• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Retrocool
    Banned User
    • Sep 2007

Re: small world delayed due to dignitary

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
    I agree with everyone else! It's not like people can pick out the Sultan of Brunie in the crowd.
    He's really not that hard to spot.

This is a photo of him is more casual attire -

The Sultan (you would address him as "Your Majesty") is worth a reported $20 billion. Has his own personal Boeing 767 Jumbo Jet. Has a car collection reportedly worth around $300 million (classic cars, Ferraris & other supercars, mostly).

The net worth of Queen Elizabeth II of the UK, as a comparison? A mere $450 million.

Yeah, so, you know, guns are necessary to protect this guy, even at Disneyland. Never know who might want to take him out, or where.

When heads of state visit Disneyland, trust that they have armed security around them for protection. Don't be alarmed. It just goes with the job.

Comment

• calsig31
      -
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post

He looks a little like Tony Stark in this picture. Maybe he was in town for an early Iron Man III promotion.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• jayshap
        New MiceChatter
        • Sep 2010

i've never even heard of Brunie lol...oops.

Comment

• jbean
          MiceChatter
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
          He's really not that hard to spot.

This is a photo of him is more casual attire -

The Sultan (you would address him as "Your Majesty") is worth a reported $20 billion. Has his own personal Boeing 767 Jumbo Jet. Has a car collection reportedly worth around $300 million (classic cars, Ferraris & other supercars, mostly).

The net worth of Queen Elizabeth II of the UK, as a comparison? A mere $450 million.

Yeah, so, you know, guns are necessary to protect this guy, even at Disneyland. Never know who might want to take him out, or where.

When heads of state visit Disneyland, trust that they have armed security around them for protection. Don't be alarmed. It just goes with the job.

Its true! I'm still surprised there aren't photos of this guy with his armed men but according to my security friend, the sultan visits a couple times a year. He brings his extremely large family with him and he is allowed his armed security team. Supposedly he has requested to have the park to himself but Dland has denied his request.

Comment

• Nephythys
            Original Mice-Chatter
            • Jan 2005

If the POTUS went to DL the secret service would be there with guns too. Comes with the job.
            Last edited by Nephythys; 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Retrocool
              Banned User
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jayshap View Post
              i've never even heard of Brunie lol...oops.
              Brunei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Brunei, officially the Nation of Brunei, the Abode of Peace, is a sovereign state located on the north coast of the island of Borneo, in Southeast Asia.

Comment

• Sparky
                • Aug 2005

Glad to find this thread. A friend and I were at the parks that day because we were doing the AP Golden Horseshoe show that night. We decided to catch Aladdin because neither of us had seen in for awhile. We noticed that a sizable section of seating not far from where we were sitting was roped off and then some people were brought in and were seated there. There were several Disney suits and some kind of stern looking guys in suits with them. (I did not see any guns) We passed right in front of them when we were exiting after the show was over, as they were still there. We thought they must be "somebody" because of all the fuss but never found out who they were. Now we know!

Comment

• calsig31
                  -
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                  Now we know!
                  And knowing is half the battle! GI Joe!
                  "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• Zeb
                    Sock Puppet
                    • Jan 2013

In public, our secret service displays full security garb, when tending to other dignitaries and important officials. I doubt they did so inside DL. I'd be willing to bet the security was well armed but not visibly armed. Im sure the Sultan paid a high price for his group to enjoy DL.

Comment

• HunterRose13
                      MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2011

Other than uniformed officers a good psd, while well armed, would be discreet. Someone may flash a weapon if their suit coat was pushed back, but they tend to be pretty good about keeping the firepower out of sight. It is likely that there was more than one layer of security and what was seen was only what was by design most visible.

As for the comment about CCW holders carrying in Disneyland, while possible, it is not as likely as other areas as CA permits numbers are pretty low per capita. Disneyworld on the other hand would likely have a goodly number of CCW holders carrying as FL has a good number of CCW holders and honors most other states.

Very cool for the Sultan to be in the park with Joe Public. Lots of work for his psd though. It would be cool to see some pictures of how he rolls.

Comment

• sgtfox
                        DL College Program 97/98
                        • Feb 2008

^ Agreed on this. I know a whole lot of folks that conceal carry at WDW. Officially, Disney's policy is that firearms are not permitted at the parks or resorts and you're requested to check your piece with the front desk or leave it locked in your vehicle, however most people I know just carry anyways, since it's not actually illegal (assuming you have a CCW), it's just a violation of Disney's policy to do so.

DL seems like it would have less carry due to California's... ahem... thorough regulatory structure when it comes to firearms, but I suspect there are still a whole lot of folks carrying. You have to remember, under FLEOSA, anyone who is or was ever in law enforcement in any way in the entire country can legally conceal carry, even in California. It would be a violation of Disney's policies to do so, but I would be shocked if all those off duty and retired law enforcement types that are taking the grand-kids to Disneyland disarmed before doing so.

Comment

• sediment
                          Banned User
                          • Jan 2005

I think people who need that much security should visit the park at around 2AM.

Comment

• swampymarsh
                            Under that tree again!
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                            I think people who need that much security should visit the park at around 2AM.
                            When you think you all the income of a country should go into your bank account, you stop thinking about other people.
                            Be Cool Stay in School!
                            Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X