Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holographic Backgrounds for Disneyland Attractions - To Infinity and Beyond!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Holographic Backgrounds for Disneyland Attractions - To Infinity and Beyond!

New holographic technology may add an exciting element to such Disneyland Resort faves as Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, Pirates of the Caribbean, and others. Show scenes featuring animatronics (POTC) or limited motion figures (Astro Blasters) provide great foregrounds, but the limitation of existing show buildings create a shallow background. In order to add holographic elements to create that "stretching to infinity" illusion to enhance show scene backgrounds currently requires the Guests to wear special glasses or headgear. This new technology allows holographic backgrounds to be projected directly into the Guest's eyes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	disney hologram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	7370981

Imagine the possibilities of this technology. POTC backgrounds could become even more expansive than the current cavernous show building physically allows. For attractions like Astro Blasters, the outer space background would seem just like outer space. Physical limitations of any show building would no longer become a liability for the Imagineers.

What other Disneyland or California Adventure attractions would benefit from a refurbishment using this technology?
    sigpic

Re: Holographic Backgrounds for Disneyland Attractions - To Infinity and Beyond!

I have been wonding about this. Would newer holograms be better than the flat cutouts and backdrops that are in a handful or dark rides?

I think if so we will see one in a Disney Park soon, likely Shanghai or maybe Mystic Manor in HKDL, since LM and the Seven Dwarfs coaster have AAs in them.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Re: Holographic Backgrounds for Disneyland Attractions - To Infinity and Beyond!

Originally posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
      What other Disneyland or California Adventure attractions would benefit from a refurbishment using this technology?
      Could it make Jumpin Jellyfish seem like a good ride?
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
        Could it make Jumpin Jellyfish seem like a good ride?
        Haha! That's a tough ask!

Comment

I had worked on this exact effect in miniature. I wish I was 10 years older and I could have been a part of this!

Comment

Maybe it could be used in some of the Fantasyland dark rides.

Comment

Space Mountain...Tiki Room windows...Haunted Mansion load area...Indiana Jones dart corridor...Blue Bayou...

This could even open up possibilities of replicating daytime exterior scenes indoors, with blue skies that seem realistically far away.

That said, I can't make much out of that diagram. Do we have any techie people around who can interpret?

Comment

As long as they don't over use it....sure why not try it on Pirates, HM and what not...just don't over use it because what makes many of the classic rides good is how they are all physical sets and not just "fake" 3D tech
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Knowing the luck of Florida's Haunted Mansion, they'll probably test it out there first with the Hitchhiking Ghosts or something, lol. Or they'll do something really appropriate with it somewhere else. Maybe we'll be seeing it somewhere in the refurbished Big Thunder?
                  "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Deleted
                    WELCOME ABOARD
                    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

I could definitely see this implemented on tower of terror. The starfield and ghost people effect could look soo much better with this.

Comment

What would really be something is a system that doesn't require riders to wear special headgear. Until then, I think the impracticality of distributing and collecting holographic headgear to riders limits this to theater audiences.
                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Hopefully its done quickly
                          sigpic

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                            What would really be something is a system that doesn't require riders to wear special headgear. Until then, I think the impracticality of distributing and collecting holographic headgear to riders limits this to theater audiences.
                            I agree -- which is why I love this new system as it avoids any special glasses or viewing mechanism worn by the Guest. I am also glad that the Imagineers have not "gone crazy" with 3-D backgrounds in the past. As dazzling as the currently available technology is, it still is a pain to wear something and I usually get a mild headache if I experience too many of these attractions in a short period of time.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WDITrent View Post
                              Space Mountain...Tiki Room windows...Haunted Mansion load area...Indiana Jones dart corridor...Blue Bayou...

This could even open up possibilities of replicating daytime exterior scenes indoors, with blue skies that seem realistically far away.
                              I agree with everything here except for Space Mountain. I would worry that this would create too much light pollution that seems to always be a problem with any new effect that they put in. One of the great things about the 2005 remodel was that a lot of the light pollution was removed.
                              "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X