• Show
Clear All

• michael eisner
    replied
    i like the color blue and long walks on the beach and holding hands

Leave a comment:

• crinklebat
    replied
    I diss the theming consciously, and wish there was a hub, and all of that, but I have dreams regularly about both parks, and in my dreams, DCA is way better. Last time I dreamt about Disneyland proper, they had moved this huge mountain of coal into Main St USA and I was trying to get to all these places but I swear, everywhere I turned there was a marching band in my way. It was crowded, noisy, and inconvenient.

By contrast, I've had two dreams about DCA that honestly amazed and delighted me - one in which ToT was this incredibly immersive virtual reality experience that reacted to your thoughts and observations about the environment, and another in which Disney had taught some chimpanzees to talk and I spend a good half-hour discussing life in the park with one of them.

(I know, I'm extremely weird.)

Now, I know that dreams and reality are not the same (heh), but basically what this says to me is that I can see potential in DCA. It doesn't have these legacy rides that are sacred to its fans, or a huge base of people who go there all the time. There's still room for it to grow and change direction. And I think one day, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day, it's going to be a great park. I think it's the place in the resort where technologies can be tested and ideas can be thrown against the wall to see if they stick. They try not to mess around too much with DL these days because, for example, there is a vocal group of people who will weep and scream if Mr Lincoln, who I've never seen with more than ten people in the entire auditorium, were to glow away forever. DCA, though, has nowhere to go but up. I like that.

Leave a comment:

• Metal God
    replied
    dca is turning into a good park. I like TOT, both coasters, muppet show,soarin, and I like the design most of it looks pretty cool. Needs more shade though. gotta get some trees going. needs a little more personality also. something of its own. Just dont know what yet.

Leave a comment:

• Druggas
    replied
    Nothin'. No really.

Leave a comment:

• speederscout
    replied
    Cuzco, that was beautiful... and true. I'm glad there is finally a thread where people can talk about what they like about this park.

As I've written elsewhere, there is much that needs to be enhanced (and I'm looking forward to the Park's growth and maturing) and much that is wonderful already. I've spent 8-hours at a time there with family and friends, and left happy and tired.

While there are some lapses in theming, there are also some areas that completely take me away. The entire GRR area is beautiful, every bit of it. When taking new visitors I will always stroll them along that pathway behind the main queue; its so richly done you start to forget you're in Orange County. I also love the feeling of pride I get from Condor Flats and Golden Dreams. Life needs more opportunities to remind us of where we are and how we got her,; and we need to take the time to be reminded, even at a theme park.

I've noticed that a lot of complaints are about the simple things in the park, while their counterparts across the way are touted and treasured:

1. The sourdough and tortilla factories - the mainstreet candy and silhouette shops;

2. The open spaces where quiet and contemplation are encouraged: Paradise Bay and GRR areas - Jumping Frog pond and surrounding area, and Rivers of America;

3. Sun Plaza, with its beach-glass-embedded-in-ground-treatment and graceful walls, seats and planters inspired by Catalina Island's famous "serpintine beach wall" - Town Square with its iconic small town features.

My least favorite area is Hollywood Pictures Backlot, but it, too, has its gems. Just sit on a bench and study the facade architecture: its stunning. (And I've heard so much about the hotdogs on this street that I'm making it a point to try them on my next trip). Hopefully, given time, the facades will front attractions as good as the beautiful animation exhibit and ToT.

Also take the time to enjoy the coffee shop and bakery in the center train car; its as beautiful as anything on Main Street.

Soarin', GRR (GREAT theming), Screamin', and Bug's Life Theater are all great. And for admittedly simple but, way fun, - Maliboomer, Orange Stinger, (and if you've got a VERY well loaded car) Mulholland Madness.

DCA isn't Disneyland, but Disneyland took a few years to flesh itself out, too. Given time and encouragement DCA will get out of its shaky start and stand on its own.
    Last edited by speederscout; 03-14-2005, 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling, grammer

Leave a comment:

• testtrack321
    replied
    -Soarin'
    -Entrence in Grand Californian
    -Great themeing in the 'natural' sections of the park (Condor Flats, Redwood, etc.)

Leave a comment:

• wolfy
    replied
    My daughter and I always enjoy having lunch at Ariel's Grotto, outside right next to the water. She loves the characters dancing around the place, of course. But I do enjoy the food, can have a cold beer also. Nice touch during a long day at the parks. The CM's are great there also. Always have a good time!

Also like the shopping in DCA, a bit more room to move around in, same stuff basically, just a bit more space to breathe.

California Scream'n and TOT!!!!! GRR is great on a scorcher of a day, loved to get soaked from head to toe!

The Hot Dog place in the Hollywood Backlot....YUM!

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied
    Soarin'
    Screamin'
    GRR
    Award Wieners (Best non-Mcd's fries - and the dogs aren't bad)
    Aladdin
    Mulholland Madness ... I know, I know ... I like the pad thing they put on the lap bar when someone small (like my kids) rides with someone ... uh ... not so small (like me)
    Sun Wheel
    Burrbank Ice Cream
    MSEP .... oops, I mean DEP ......

Haven't been since ToT ...........

Leave a comment:

• E-ticket
    replied
    Way to wax poetic, Cuzco!

You know what I love, but no one ever seems to mention? The Redwood Creek challenge trail. That place takes me back to my childhood moreso than any other attraction at the DLR. It's just plain fun.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle
    replied
    btw, does anybody happen to know if they have turkey or vegetarian corn dogs at the Corn Dog Castle?

Leave a comment:

• Michelle
    replied
    FREE TORTILLAS

But really, the Animation Studio. And Sulley. And the Incredibles and Frozone. The food. Saying "Pizza Oom Mow Mow".

Leave a comment:

• Wotan
    replied
    I like the "railroad". The ice cream parlor, the coffee, and to look at the old pictures on the walls.

I love Muppetvision 3D. And they themed it better at DCA than at MGM.
    Grizzly Rapids (at least they themed the queue)
    Soarin'

I'm not sure if I am wild about TOT or not--need to ride it a couple more times.

And those hot link corn dogs down by Mulholland are pretty tasty.

Leave a comment:

• dramaqueen
    replied
    Amen Cuzco!

Leave a comment:

• mrfantasmic
    replied
    Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
    I delight in the atmosphere.

I love walking through tall redwoods, savoring the hint of fresh pine. I could stand stand a lifetime in front of the magnifiscent waterfall that cascades upon rocks and mists my face.

I treasure sitting peacefully by the lapping water, lunching on corn chowder, occasionally tossing a bit of bread to a passing duck below.

I adore strolling across the cheerfully lit up peir at dusk, taking in the twinkling lights and airy ambiance.

I escape in the dream of aviation, of one day soaring high above the heavens to perchance glance at a distant star.

This, my friends, is what I appreciate most.
    Very nice indeed... the words. They just take me there!

Leave a comment:

• Cuzco-topia
    replied
    I delight in the atmosphere.

I love walking through tall redwoods, savoring the hint of fresh pine. I could stand a lifetime in front of the magnifiscent waterfall that cascades upon rocks and mists my face.

I treasure sitting peacefully by the lapping water, lunching on corn chowder, occasionally tossing a bit of bread to a passing duck below.

I adore strolling across the cheerfully lit up peir at dusk, taking in the twinkling lights and airy ambiance.

I escape in the dream of aviation, of one day soaring high above the heavens to perchance glance at a distant star.

This, my friends, is what I appreciate most.
    Last edited by Cuzco-topia; 03-14-2005, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chause2000
    replied
    The amount of themeing is something that sticks out in my mind..... there arent to many places where you can go from a hollywood movie studio to a secluded forest to a pier-side carnival... people complain about how there isnt any themeing, in my opinion there is plenty of themeing it just needs to be developed a bit more. Give it time, it'll come... I also enjoy the types of rides they put in Paradise pier. They are "A" class carnival rides... They didnt skimp on them... People say Disney was leaning away from themeing and was looking for cheap thrills by going with paradise peir and carnival type rides but that couldnt be further from the truth. How many times have you been to a pier-side carnival and rode a roller coaster of the caliber of CA Screamin?? Or have gone on a 150 foot tall ferris wheel with moving cars?? Or riddin a ride even remotely close to Maliboomer? They may fall in the category of carnival type ride but thats the point, they are still excellent rides. People dont give this park enough credit, especially Paradise Pier.

Leave a comment:

• mrfantasmic
    replied
    I've never had the pleasure of experiencing Tower of Terror, but I like that DCA can be a place to take a break if you have some extra time. Soarin', Grizzly River Run, and California Screamin' are the highlights of my DCA visit.

Leave a comment:

• aralechn
    replied
    I like the Tower of Terror that is the first ride that I go to whenever I visit DCA. Then there's Soarin' and then of course the Mali-Boomer!

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied
    I'm not a big fan of the "no crowds" reasoning. It reminds me of the red ink.

Leave a comment:

• sorceress1986
    replied
    Well, I also enjoy it's smaller crowds. I LOVE the Tower of Terror, Soarin', Muppets 3-D. Those are at least the ones I like the most, the ones I go to the park for. I do like the fact that because it is a little quieter, it is a little easier to enjoy the ambience of it. Also, Disneyland is historical-DCA is just a calm bit of fun...

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X