                                      I can hear the complaints already, that everything done to bring in all those guests and make all that money is what makes the park worse now than at some point in the past. Oh well. Hopefully someday the complainers will get the chance to take a time machine back to those long lost glory days and write a trip report for us.
                                      Sadly, I prefer the DL era from the mid 70's to mid 80's. That does not entail complaining about today's Park. Nor does it take a time machine to remember those days. Some day you will notice a person (older than yourself) standing on Main Street with a smile on their face or a tear in their eye for no apparent reason. There is a reason and a DeLorean is not needed to embrace those moments.

Problems with DL today as opposed to the past are partially TDA's fault & some are not. A great deal of the differences between DL today & in the past are due to the hours of operation. In the past, the park was not open 16 hours a day. In the long past, it was not even open seven days a week. This allowed for proper maintenance. The park was always pristine. Attractions didn't have the many 101's & malfunctioning aspects of today's offerings. The present crew tries their best but there is not enough time to fix everything every day.

Another flaw in today's DL is the quality of Cast Member. Due directly to the length of the DL day there are more shifts which means more cast members required to staff the park. Good people are hard to find. There is also the compounded problem that TDA had decided not to pay their cast members a living wage & has purposefully decided to cut back on training. There are wonderful cast members, but there just aren't as many as there used to be. DL used to be the model for training & retention of employees. That is no longer true. If you would like to see that model in action, go to any In-N-Out Burger.

Another reason that I prefer the DL of the past is that the guests were much nicer to each other. That is true of society as a whole. A jammed DL in 1982 was a much different experience than that of 2012. I have been to both. Guests used to grin & bear it together. Now it is a competition. There is also an air of entitlement and an undeniable intolerance for a differing point of view.
                                      I don't believe that this is an example of complaint, but simply an observation of what it used to be & what it is now. One's preference for a time when people were actually civil & respectful of each other may be a quaint concept today, but that does not mean that it is not desirable.
                                      Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
                                        The Disneyland of the late '60s and early '70s looks like a marvelous place. That said, I've only experienced the Disneyland of the later half of the '90s until now, so I can't realistically compare them. But I do think that the Disneyland of the '90s, although very similar to the current park, was a little bit better. No Jack Sparrow on Pirates, CBJ instead of Winnie the Pooh, no pirates on Tom Sawyer's Island, and Swiss Family Robison Treehouse instead of Tarzan's Treehouse.

However, DCA is definitely better than it's ever been.
                                        I agree completely. The only thing I can add is it's a lot more crowded these days, and there's no off-season anymore.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X