X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Traveling Through Time to Disneyland 1957

Here's a fun question for everyone:

You're suddenly whisked away through a time warp to Disneyland in 1957.

What attraction do you check out first and foremost?

Keep in mind: no Matterhorn, no Monorail, no Submarine Voyage, no Adventure Thru Inner Space, no Space Mountain, no Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, no Haunted Mansion, no Pirates of the Caribbean... so....where do you go first?

You might want to bring a lunch, too, just in case.

You may need a map (this one's from 1958; not exact but it will have to do) -

Re: Traveling Through Time to Disneyland 1957

Wow, that is beautiful footage! I got choked up during the nighttime shots at the end!

I don't know where I would head first, but I would certainly love to take in every single nook and cranny of THAT Disneyland. So beautiful and fresh, with a wonderful sense of innocence.

I would probably head to something I never came close to seeing, like the Pack Mules, or the Conestoga Wagons. I think Frontierland in general back then would be a must see.

Comment

Two thumbs up to this thread.

Comment

GREAT Thread!! That video is incredible... just watched it fullscreen in HD mode.

I'd probably go hit Frontierland for the pack mules, the original Fantasyland to grab a tuna sandwhich on Cpt. Hooks ship and to dine at Skull Rock, and Tomorrowland (EVERYTHING was different) as my priorities.

It's funny watching these... some things look almost the same, some areas of the park are unrecognizable.

If I ever got my hands on a flux capacitor, 1962 would be my Disneyland Destination year of choice, just to get everything listed above plus the subs, Matterhorn, and full Monorail track.

Comment

Tour thru House of the Future, eat at Chicken of the Sea, climb Skull Rock and ride the beloved Skyway like 5 times. Throughout my day I'd ask every CM if Walt is in the park today.

Micenation

Comment

Awesomeness at it's best. A park not packed to the gills....sigh. No fast pass, no annual passholders, and.... customers who gave a crap about how they looked before they left the house. I'd take that Disneyland over today's Disneyland...no problem.

Comment

I would go on the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, since I never got to go on that version of it, I only went on Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, which didn't open until 1960. Here's my sister (facing the camera, short blond hair) riding it on August 27, 1956. Note that they had live narration at that time; in later years it was recorded.

Comment

Amazing video, thanks for posting it!

Not sure what I would do first, but knowing me I'd likely do what Id always do; Take a left at the hub and work my way around.

Incidentally I'd also head out of the part and invest heavily into Gold and purchase as much land as I could around central Florida,
                I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by orbitalpunk View Post
                  Throughout my day I'd ask every CM if Walt is in the park today.
                  I saw a documentary where they said all the Cast Members knew when Walt was at the Park if they saw the lamp on in the window above the firehouse. Walt loved to look out that window from his apartment watching people enjoy Main Street USA. I also heard that he would also be found many mornings having breakfast at the River Belle Terrace overlooking the Rivers of America. So to answer what attraction I would want to see if I had a time machine? None. I want to meet Walt!

Comment

House of the Future!!!

Comment

Wasn't the Viewliner active in '57? You don't see too many pictures of that ride - very short lived as I recall.

Comment

What a nice idea for a thread! I would definitely take a ride on the Skyway first.

Comment

Was Tom Sawyer's Island around then? I'd go there!

Comment

I'd ride in the Main Street Fire Wagon to the hub after seeing some silent movies and the marching band. Head for Frontierland for a mint julep on the Mark Twain and a pepsi-cola at the Golden Horseshoe Revue. Hit the Rainbow Caverns mine ride and stagecoach. Then go where ever the wind blows the rest of the day. Maybe Rocket to the Moon?

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA.

"THAT'S R
                            IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Comment

1957 would be 4 years before I was born. I'd hit the Jungle Cruise, the Skyway and the Mine Train (one of my favorites as a kid). And since I was whisked back from today I'd delete all my iPod apps to free up memory and start taking pictures. Boy to have modern video equipment back then.
                              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X