The "Peoplemover" as intended....to move people!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EPCOTresident
    Unhelpful User
    • Feb 2013

[Idea] The "Peoplemover" as intended....to move people!!!

I've been going to as I like to call it Disneys Magic Kingdom (Disneyland California) for almost 40 years now and Tomorrowland has been the favrite of mine thru most (love it all)....rumor has it there will be no return of the prototipical mass transit vision of the future that is the Peoplemover...heck I knew Al Banta the advertising exec at Goodyear who was a part of greenlighting the sponsorship..(a great man just like Walt)...now the sugestion I have is this...instead of bringing it back as an attraction in Tomorrowland why not re invision it as the main transport system at the Disneyland Resort???...the trams are horrible and the bussing system needs relief IMHO and the solution should be a WEDway...It would be a proper modern designed solution to a "problem" at DLR...design it to replace the trams and service the many parking lots/structure...mostly at ground level to please OSHA/ADA...reimagineer it to service elderly/disabled expand it to even the Anaheim Gardenwalk and the eventual 3rd gate...this is the way to bring it back in a practical fashon...by using it as intended..a mass transit for people with no wait..as designed a car always ready to pick you up and take you where you want to go...the way Walt would want it...it no longer needs to be a ride..it should be a system for transporting people/guests....you want the Peoplemover back???then this is the best way to ask for it...as a replacement for the trams and busses!!!...if you like my idea then please spread the word..I even hope this reaches Imagineers and heads of the company who can concider this....Bring back the WEDway the right way...by really using it as intended...and ditch those cramped trams...Walt would want it!!
  • swampymarsh
    Under that tree again!
    • Nov 2011

Re: The "Peoplemover" as intended....to move people!!!

Welcome to Micechat.

You may not be aware but People Mover discussions come up every week or two. Like this one about WDW: http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...s-service.html

At DLR, the surrent system works so why fix it? Also there are plans around to change the current system and they could be expect next rather than a PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• brianpinsky
      Disneyland 20 year APH
      • Sep 2012

I think all us Disney Fans will go crazy if there is no plans for PM at Expo! Just a note there is a upcoming referbishments that might be of some interest. Autopia and Monorail will be closed Feb 26-28....People mover work?
      Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
      http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Comment

• humphreybear62
        No, I don't know Yogi
        • Feb 2013

Think about worst case scenario though, Peoplemover breaks down and it's the only mode of transportation to and from the parking structures. The back-up or alternative is buses and trams. A combination of the systems might be a workable choice. Just work to make the combination super efficient and a great guest experience rather than something that must be endured.
        ​ Yes

Comment

• B2D
          MiceChatter
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by humphreybear62 View Post
          Think about worst case scenario though, Peoplemover breaks down and it's the only mode of transportation to and from the parking structures. The back-up or alternative is buses and trams. A combination of the systems might be a workable choice. Just work to make the combination super efficient and a great guest experience rather than something that must be endured.
          Didn't someone on the City Council of Anaheim propose something like a public transport system for the city based on a peoplemover type system? Something that did a loop on Angel Stadium, the Pond, DLR, and the convention center. I swear I've heard of this somewhere.

DFW International airport is massive and you can ride a fully automated Peoplemover-type tram from terminal to terminal. I've done it... it was quite nice.

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2005

Anaheim selected an at-grade streetcar.

Comment

• clippers6
              MiceChatter
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by B2D View Post
              Didn't someone on the City Council of Anaheim propose something like a public transport system for the city based on a peoplemover type system? Something that did a loop on Angel Stadium, the Pond, DLR, and the convention center. I swear I've heard of this somewhere.

DFW International airport is massive and you can ride a fully automated Peoplemover-type tram from terminal to terminal. I've done it... it was quite nice.
              Yes but the city was not willing to approve the project due to the price. The current leading proposal is light rail but there is at least one city council member adamantly against that and is calling for an expanded bus system. Keep in mind this is for the city. If Disney wanted to pay for a PeopleMover or monorail system within the resort they could do it. I believe one rumor that was being floated for the new parking structure was the use of moving sidewalks similar to what Universal Orlando uses.

Comment

• B2D
                MiceChatter
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                Anaheim selected an at-grade streetcar.
                They did huh? I should go Google this...

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                  They did huh? I should go Google this...
                  Post 1175:

Comment

• EPCOTresident
                    Unhelpful User
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                    Welcome to Micechat.

You may not be aware but People Mover discussions come up every week or two. Like this one about WDW: http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...s-service.html

At DLR, the surrent system works so why fix it? Also there are plans around to change the current system and they could be expect next rather than a PM.

The last time I rode the tram from the parking structure it was awful...waiting time and ride included....if it "broke down"..well at ground level you can get off and walk and at least busses could be a back up....and remember this is also a way to bring back a Disney classic...Original Peoplemover in Tomorrowland processed up to 5000 guests in one hour...doubt the trams can pull that off...I'll hear ya in one respect..the down time in construction of such a system would devistate the experience of getting people to the gates for the duration.....but people do agree..the trams leave something to be desired....The WEDway could be made more acomidating to larger/taller/elderly/disabled guests...quieter....smoother more comfort...the whole intention was for WEDways to be used for this very purpose...and if the Disney way still is in effect in the company then this is the way it should be done...I can picture it in my mind how it would be done!!

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2005

Would guests board evenly throughout the day and evening or would you have a glut or a long wait at peak times to/from Mickey & Friends?

Comment

• swampymarsh
                        Under that tree again!
                        • Nov 2011

Would guests board evenly throughout the day and evening or would you have a glut or a long wait at peak times to/from Mickey & Friends?
                        Which would be a problem.

The ideal peak is about 4,850 guests per hour. I would guess that 40 years later loading is a lot slower and that would never be reached. Look at old footage of people in the park and new footage and notice the increase in strollers, wheel chairs, and ECVs.

The main problem would be that on a truly busy day 100,000 guests could be leaving the esplanade between 6pm and 12am. This would greatly surpass the system's capability.
                        Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

• EPCOTresident
                          Unhelpful User
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                          Which would be a problem.

The ideal peak is about 4,850 guests per hour. I would guess that 40 years later loading is a lot slower and that would never be reached. Look at old footage of people in the park and new footage and notice the increase in strollers, wheel chairs, and ECVs.

The main problem would be that on a truly busy day 100,000 guests could be leaving the esplanade between 6pm and 12am. This would greatly surpass the system's capability.

all the more reason to concider an expantion to the system in place..100,00 people in six hours??...how does (Walt) Disney spell relief..WEDway system...It's not a cure all but an accent to the spice that is Disneyland (resort)...they could do both..maybe..shareing the throughfare that the trams use would take some imaginerring but in the end result I want to believe it would be a hit!!..I know I'm kinda ranting about Peoplemover but I thing It meant something to Walt and in a way even to me...and how awesome a sight it would be to see something like it transporting guests casually thru the resort..and think about it..what if it went to the hotels and restaraunts as well as parking and themeparks?? as a guest you'd have more oprotunity to see things like Trader Sams Downtown Disney maybe even the Gardenwalk shopping mall could be included (now I'm reaching)...It gets tireing to walk the campus end to end..the casual cruse that is(Was) Peoplemover could bring relief to the long walks and oprotunity to enjoy more of what they've got...just imagine it in your own mind and try to invison the "cars" passing thru the district..getting on in front of the two main gates cruseing to the Downton District...Hopping of in the "roundhouse" station, or continuing on to your hotel or your vehicle...I know it's ambitious..and alotta love for something reguarded as a boring atraction from Tomorrowlands' past..but thats what the design of the peoplemover system was meant for..I had an annual pasport a year ago (BTW Californis residents..it's the only way to go)..I had to do ALOT of walking...what I wouldn't give for a WEDway system to cut the walking down a bit....A dream is a wish your heart makes...and when a dream is reality it's a dream come true for you and me!!!

Comment

• EPCOTresident
                            Unhelpful User
                            • Feb 2013

The Idea behind the Origonal design was there should be an open "cabin" ready for riders to board as there should always be a "train" ariving...virtually no wait...as far as special needs riders...well we are talking about a re-Imageneered design in discussing this..wheelchair sized cabins come to mind..and cast members maning the roundhouses could asist guests...remember the convayor belt style boarding/disboarding system to the omnimover system..thats essential to the design

Comment

• choco choco
                              MiceChatter
                              • May 2011

A peoplemover isn't cost effective. A moving walkway costs less, moves more people per hour, has a lower maintenance cost, has essentially no boarding time, gets people to a destination faster, can handle strollers, wheelchairs, walkers. etc..., and is less of a hindrance if it breaks down. You also don't have to pay cast members to run it.

When Disney designed their Paris park, they did away with the parking tram entirely and opted for a moving walkway. I'm hoping this is Disneyland's next step.

Comment

• swampymarsh
                                Under that tree again!
                                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by choco choco View Post
                                When Disney designed their Paris park, they did away with the parking tram entirely and opted for a moving walkway. I'm hoping this is Disneyland's next step.
                                That has come up in Disneyland Resort plans too. Of course it's the same people designing these places.

Moving walkways can be designed to move, twice as many people as a people mover. And they can easily put two or three running parallel, which can be very helpful for DLR crowd patterns. On a busy day have all running to the parks from 7am to 10 am, then one going each way midday, and all going to the parking from 9pm to 12pm. When they need maintenance you can't shut one down and run the others. When they break the people can simply walk rather than need to be evacuated.

They follow the KISS principle.
                                Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X