This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Security Protocols

I'm currently an apprentice with the local college police department.

We just completed NIMS training which is national incident management training. Which is basically large scale operations for major events.

My sergeant and I were wondering how Disneyland handles incidents... we have events on campus every day, and we handle them really well, but we are wondering if we are missing something or could possibly handle them more efficiently and got to talking about how Disneyland would cope being that they probably see twice to three times as many people a day as we do.

Does anyone know, or would anyone know who to contact to find out about how they handle (I'm aware Anaheim PD is brought in for some of it) these:

- arrests/detaining subjects
    - sick individuals that perhaps collapse in a ride cue/heartattacks, etc.
    - suspicious packages/persons
    - shoplifting
    - disorderly people
    - crowd control in general
    - evacuations
    - and other emergency situations that would require quick thinking,
    communication and swift organization

We are also interested to know if there is like a lead of security that handles training or officers as they are hired or if there is an outside company that does it or if it is something proprietary to Disney that might happen even off sight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Disneyland Security Protocols

Although I can't speak for exact procedures, all cast members are taught the basics for some of those situations listed. The parks are broken down into sectors for a safe and orderly evacuation. Cast Members are assigned places to assist in the evacuation and guide guests to designated areas. The security department is operated like a police department with its own partrol dogs. Being that the security officers are not a police force the powers of arrest don't apply but the detention of people is applicable. A property holder can detain and ask questions but when the need arises the arresting officer will be someone from the local jurisdiction. Injury and illness are best handled off stage... only in the most extreme emergency will paramedic units drive on stage from designated areas, most cases people will be taken off stage in a wheelchair. Suspicious packages are delt with very seriously and the security department have programs in place that ask every cast member to report suspious packages and objects around the workplace. Disneyland also has its own fire department which is capable of responding to any emergency as a first responder, however my best guess would be that Anaheim Fire Department is always around the corner.

As a military law enforcement officer and a non-security cast member I am actually impressed with the quality of the security department. I am actually embarressed in saying that I feel a bit more secure at the resort than I do on some military bases.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyCopSB
      I am actually embarressed in saying that I feel a bit more secure at the resort than I do on some military bases.
      Wow! That is amazing!

Do you know more about the protocol, like who is incharge in an emergency, or now the chain of command works?

We were wondering about the specifics about the way they run things. You provided an excellent overview, but can you give any specifics?

In all the years I've been going to the parks, I've heard about things happening (a white powder in the pier area after 911, heartattacks, BTM, Screamin accidents...) but never see them with my own eyes, so any specifics are appreciated.

Comment

I have been witness to an on stage medical emergency in december. It around 8 pm after the christmas parade on some random friday and caused the CM's to loose complete control of main street.

someone had this medical emergency and DLR security went running to block off the watch shop wile the paramedicts brought the guest into the shop. At that point they pulled cast members from the area to block off the walk ways to the watch shop. Paramedicts were on stage, but out of sight because the watch shop was completely closed.

because they pulled allot of the CM's from main street parades to the watch shop, they lost all control of main street. it took me almost an hour to get down main street because there were no ropes up and no walk ways with half of the guests in the street waiting to watch the fireworks. at that point they started sending all foot traffic that was leaving the park through back stage because main street was indeed lost.

It was interesting to watch... Not that I had a choice since I couldnt walk anywhere. I thought it wasn't handled very well. When they had to think on their feet they gave up all control over the crowd to do so.

Comment

Again I can't speak intelligently about the actual standard operating procedures the security department follows. I can say that in the event of an emergency the cast member first on site calls 911 from any resort phone. The resort has a central communications center that receives the 911 calls. Cell phones, because of the proximity to the freeway get routed to CHP. CHP receives the call and reports it to the communications center, thus cell phones don't necessarily expedite getting help. Medical emergencies are responded to by registered nurses from First Aid. Then are usually met behind first aid with a paramedic unit.

Best I can figure, and this comes from observations I've made while in the park as a guest, is that the security staff is broken up into several areas. Each park and hotel having "zones" that have fixed post and foot patrol security. Each zone probably has a lead. Over those leads is probably a "watch commander" that probably reports so a security manager.

Comment

I have heard that as well. If you have an emergency at Disneyland to use one of the resort phones to call 911.

Plus, in alot of cases, cell phone reception at the resort really sucks.

Comment

Usually Disneyland has their security undercover...they'll dress as a guest, but there are a few tell-tale signs, if you know them.

I'd suggest that you looked at David Koenig's Mouse Tales books. There's a whole chapter on Disneyland security and stories.

Comment

Originally posted by pineapplewhipaddict
                Usually Disneyland has their security undercover...they'll dress as a guest, but there are a few tell-tale signs, if you know them.

I'd suggest that you looked at David Koenig's Mouse Tales books. There's a whole chapter on Disneyland security and stories.
                oh yeah! great idea! never thought of that! (duh!)

Comment

Originally posted by NavyCopSB
                  Again I can't speak intelligently about the actual standard operating procedures the security department follows. I can say that in the event of an emergency the cast member first on site calls 911 from any resort phone. The resort has a central communications center that receives the 911 calls. Cell phones, because of the proximity to the freeway get routed to CHP. CHP receives the call and reports it to the communications center, thus cell phones don't necessarily expedite getting help.

All 911 calls on cell phones go to the CHP. You then need to request that they transfer your call to your local jurisdiction. That can be time consuming.

It is best if you call your local PD (on their non-emergency line) and ask for their direct line for emergencies. They all have them. Then program that number into your cell phone.

Of course, while traveling, the CHP route works best, since you won't know the various PD's direct numbers.

Since we travel often to the DL Resort, we have Anaheim PD's number as well as DL's security number programmed in our cell phone. Just in case...

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMickey
                    Since we travel often to the DL Resort, we have Anaheim PD's number as well as DL's security number programmed in our cell phone. Just in case...
                    out of curiosity then, what is the number for DL security?
                    (if you don't want to post it here, please PM me!)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X