• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Syndrome
    Your Nemesis
    • Aug 2009

[Question] Pirate Exchange

This proposal is for those of you who are unhappy with the Jack Sparrow AAs in POTC and dislike new rides being themed to films.

In exchange for restoring POTC to its original form, which means removing all existing movie tie-ins, a second Pirates ride would be built. This second ride would be completely based on the films, would only include characters from the movies, and the ride's story would be similar to, if not a replication of, one from the films. In addition, because Pirates of the Caribbean is a somewhat limiting theme, the ride would most likely be a boat ride similar to the current attraction.

Would you be for or against such a ride?
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!
  • Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Re: Pirate Exchange

Originally posted by Syndrome View Post
    Would you be for or against such a ride?
    I would be against a Pirates of the Jerry Bruckheimer Movie Franchise ride. I'm against the idea of turning Disneyland into a series of advertisements for brand franchises. Unfortunately, that kind of low I.Q. ride (I.Q. meaning Imagination Quotient) is the only thing Disney will greenlight any more.

As author Neil Gabler said of Disney's reliance on brand marketeering, "You don't need imagination or art. All you need is a brand." That, and millions of branded-lifestyle consumers willing to pay big bucks to see product advertisements and brand marketing pitches.

What I'd be for is taking the Bruckheimer crap out of Pirates of the Caribbean.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

• calsig31
      -
      • Aug 2009

Can we create an Eddie Murphy version of the Haunted Mansion as well? Maybe a white line down the center of the island where half of it is ruled by Depp and the other side by Tom and Huck? Maybe an all Disney character version of Small World next door to the classic version?

How about a movie version of the Country Bears to play next door to the bears at Disney World?

I realize this comes off as sarcastic, but it really illustrates the slippery slope that something like that could lead to. It would be much better if the movie tie-ins on Pirates were limited to one Jack Sparrow animotronic that was relegated to the background as kind of an easter egg for the fans, or even better yet if the ride was never bastardized with the movie tie-ins to begin with.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• MrsMonroe
        I am not a Krusty Krab
        • Jun 2012

I'd love it, i dont mind jack in POTC its just he appears too much. its overdone
        sigpic

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Comment

• MrsMonroe
          I am not a Krusty Krab
          • Jun 2012

Mr. Wiggins, why are you so negative on anything new at Disneyland?
          sigpic

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Comment

• calsig31
            -
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MrsMonroe View Post
            It's not that people are against new things at Disneyland. It is a downer when the new thing is of lower quality than the thing it replaced. Even worse when new things that are put in are done so just to market the Disney brand such as adding characters to rides and restaurants that never had them before and were far superior without them.
            "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• oddball
              MiceChatter
              • Aug 2010

The movie was based off of the ride, so why is it so bad that you have spot appearances by Barbosa and Jack in the ride. Barbosa replaced an unknown captain and what exactly did Jack replace? Not much maybe a pirate in the barrel. It's so minimal that it's laughable that anyone complains about it.

Comment

• Syndrome
                Your Nemesis
                • Aug 2009

I'm not sure if Mr. Wiggins actually dislikes everything new or if he, like many on MC, he's just critical. I think people here can be overcritical at times, but usually, they're spot on. Regardless, I tend to agree with them. If even half of Disney's new attractions were not film-based, I think there would be a lot less complaining on MC.

Comment

• calsig31
                  -
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by oddball View Post
                  The movie was based off of the ride, so why is it so bad that you have spot appearances by Barbosa and Jack in the ride. Barbosa replaced an unknown captain and what exactly did Jack replace? Not much maybe a pirate in the barrel. It's so minimal that it's laughable that anyone complains about it.
                  It's not minimal. Jack Sparrow has been added three times on the ride. One of which is a complete reworking of the final scene, another, they completely changed the dialogue of the well scene so it is now about finding Jack Sparrow instead of the treasure. The ride's dark and foreboding dialogue in the tunnel was replaced when they added the mist screen with the squid head dude and the movie Black Beard. If it was really as minimal as just replacing the cat in the barrel with Jack Sparrow, I don't think there would be that much of an issue.

Originally posted by Syndrome View Post
                  I'm not sure if Mr. Wiggins actually dislikes everything new or if he, like many on MC, he's just critical. I think people here can be overcritical at times, but usually, they're spot on. Regardless, I tend to agree with them. If even half of Disney's new attractions were not film-based, I think there would be a lot less complaining on MC.
                  Exactly. It's not that people are against new additions or movie tie-ins. Movie tie-ins definitely have a place at Disneyland and should be there. The problem is that everything now has to have whether or not it fits its surroundings or not. The trick is to maintain a delicate balance of tie-ins and original attractions. Tip the scale too far in either direction and people will complain.

When CA Adventure opened, it was all original rides with no characters. Now the pendulum has swung back in the other direction so that everything now is character driven and there is no originality. It would be nice if they would swing it back the other way again and stop it in the middle so that there is an even mix of both.

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                    It's not that people are against new things at Disneyland. It is a downer when the new thing is of lower quality than the thing it replaced. Even worse when new things that are put in are done so just to market the Disney brand such as adding characters to rides and restaurants that never had them before and were far superior without them.
                    Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                    It's not that people are against new additions or movie tie-ins. Movie tie-ins definitely have a place at Disneyland and should be there. The problem is that everything now has to have whether or not it fits its surroundings or not. The trick is to maintain a delicate balance of tie-ins and original attractions. Tip the scale too far in either direction and people will complain.
                    Bingo x2!

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Pizzapants
                      Inappropriate
                      • Mar 2005

Where would this second ride be built? Sorry, I'm hung up on the logistics of the situation.

Click the banner! ^^^^
                      Follow us on Twitter
                      @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                      Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

• Syndrome
                        Your Nemesis
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
                        Where would this second ride be built? Sorry, I'm hung up on the logistics of the situation.
                        I intentionally left that out because I'm wasn't sure myself.

It would have to go in either NoS or a 3rd gate. I'll leave that for you to decide.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                          Beach Expert
                          • Sep 2006

Because overall Disneyland's quality is slipping exponentially every day. The place stinks compared to how it was years ago. That's why I've stopped going or more accurately not as much as I used to.

Comment

• Retrocool
                            Banned User
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                            Because overall Disneyland's quality is slipping exponentially every day. The place stinks compared to how it was years ago. That's why I've stopped going or more accurately not as much as I used to.
                            Why do you hate Disneyland? Did Michael Eisner let his dog poop on your lawn or something?

Anyway, while I would definitely love a return to the original POTC attraction, theoretically at least, I'm not opposed to a POTC attraction based on the Bruckheimer franchise....except....like someone else already said - where would it go?

Still, considering that the film franchise is so inextricably tied in with the original attraction's story in a variety of ways, I'm not entirely sure how a POTC attraction based on the films would play out, storywise. It may seem too similar to the original as to be superfluous.

Comment

• biggsworth
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2009

Nope my wish is to remove Jack because he is forced into the ride and I think they ruined the attraction. I don't mind movie based attractions from inception but when they start adding things to popular rides for no reason I kind of shake my head. having two pirate rides would be overkill when the orignal POTC is enough.
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

• PiecesOfEight
                                MiceChatter
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                                Nope my wish is to remove Jack because he is forced into the ride and I think they ruined the attraction.
                                I think saying the ride is ruined is a bit much. I prefer the "old" POTC, but I still enjoy the ride and do not think it is ruined. It is still one of the best rides in the park.

Comment

• ttintagel
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Mar 2011

I don't mind a LITTLE Captain Jack Sparrow, but they've overdone it to a ridiculous amount.

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

I've written numerous posts on how I feel about Eisger's "new Disneyland" and the ridiculous "you just don't want Disneyland to change/you want Disneyland to remain a museum" label that keeps getting slapped on anyone who criticizes it. The following post perhaps summarizes it best:

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                    Who says "Disneyland must never be touched?" Those of us who were adult Disneyland fans in the decades before Eisger always looked forward to Disneyland changing. We became used to Disneyland constantly changing for the better. Changes that gave us not only more than we expected, but more than we could imagine. The Viewliner became the Monorail. The Phantom Boats became the Submarine Voyage. Tomorrowland '55 became Tomorrowland '67. Fantasyland '55 became Fantasyland '83. Cam-and-lever figures became Audio Animatronics. The Tiki Room, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion were mindblowing in their day.

Year after year, Disneyland was an ever-changing showcase of progress, a place of constant plussing. "Change For The Better" was the standard that Disneyland held itself to. "Change For The Better" was the standard that we expected as kids, teenagers and adults.

In comparison, much of the change Disney has offered in the last two decades is change for the worse. Tomorrowland '67 became Tomorrowland '98. America Sings became Innoventions. Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space became the Finding Nemo Underwater Kiddie Video. Swiss Family Treehouse became a Tarzan Disney Store display. Tahitian Terrace became Aladdin's Oasis, which became a ghost restaurant. PeopleMover became Rocket Rods, which became a ghost attraction. The Motorboat Cruise was replaced with... a smoking area. The Skyway was replaced with... nothing. Landmarks like Fort Wilderness and Cascade Peak were allowed literally to rot. Unique, land-specific merchandise was replaced by generic character crap in every store. Year after year, until it became obvious that when Disney made a change, the result would often be worse than what it replaced. Until it became clear that to today's Disney Corporation, "change" is just an excuse for jamming brands, brands and more brands into rides, stores and restaurants, whether they fit or not. Until "upgrade" became a code word for downgrade.

This post says it even better:

Originally posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
                                    We don't want an exact recreation of the Disneyland of the past. We want a Disneyland that reflects the levels of style, imagination, creativity, story, artistry, character, sophistication, and immersiveness of the past.
                                    To that list I'd only add two words: "Customer Service."

Gatheringrosebuds' post should be on a billboard where every Disneyland employee and their beancounting bosses can see it every day.
                                    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Sambo
                                      Down Pluto!
                                      • Feb 2005

Department of Redundancy Department

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

• Retrocool
                                        Banned User
                                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                                        Department of Redundancy Department
                                        You can say that again!

:lmao:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse