• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cuzco-topia
    /sigh
    • Jan 2005

Your thoughts on Buzz

For those who had a chance to ride Buzz, what did you think?

I rode it last night, and have to admit, I thought it was "just ok". Nothing too great or exciting. It was a pretty descent new interactive experience, but overall I thought the entertainment value was a bit lacking. Anyone else think it wasn't anything to write home about, or is everyone falling head over heals for Buzz?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"
  • Michelle
    Minion
    • Feb 2005

I really love the shooting aspect of it, but in general, it's not *fabulous*. However, it's a ton of fun, and I don't feel gypped at the end when it's over.

My favorite part of the ride: The fact that the bottom of Buzz's foot says "ANDY" on it. Now that's attention to detail.

Comment

• ah schucks
      �o� Tom �o�
      • Mar 2005

If you put the gun down, sat and looked at the ride, you would quickly notice- its not a great ride. Nothing special, cardboard cut outs and a few semi-animatronic figures and special effects- kinda like Pooh.

Howevre you do have a gun and it is interactive and the cart does move and Buzz Lightyear in the standby entrance is engaging so you know what, its pretty good after all.

Comment

• Glad Game Guy
        New MiceChatter
        • Feb 2005

I think a fair comparison is Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. They are both essentially C-ticket Fantasyland dark rides with some extras that make them a D ticket. Roger Rabbit is better themed (queue and inside) and is longer.

As much as I love the interactive aspect of Buzz the queue ain't so good overall. I like the Buzz robot, the hanging planet lamps, and the rubber (old Space Mountain) flooring. The rest of the queque looks flat, and is. And I can't see it holding up to all the hands touching the pictures on the walls.

Roger Rabbit was designed to hold almost the whole standby queue inside, and Buzz barely fits a few people inside and the rest spill out into the streets of Tomorrowland. And this is not just because it is new. There is no themed queue area for the standby line (aside for the few switchbacks inside the door) and that, I predict, will be it's greatest flaw. It makes the outside look congested and this is exactly what the entrance to Tomrrowland doesn't need.

The Fast Pass entrance area for Buzz was also ill-conceived. (all three lines start together) The flow of the original lines and been abandoned (at least on Thursday and Sunday) and guests just use the exit to go into the Fast Pass area. Confusing and not pretty either. (though I do like the fast pass machines themselves)

Lots of customers in the hot sun in chained queues is not good theming for the standby outside queue. Summer isn't going to be pretty. Hopefully, some shade is coming???

Overall, though I'm happy it's here and I've enjoyed it 6 times already! I can't seem to break the 500,000 mark yet, but I'm trying.
        I think someone has left the shower running ...
        --Tiki Bird Jose

Comment

• SCUBAbe
          no flash photography...
          • Jan 2005

it's not the best ride, but I like to shoot at the targets. The whole cardboard robots/toys and bright paint is not done very well. If there was nothing to shoot it would be a boring ride. Thankfully there are things to shoot and I like rotating the car.

Comment

• Metal God
            Metal Head
            • Jan 2005

I thought it was great. interactive rides are few and my kids and I had a blast with the target shooting.
            How much longer will it take
            For the world to see.
            We should learn to live
            And simply let it be.
            Bloodstone, bloodstone.

Comment

• Pizzapants
              Inappropriate
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ah schucks
              If you put the gun down, sat and looked at the ride, you would quickly notice- its not a great ride. Nothing special, cardboard cut outs and a few semi-animatronic figures and special effects- kinda like Pooh.

Howevre you do have a gun and it is interactive and the cart does move and Buzz Lightyear in the standby entrance is engaging so you know what, its pretty good after all.
              Yeah... too bad there's no guns on Pooh...

Click the banner! ^^^^
              Follow us on Twitter
              @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
              Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

• FloggingMorgy
                something else...
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Pizzapants
                Oh, how i would love that...
                You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

Comment

• dramaqueen
                  is FIERCE!
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Pizzapants
                  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhh, an entirely new theme for "Critter country"

Maybe the next ride could feature road kill and some redneck hillbillies?
                  Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                  Help support the site you love:
                  -Visit the MiceChat store
                  Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                  MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

• shark_hugger
                    • Feb 2005

Overall, I thought the ride was of Disney quality, although I thought the entry queue was a little too much on the "Chuck E Cheese" side. The "breifing" area (where the animated Buzz Lightyear was installed) was very cool. I like the use of giant sized etch-a-sketch as the display screen. The ride itself is pretty much what I expected, although I give the Imagineers a few creativity points for the laser-gun concept. Most kids under 14 seem to love it. Considering the ride really didn't take much time to complete from breaking ground to soft opening, I'd be inclined to give an overall grade of C+. Just the fact that the new ride seems to have hopefully breathed some new life into TL and the fact that the cycling capacity of the ride is really good (read: fast lines), makes me pretty happy as a customer and a fan.
                    SHARK_HUGGER- I'll stop eating fish when sharks do.
                    What the Media Doesn't Report (#17):
                    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
                    - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

Comment

• MasterGracey
                      Dateline Disneylander
                      • Jan 2005

I was really pleased with the ride.

I personally love the queue. It reminded me of "a bugs land" and how after you enter everything is much larger so you feel as if you're the size of a toy. The Buzz animatronic is fantastic.
                      My only problem with the ride is that it's way too short. But given the fact WDI had such a small amount of space to work with, I can't complain. As for the queue, some shade needs to be added for the upcoming summer months. at least some cheap overhead coloured cloth covering like at Soarin' Over California... SOMETHING. But, all in all, I was not disappointed by the ride. I LOVE the speed tunned... does anybody know if that's the homage to Rocket Rods/People Mover? It could be, cause I don't know how exactly a tunnel like that fits into the narrative of the ride unless I missed something when I was too busy trying to hit the targets hidden in the tunnel.. haha.

I also love how "Andy" is written on Buzz's foot. Great attention to detail. Also, I love how the targets react. Very nice.

It's going to definately become a staple attraction when I visit Tomorrowland from now on...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• E-ticket
                        With my wife....
                        • Jan 2005

I agree with the overall sentiment... a basically mediocre ride, punched up with an interactive component. After all.... who doesn't like shootin' stuff? Yeee-haw!!!!

I think it will become one of those rides that I go on when I'm in the area with some time to kill... not one of those that I just have to ride every time I go. I think the best part is the fact that it's one more attraction in TL (which is looking amazing after the refurb!!!!).
                        "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

• yensid98
                          Que que no-tu-rah.
                          • Feb 2005

I pretty much agree with Glad Game Guy. Without the shooting element the ride is unremarkable. In fact the videogame feeling of the attraction is the only thing that ties it to Tomorrowland. WIthout it Astro Blasters is just a Fantasyland attraction caught in the wrong land.

The queue is a big problem right now as it causes a lot of congestion. What with the throngs of people waiting to get in, the "rocks" and the Astro Orbiter you can barely even get into Tomorrowland. A new quque solution needs to be found quick!

For me the biggest positive of Astro Blasters is that it seems to have instigated the repainting of Tomorroland. Finally we can get away from all those ugly rust colors and get a shimmering bright future again. Yes!
                          What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Comment

• StephanieA
                            i want a mint julep
                            • Feb 2005

I took my sister last Friday and we thought it was really fun. Maybe it isn't a huge E-ticket ride, but it was nice to ride something new. She had never been on the one in Florida, so she was pleasantly surprised (and beat me by over 20,000 points!).

I agree the the beginning of the line is confusing. There was a huge group of people waiting for their fast past time to arrive, so when we walked up to the line my sister and I weren't sure what was going on. There must be a way to discourage people from doing that, it clogs up the entrance.
                            i caught you a delicious bass.

Comment

• Villains Fan
                              Always watching...
                              • Jan 2005

I got to ride it a few times this weekend and thought it was fun. It's not the best ride in the park, but it's certainly not the worst by far. It's a little hard to really look for the detail and storyline going through the ride with being so busy shooting at everything, but it is bright, cheerful, and fun. I especially like how you can email your picture and score, but it's also one of the least planned parts in the ride. I think they should have CM's do the emailing. Some of these people were totally lost trying to figure this out and then you have the people who want to send the picture to all their friends and family. They should limit you to one email and then you can forward it from home to whoever else. I was behind one family who were in two cars, so they had to send both pictures to numerous addresses. By the time they finished, my picture was gone off the screen

Comment

• merlinjones
                                Minion
                                • Jan 2005

I have to say I really enjoyed myself on Buzz, the setpieces were much more dimemsional and active than I had expected (better design than Pooh). Nice layout and fun ideas for the targets - - infinitely better in execution than the WDW cardboard gallery version of Buzz. The color is a bit garish - - but I thought the overall experience was fun. And the Omnimover constant load made it a very easy wait in line!

- - the exterior is looking good - the general color choices are a great improvement - but the painting detail is too busy/cluttered - - needs "modernist" streamlining. some texture instead of paint detail would help here, especially in and around the doorway - - I hope they do one more simplification pass.

Thanks, Matt and Greg and Imagineers for improving upon recent experiences.
                                “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• MasterGracey
                                  Dateline Disneylander
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Villains Fan
                                  I was behind one family who were in two cars, so they had to send both pictures to numerous addresses. By the time they finished, my picture was gone off the screen
                                  Yeah, I didn't get to send my photo when I rode either because a family in front of me took forever to find their photo and still couldnt after abour 15 minutes. And then the other family who was in front of me had to send it to a bunch of people... so.. by the time I got to the kiosk to send the photo it wasn't on the screen anymore.

They should re-configure the kiosks to store the photos a little while longer because not every person is as technology-savvy as they need to be when using the photo kiosks.. even though theyre very easy-to-use touch-screens... some people just arent techno-friendly so it might be too late before some are able to send their photos off...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• bjvb15
                                    Sucka
                                    • Jan 2005

For those ppl who have been on BUZZ, I don't know if you guys noticed on one of the walls as you get passed buzz in the line, you see the little green men training to be astro blasster. :confused: The score of the trainer green man is 020464 :confused: . My sis and I asked one of the managers about it and he said he didn't know if it was a date or not. (if you don't think it's a date, remember all the scores are in 100 incruments (SP)

Comment

• tulkas
                                      • Jan 2005

I did the ride on sunday. This is what we whish the Pooh ride could be. Super Star Limo could have been improved with a similer application. The Buzz ride is the best of the three. Whoever is designing the rides is getting better. Now, if they could go back and impruve the other rides, they might have somthing.
                                      Let the magic continue.

Comment

• Giant Panda
                                        My Children's Father
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tulkas
                                        I did the ride on sunday. This is what we whish the Pooh ride could be. Super Star Limo could have been improved with a similer application. The Buzz ride is the best of the three. Whoever is designing the rides is getting better. Now, if they could go back and impruve the other rides, they might have somthing.
                                        Maybe they're adding a "shooting overlay" to Superstar ......... gun down Whoopi, Christy, Tim, etc. ........ woo HOO, good times ........
                                        "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                                        - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X