Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Time for Disneyland's Fantasyland to Receive a WDW-Like Makeover?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Is It Time for Disneyland's Fantasyland to Receive a WDW-Like Makeover?

The newly opened Fantasyland at WDW looks fantastic! Click on the hypertext below to read about it in the New York Times article:

WDW's New Fantasyland

Click image for larger version

Name:	23-disneycover-map-popup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	7371104

Note that the only dark ride remaining from 1971's opening day will be Peter Pan. Which begs the question: Would Disneyland be improved with a similar, sweeping remake of our Fantasyland? Or are we better off having our Disneyland Fantasyland experience remaining nostalgic and unique?
    sigpic

Re: Is It Time for Disneyland's Fantasyland to Receive a WDW-Like Makeover?

Ours is far superior. I wouldn't want to change it for Disney World's.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

To turn Disneyland's Fantasyland into WDW's Fantasyland, the first thing you'd need to do is shut down about a half dozen rides. You'd need to close Toad, Alice, Pinnochio, Snow White, StorybookLand and Casey Jr. Circus Train. Then in their place you could build one plasticky Omnimover based on an Eisner-era animation/marketing juggernaut. After your done closing most of the rides, you would add a couple of meet n' greets to sell photos and tiaras at. And then for the cherry on top, someone from TDA would need to go down to the county courthouse in Santa Ana and apply for a new liquor license so the remade Village Haus restaurant could sell booze to all the parents with headaches after waiting in an hour long line for the meet n' greet. Ta-Da! There's your New Fantasyland, WDW Style!

Comment

No. Ours still has more attractions, superior theming, and generally better attractions.

Comment

No. The Fantasyland we see today is the one that Walt had supposedly intended to have. The only reason it had the medieval tent fair look for so long was because time and money was running too low to justify doing back then.

In any case, maybe they could build on the Motor Boat Cruise area, but the preexisting land we see is fine the way it is.
          My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
          2. Pirates of the Caribbean
          3. Splash Mountain
          4. Mad Tea Party
          5. Peter Pan's Flight
          6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

Tomorrowland should be the priority right now.

Comment

I like DLs far more except for the castle, which looks small in comparison. So I'd build a gargoyle castle and shut down the awful rides in tomorrowland Seriously, fantasyland is fine, DL just needs a better tomorrowland or get rid of the tomorrow land theme and reinvent the land. Maybe starwarsland

Comment

Originally posted by thedude76 View Post
                DL just needs a better tomorrowland or get rid of the tomorrow land theme and reinvent the land. Maybe starwarsland
                Maybe a reinvention or an improvement (or both), but not a rename.
                My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                2. Pirates of the Caribbean
                3. Splash Mountain
                4. Mad Tea Party
                5. Peter Pan's Flight
                6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

I love Disneyland's Fantasyland . . . but I don't like the Fantasyland Theatre, or Toontown. I know some people like Rogger Rabbit, but I haven't ridden the ride in years. Even so, they could keep Roger Rabbit, demolish stuff to the west of it in Toontown, and take out the Fantasyland theatre and they'd have enough room for Fantasyland rides like the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and a couple of dark rides, and a new restaurant, maybe Be Our Guest? Heck, there's enough room to fit their entire Fantasyland courtyard in this area. I say expand Disneyland's Fantasyland. If they wanted to add a big ride to Toontown, they could demolish some of TDA's buildings behind the Toontown mountains.

Remember, MK got a Fantasyland Expansion, (if you don't look at Snow White being taken out.)

Comment

its great right know
                    but there can be some upgrading in the dark rides and others.
                    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

Disney needed to do something with the WDW MK Fantasyland because the Disneyland version, while cramped in places, is a far more richly themed area. Not that there isn't room for improvement in the DL version. Will that 7 Dwarfs Mine Train fit in the ToonTown footprint (other than Roger Rabbit which is a keeper)?
                      Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

The only issue I have with DL Fantasyland is that it is very small, scrunched and claustrophobic, since it's usually pretty packed. That being said, DL's attractions are far, far, far superior and I wouldn't want to see any of them go.
                        WDW: March 2004, August 2005, Summer 2006, March 2012, July 2013, December 2013/January 2014
                        DL: April 2011, December 2011, December 2012/January 2013, June 2014, December 2016, May 2017, October 2017, December 2017
                        HKDL: July 2016

Comment

Should Disneyland get WDW's New Fantasyland? Absolutely not. Should Disneyland receive a similar treatment? Yes.

I'm talking about giving Disneyland Park the same overhaul that DCA got recently. It doesn't have to be on the same scale--we definitely don't need an entirely new land and three new attractions, but Disneyland could use some park-wide refreshing as well as reinvigorating spirit into the lesser parts of the park.

Comment

Originally posted by thedude76 View Post
                            DL just needs a better tomorrowland or get rid of the tomorrow land theme and reinvent the land. Maybe starwarsland
                            Tomorrowland just needs an overhaul, not to be replaced with a new concept. As for Star Wars, I'm fine with them adding a Star Wars land as an expansion to the park somewhere, but it should never be considered as a replacement for Tomorrowland.
                            "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Tomorrowland should be a priority, followed by Froniterland, but I think that remodeling Fantasyland to include new rides and such on the old Motor Boat Cruise and Small World Mall area would be great. But first, they should focus on Tomorrowland
                              ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME :vogue:

Comment

I think as of right now, it shouldn't be changed. The priorities should go Tomorrowland, then Frontierland, and then I think after those two lands were refurbished, what with all the time that would have passed, it would feel appropriate to patch up Fantasyland, but of course, that would be a long ways away.
                                - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
                                  Maybe a reinvention or an improvement (or both), but not a rename.
                                  Given how slow Disney is to evolve parts of its parks, it's gonna be tough to keep the Tomorrowland theme going. Disney should just throw in the towel and let bloggers handle it. Then, the space could be used for other stuff. Maybe an adventureland with WDWs old restaurant: Explorer Club? Or a steampunkland? There are a lot of different themes out there that Disney could experiment that would be more timeless. Tomorrowland is basically DLs EPCOT, which is definitely showing its age.

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                                    Ours is far superior. I wouldn't want to change it for Disney World's.
                                    ^^^ Simply well put and echoed by others.

Disneyworld in essence got a ride DLR already has, a big restaurant DLR doesn't seem to yet need, a little coaster, and nice M&G areas.

DL is currently getting a nice M&G area, so all that we would really be missing is the new coaster, of course we have THE MATTERHORN, so who cares.

When I get to WDW I may come back liking thier FL better than DL's, or not, I'll see.
                                    Be Cool Stay in School!
                                    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

I LOVE our Fantasyland. No way could Florida even come close to being as good as ours.
                                      I worked in Florida for a year, and we never spent a lot of time in the MK. They needed the upgrade! They had a bunch of empty land over there for a long time....after the subs were taken out that area sat empty for a long time, and a playground didn't cut it.
                                      Anyways it's nice to have other parks that are different, or why would we want to go visit other states or country's if they were all the same.
                                      Little and broken, but still good.

Comment

Although it's been a few decades, Disneyland got its Fantasyland redo in 1982. Since then, the land has basically worked, with exceptional theming. sure, it needs a nip and tuck here and there, but it maintains a high quality of theming and imersion.
                                        Walt Disney World's Fantasyland never got that. So they needed it while Disneyland didn't.

Tomorrowland is in more need of a refurbishment than Frontierland, although I'd like to see Frontierland get reinvigorated. But FL still works. Its theming is still imaculate. Tomorrowland needs the redo that Fantasyland got in the 1980s.
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X