Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney's 1952 Film Retitled Tomorrowland!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney's 1952 Film Retitled Tomorrowland!

Originally posted by manifest View Post
    Why does it ALWAYS have to be a movie that prompts Disney to build anything??? Is WDI ever going to come up with anything on their own again? It really is frustrating watching Disney seemingly forget what made their theme parks so revolutionary in the first place.

Maybe that is why we no longer see original attractions and the international parks get them even today. The ones we have are so good and represent the core and foundation of our park while the other parks need to build their own unique "core" of original and unique attractions. Just a thought. Since marketing cant be the only ​reason since other resorts are still getting them.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

Why does it ALWAYS have to be a movie that prompts Disney to build anything??? Is WDI ever going to come up with anything on their own again? It really is frustrating watching Disney seemingly forget what made their theme parks so revolutionary in the first place.
      Creating multi-million dollar attractions based on blind faith that consumers will respond favorably is not how businesses succeed in this modern economy. It sucks I agree, but typical consumers are not going to buy into something unless they've been sitting on their butts for two hours building a connection to the brand. But if they hate what you're trying to feed them in the theaters then you've just saved time, money, and real-estate building an attraction that was destined to fail, theme-wise of course.
      Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Comment

Sad but true. The days of Disney being a world-class innovator of theme park attractions are long gone. They've devolved from sky's-the-limit creatives to risk-averse corporate marketers of pre-sold, pre-popularized brands. In WED's and WDI's heyday, Disneyland was the brand. Now it's just another of the corporation's brand marketing platforms.
        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-29-2013, 12:28 AM.
        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
        until Thor told it to me."
        -
        Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

We're certainly getting a lot of Walt Disney biopics in the next few years, aren't we? Interesting, since until now I'm not sure there have been any.

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
          Maybe that is why we no longer see original attractions and the international parks get them even today. The ones we have are so good and represent the core and foundation of our park while the other parks need to build their own unique "core" of original and unique attractions. Just a thought. Since marketing cant be the only ​reason since other resorts are still getting them.
          Well, really, Hong Kong is the only resort getting original attractions right now, but that's because that it was specified that new attractions would have to be original when Disney negotiated with the Hong Kong government. Tokyo DisneySea is actually getting much more cartoonified - its newest attractions are a Jasmine flying carpet spinner, Turtle Talk with Crush, and Toy Story Midway Mania - and the only new attraction Paris is getting is, sure enough, a Ratatouille dark ride. Meanwhile, Shanghai looks like it'll be the most franchise-based Disney park ever, with a Space Mountain based on Tron, an almost AA-free version of Pirates of the Caribbean based exclusively on the film franchise, and a version of Main Street that where all the buildings are based on Disney characters.

Originality has been dead in WDI for a long time.

Comment

This is really interesting news about Brad Bird's latest film. Other sites have been speculating that this maybe more based on the Tomorrowland episodes of the Disneyland TV show directed by Ward Kimball. Which attempted to predict what space travel was going to be like in the future based on actual scientific research in the 1950's. I just watched those again not too long ago. And I thought to myself, these would make interesting movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
              The only things I can clearly make out in the picture of the box are pictures of Walt. Is that a comic book in there? And....folders.. none of this helps.
              I notice a couple things.

The label on the edge of the box is hard to make out but may say 1984.
              The thing in the bottom right of the box, looks like a small rocket engine.

I wish I could make out the blue book binding on the lower edge.
              Also the yellow book under the photos and thick envelope.

If that label said 1986, I would guess it may be about building, or conceptulizing Tomorrowland. I wonder if it's actually a file on Walt. Like the FBI is suspecting Walt of building the future.
              Be Cool Stay in School!
              Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post

I believe that's a rubber eyepiece of some sort.

As I said, that's an issue of Amazing Stories. See my previous comment for the link.

Comment

The label on the edge of the box is hard to make out but may say 1984.

I wish I could make out the blue book binding on the lower edge.

If that label said 1986, I would guess it may be about building, or conceptulizing Tomorrowland. I wonder if it's actually a file on Walt. Like the FBI is suspecting Walt of building the future.
                  This... I'm guessing the film will fictionalize a Walt character as a futurist who actually builds a time travel device.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    Sad but true. The days of Disney being a world-class innovator of theme park attractions are long gone. They've devolved from sky's-the-limit creatives to risk-averse corporate marketers of pre-sold, pre-popularized brands. In WED's and WDI's heyday, Disneyland was the brand. Now it's just another of the corporation's brand marketing platforms.
                    I would venture to say, they still do. But they are painted with intellectual properties they own.

i wholly believe that TSMM is such a great ride, it would be just as popular minus the toy story. The toy story does add a huge amount of "connection" and is a terrific and fun property.

Comment

I wonder if it's actually a file on Walt. Like the FBI is suspecting Walt of building the future.
                      The first photo released on Twitter last week showed the exterior of the closed box with a vintage Walt Disney productions label on it titled 1952. It was made to seemingly appear as if it was from Disney's Archives.

And on the subject of non-industry professionals complaining about WDI's "inability to create anything original", anyone else wonder why there is no similar focus thrust at theme park competitiors such as Universal Studios Hollywood or elsewhere. Where would there profits past, present and future be without Universal Pictures' own Jaws, and Jurassic Park, Paramount's King Kong and Transformers or Warner Brothers' Harry Potter? They are all giving the public what the public has already told them they enjoy and want.
                      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                        We're certainly getting a lot of Walt Disney biopics in the next few years, aren't we?
                        Do we know for sure it’s a bio pic? So far, they haven’t really told us anything about this other than it has to do with this mysterious chest. For all we know, Walt could be hunting vampires with Mr. Lincoln.

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                        They are all giving the public what the public has already told them they enjoy and want.
                        How would they know that the public wouldn’t enjoy something that is original and no cross-merchandised with an existing property? They aren’t giving us the choice. Of course the public will ride these branded attractions if they are the only option.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                          How would they know that the public wouldn’t enjoy something that is original and no cross-merchandised with an existing property? They aren’t giving us the choice. Of course the public will ride these branded attractions if they are the only option.
                          Many people on this site probably think you just described the original version of DCA. Hundreds of millions of dollars and limited real estate are big gambles. Mr. Disney used his catalog for inspiration and product, not many in Burbank or Glendale seem to feel to need to stray far from that model.
                          "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Mr. Disney used his catalog for inspiration and product, not many in Burbank or Glendale seem to feel to need to stray far from that model.
                            The number of brand-based Disneyland attractions in the pre-Eisner years was 'way in the minority, as has been shown by the numerous lists that have been compiled on this site over the years. The argument that "Eisner and Iger are just continuing the model Walt started" is historically inaccurate: the majority of pre-Eisner Disneyland attractions were Disneyland originals. It wasn't until Eisner came in with his "Disneyland is all about turning Movies into Rides" ripoff of Universal's "Ride the Movies" model that new Disneyland attractions became wall-to-wall brands.

Significantly, Disneyland's most world-famous and iconic attractions in the pre-Eisner era were all non-movie brands: Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Mr. Lincoln, Small World, Submarines, Space Mountain, PeopleMover, Mark Twain, the Monorail, Autopia, Disneyland & Santa Fe Railroad. Hardly the model that Burbank and Glendale have followed since Eisner.
                            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

Walt Disney created the Disneyland TV show to create an emotional connection to his new park.

If the Tommorowland movie creates an emotional connection to a new revamped section of the park then it seems very much in the Walt Disney tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Gyoza Dog View Post
                                Walt Disney created the Disneyland TV show to create an emotional connection to his new park.

If the Tommorowland movie creates an emotional connection to a new revamped section of the park then it seems very much in the Walt Disney tradition.
                                The Disneyland TV show was created as part of the deal to build Disneyland (ABC-TV was one of the funding partners). Even after mortgaging his vacation home, Walt didn't have the money to build it alone. And still he took the risks of doing something innovative and creatively daring. Compare that to today's Disney Corporation, which for all its deep pockets and humongous profits is notoriously risk-averse and creatively lazy.

Other than the name, there is essentially nothing today's Disney Corporation does that is "in the Walt Disney tradition."

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

Many people on this site probably think you just described the original version of DCA.
                                  One of the many complaints about the original CA Adventure is that it wasn't "Disney" enough - the park as a whole, not just the rides. However, the quality of the rides was a large complaint as well. Really, other than Soarin' and Grizzly there weren't that many Disney quality attractions on opening day.

Rather than change the quality of the rides, they tried to fix things the easy way by slapping Disney characters on everything and making every new ride character based. If they were to provide some really quality non-branded attractions I bet the public would take to them just as well as the branded ones.
                                  "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

And on the subject of non-industry professionals complaining about WDI's "inability to create anything original", anyone else wonder why there is no similar focus thrust at theme park competitiors such as Universal Studios Hollywood or elsewhere. Where would there profits past, present and future be without Universal Pictures' own Jaws, and Jurassic Park, Paramount's King Kong and Transformers or Warner Brothers' Harry Potter? They are all giving the public what the public has already told them they enjoy and want.
                                    If the theme park is in a Motion Picture studio and their slogan is "Ride the movies" why would I expect anything different??
                                    :blink: Bullets for Breakfast :blink:
                                    Join the party. Face the music.

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                                      One of the many complaints about the original CA Adventure is that it wasn't "Disney" enough - the park as a whole, not just the rides. However, the quality of the rides was a large complaint as well. Really, other than Soarin' and Grizzly there weren't that many Disney quality attractions on opening day.

Rather than change the quality of the rides, they tried to fix things the easy way by slapping Disney characters on everything and making every new ride character based. If they were to provide some really quality non-branded attractions I bet the public would take to them just as well as the branded ones.
                                      But the fact remains that the inclusion of characters is still one of the many demands the modern resort goer demands from disney. And one that was called for specifically among the many faults from when DCA was at its worse.

While I agree DCA's biggest problem was quality, the lack of disney characters was still enough of a fault to be mentioned by guests. More proof can be seen by the popularity of Cars land and the wizarding world of harry potter. People demand the characters they know and love and the great quality to go with it.
                                      In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Comment

After veiwing the larger twitpic I was able to find the blue book.
                                        Twitter / BradBirdA113: The Box... opened. ...

MODEL RESEARCH: THE NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE FOR AERONAUTICS 1915-1958: Alex Roland: Amazon.com: Books

Published by NASA.

This is a simple picture of a rocket engine.
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	do-rocket-engines-nozzles-800x800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	7347804
                                        Be Cool Stay in School!
                                        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                          The Disneyland TV show was created as part of the deal to build Disneyland (ABC-TV was one of the funding partners). Even after mortgaging his vacation home, Walt didn't have the money to build it alone. And still he took the risks of doing something innovative and creatively daring. Compare that to today's Disney Corporation, which for all its deep pockets and humongous profits is notoriously risk-averse and creatively lazy.
                                          It doesn't matter why Walt Disney originally made the deal with ABC. What matters is that he saw how well it worked and he kept doing it (even when he no longer needed to). You can say the current company is overemphasising this aspect of the Disney tradition but this seems like a real call back to the media strategy of the earliest days of Disneyland.

Also the modern Disney company does not seem incredibly risk averse to me. The recent DCA update was a huge expensive risk. It could easily have been throwing good money after bad. Shanghai and Hong Kong Disney were risks. The new
                                          fastpass plus stuff is a huge risk. Misguided perhaps but risk adverse it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                          X