Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Tony Baxter

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tony Baxter

^ True enough. Then again, there's "most California companies," and there's... (cue dramatic Bernard Hermann scary music sting)... Disney legal.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I hope we get news/reports of Tony's tribute and roast at Club 33 last night!

Comment

Originally posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
        Tony has always admired Knott's, as he was there on the day the Log Ride first opened back in the 60's, and attends Halloween Haunt every year. It would be pretty cool if he got a 'creative' position with the park, but his being there as a guest doesn't necessarily hint at that seeing as he attended it anyway while working for Disney.
        I guess that's true, but hopefully Tony can eventually consult with Knott's on future projects like Rolly Crump did with Knott's Bear-y Tales after retiring from WED.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
          ^ True enough. Then again, there's "most California companies," and there's... (cue dramatic Bernard Hermann scary music sting)... Disney legal.

Yeah, but the reason everyone else doesn't.. is because they can't win. Non-competes are illegal in california except under very specific instances that have no bearing here for an employee like Baxter. The exceptions are for things like dissolving a partnership, LLC, business owners, etc.

Basically.. people have tried to interpret Cali's laws to protect a non-compete, and they virtually all lose.

It's why you hear the hubbub awhile back about Apple/Google/etc having an agreement not to poach each other's employees... because they can't prevent employees from leaving on their own via non-compete.

Comment

I met Tony Baxter about a month ago for the first time and I walked away with the impression he does NOT like DCA.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSavage View Post
              I hope we get news/reports of Tony's tribute and roast at Club 33 last night!
              Friend of mine went and she said it was really lovely because the guest list was all people Tony knows and loves. They had a really nice tribute by some of the Voices of Liberty with a custom song written for Tony. The 75 lucky people who went might have been crammed in the small club, but it sounds like it was a wonderful evening.

There were some rumors of Club 33 expanding, but not sure if they are rumors or actual plans.

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandfan8 View Post
                I met Tony Baxter about a month ago for the first time and I walked away with the impression he does NOT like DCA.
                I had the same impression when I met him sometime ago, he probably doesn't like the direction DCA is going with all the Pixar stuff being added!

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandfan8 View Post
                  I'm not surprised, considering Disney didn't really put him in charge of the original design in 2001 and redesign of DCA for 2012.

Comment

I'm not surprised, considering Disney didn't really put him in charge of the original design in 2001 and redesign of DCA for 2012.
                    Tony did not want the original job, nor the redesign job. He forcefully opposed the original project during development and purposely separated himself from it when he disagreed with the direction the park was going.

Comment

• Re: Tony Baxter

Wasn't his original idea was to create a westcot? but it was nixed because it was too grand aka exspensive. If he (Tony) has some sort of dislike towards DCA that would probably be the reason. In his mind his concept was shot down for DCA 1.0. Definately can see why that would leave a bad taste.

I'm happy for his party. Wish him the best of luck and I do hope although he isn't directly involved with imagineering anymore I hope his influence can still be noticed.
                      My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r_zavala/

Comment

Originally posted by Open_at_the_close View Post
                        Wasn't his original idea was to create a westcot? but it was nixed because it was too grand aka exspensive. If he (Tony) has some sort of dislike towards DCA that would probably be the reason. In his mind his concept was shot down for DCA 1.0. Definately can see why that would leave a bad taste.
                        I suspect that Tony had dislike for DCA for the same reasons many people inside and outside of WDI did: the Eisner-driven philosophy for the project was unbelievably bad, and the ideas he was inspiring and greenlighting were even worse. But the system was so politicized that nobody could tell Michael "no."

Folks forget that the failure of DCA 1.0 was predicted by huge numbers of people inside and outside Disney before the first jackhammer broke asphalt in the parking lot. Pre-construction reactions generally broke three ways: those who were outraged that Disney was even seriously talking about building such a bad joke, those who insisted that it was just a blue sky ego-exercise on the part of Michael that would never be built, and the corps of Disney execs and exec wannabes who competed with each other to be the loudest in praise of Michael's "creative" guidance of the project.

Tony's stance on the project earned him praise from fans and professional creatives, and the black mark of "Waltie" from management.

Dark times.
                        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

I am happy to hear about Tony being honored the other night.
                          Was this a special event organized by his friends, co-workers, or Disney themselves?

Quite nice....i am sure he had a nice evening with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
                            Tony did not want the original job, nor the redesign job. He forcefully opposed the original project during development and purposely separated himself from it when he disagreed with the direction the park was going.
                            If you get a chance, you might want to go to that other website, and go to post #135. and correct the poster who made an entirely different claim. (Topic: Tony Baxter announced retirement - Section: Disney Business. Website - Hopefully, you figured that out)

On another note - I'd be thrilled if Tony Baxter could lend his talents to Knott's latest resurgence in gravitating back to it's thematic roots. Ghost town has had some work done in the last couple of years. Timber Mountain Mountain Log Ride given a good "scrub". And now the Mission dioramas coming back. I can only imagine if Matt Oimet called Tony into his office ... and come up with some ideas. I want to see a new dark ride where Knott's Berry Tales was. Or, if they redid it ... I'd be thrilled with that. That ride had a lot charm to it. And that seems to be the new motto for Knott's - Adding "charm" back into it.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                              If you get a chance, you might want to go to that other website, and go to post #135. and correct the poster who made an entirely different claim. (Topic: Tony Baxter announced retirement - Section: Disney Business. Website - Hopefully, you figured that out)
                              Tony did propose merging Disneyland and DCA into a single "mega-park", but never wanted complete creative control of DCA. He definitely wasn't "bitter" about management not following through with his idea.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X