Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our trip April 14-17, 2013! Long and many photos...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Our trip April 14-17, 2013! Long and many photos...

First off, I would like to start by saying thanks to all the folks who answered the many questions I (and others) asked on MiceChat before our trip. All of your tips and pointers were a big help. Much appreciated!

As it got longer I decided to split my report up into parts: Travel and accommodation (for those who care) and Days 1-4. I will try and post each part as quickly as possible! For reference, the last time we were there, DCA looked like this:

Quite a difference between then and now:

Bear with me as this may tend to go on a bit and I do have around 400 photos to pick from! On to the report!

Our flight was at 11:30am from Vancouver, so our ride arrived at the house bright and early at 8:30. Of course it was no trouble getting everyone up on time! I had one more surprise and we were on our way!

Check in and security was a breeze and then we waited. We even got a little taste of Disney before we left Vancouver. These displays were at the terminal our flight was leaving from!

We arrived at our accommodations and settled in. A trip to load up on groceries and we were ready for our adventure to begin!

And our first Hidden Mickey! (sort of)

After a short shopping trip through Downtown Disney andWorld of Disney (where we found Perry!), we headed back to our hotel.

"Downtown Disney"

Back at the suite, it was time to pack it in for the night. Tomorrow was going to be a big day! We were going to Disneyland!

Next up: Day One - Disneyland!

Re: Our trip April 14-17, 2013! Long and many photos...

Good for you!! Great photos so far. The last time we went to Disneyland it was in 1996. Our two youngest had not been born yet. It was the last trip with our son who passed away a few years later. It had been 10 years (2006), since we had been back and the first trip for our youngest children (boy and girl). Bitter sweet trip, BUT amazing seeing the look on the faces our our kids. That is something my husband and I will NEVER forget. Since 2006, we have been back several time.

When there is a long time span between, I truly believe that you appreciate the magic of the trip more. Can't wait to see more
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

Comment

Re: Our trip April 14-17, 2013! Long and many photos... PART 2

DAY 1 - DISNEYLAND!

Our first day was Sunday, April 14th

"Wait a minute! Happy, smiling kids? Wow, it really is magical here! "

In what has become a bit of a tradition over the years of visits to Disneyland and Disneyworld, our first order of business always ends up being a ride around the park on the train. The refurbished station looks beautiful and there was no wait to get aboard the E.P. Ripley.

As we rolled back into the Main Street station, we decided to head down Main Street and see what was new in the shops. A quick pit stop at City Hall for 1st It surely is impossible to keep every inch spotless at every minute of the day, but it looked pretty darn good to us!

After a quick stop at the Market House for coffee (on its last day open before refurbishment into a Starbucks) we pushed ahead.

From there, we went and shot some stuff up in Astro Blasters, where I managed to hit a target that gave me 400,000 points at one time. Just as well as I could only hit about 50,000 on my own :shy:

th anniversary this year, we celebrated with the much talked-about Dole Whip. It was actually my first one! I love pineapple. I love Dole Whip.

After the show, we had time to take a Jungle Cruise before heading to Indy. Our cruise guide was funny enough, but the ear piercing scream she let out at one point near the hippos (I think) nearly made everyone jump out of the boat! I could have done without that! LOL

Indiana Jones was next and the kids loved it. It was much like I remembered, although to me it seemeda little rougher than before. I must be getting old!

Next up, Haunted Mansion! Once again, we pretty much walked right in and it was as good as ever! We walked through New Orleans Square and saw the fireworks from a bit of an odd angle but still enjoyable for the kids. After, we made our way through there and across to the hub again, and after a ride on Finding Nemo we decided it was a good time to take a night time monorail trip. This was the first time since 1987 that I have been able to do a full circuit because in 1999-2000, it was not passing through the future California Adventure. One thing that struck me was how fast it seemed to be. I had forgotten and it was pretty cool. It also gave us our first glance of DCA. Very exciting day coming tomorrow!

Next: On to Day 2!

Comment

Ain't no such thing as a too long report or too many pics. Bring it on!!

EDIT: I tried to get this in before part 2. I was too slow.

Comment

We waited here for about another 15 minutes and another announcement came on, basically repeating the first message. The family behind us was debating about whether to leave or not. The guy said basically in the 4 days they were here, this was the closest they got before they ran out of patience and kept giving up. They left, as did many in front of us again and again we moved up a fair distance.

Another announcement and another mass exodus and ahead we went again. All of a sudden a cheer rippled through the line and we were told the ride was almost ready to go! A test lap or two and we were almost on!

th or 12thFun forthe parental units and the kids loved it.

At this point, we decided to head back towards the front of the park and spend some more time getting immersed in the feel of it all rather than the mad dash we got caught in earlier.

We had Early Morning entry for Disneyland tomorrow so it was for the better.

Bring on Day 3!

Comment

Sounds like an amazing trip -- one your kids are going to remember fondly FOREVER! You seem to've done such smart planning and time/energy management (i.e., knowing when to call it a day, stop for a meal, or sleep in, plus allowing enough days so you could take your time and not feel pressured to "go! go! go!" every single second). It must've been really disappointing to find some of the marquee rides closed, but it's nice to hear such a balanced and thoughtful response. All-in-all your family seems to've really found the recipe for a magical visit to Disneyland. It's been really fun to see your pix and read your report.

Comment

What a great trip report! I feel like I was there with you. I'm anxiously waiting for Day 3.

Comment

For our 3rdNot too many people around made it really quiet!

Once we had lunch, we decided to head back into

Sunset and night time look really cool here! When the sun starts to go down and the lights come on, the whole character of the area changes. I think it looks warmer and more inviting than during the day.

It was getting close to closing time so we started toward the exit and took our time soaking in the sights.

The animation building was actually a neat little highlight for us. My daughter is a HUGE Perry the Platypus fan and spends a lot of time drawing him in various ways. When she saw that you could go and learn to draw Disney characters from an actual Disney artist and saw that Perry was on the list, we had to go in. It is a really quick art class and we all got to keep our drawings afterward. The instructor noticed my daughter wearing her mini stuffed Perry figure and gave her the original drawing that the artist did too. Kinda cool!

Back to the bus and our home away from home for the night. Our last day was nearly upon us. Time for sleep!

Next: Day 4!

Comment

awesome TR! loved the positivity through the commentary!

Comment

I am absolutely loving your trip report. By the way, I have also stayed at Dolphins Cove. In fact, I am staying there again come October. I look forward to reading the rest, and by the way, your photos are great. Your kids are adorable.

By the way, ask the Photopass people to take your picture, with your camera, and then the entire family can be in the picture. Did you do that? Did I miss that picture?

I usually buy an ART Pass, and it leaves me off in front of the Doubletree, which is a very short walk to Dolphin's Cove. Of course, I understand free is better than a "fee".
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

DAY 4 – HERE, THERE and EVERYWHERE

Today was the day we had planned to do anything we may have missed, as well as repeat visits to some of our favorites. It was a beautiful, warm day and we got to DCA at 10:45am.

This was the extent of our walk in the mornings… the shuttle bus is up there on the left somewhere. This was about a 12 minute walk from our door and saved a lot of walking and MUCH complaining! We headed back to Paradise Pier to see it in the daylight and to ride Screamin’ again.

I definitely think that DCA, or at least this part of it, loses some of its charm in the daylight. No real atmosphere like Disneyland. I do think, however, that the Grizzly Peak area is well done. The national park, mountain and pine tree feel to the area is really great and really reminds me of places like Yosemite. The highway signs are a neat touch. It was warm enough today to not worry about getting soaked so off we went to brave the rapids! The River Run is fun but I thought it a little bit short. Overall though, I really liked this whole area.

We figured it was time to go back over to Disneyland for a bit so, after a few more photo ops, we headed out.

“There must be something wrong here. Happy kids again?”

“Just a wall. Kind of caught my eye.”

“Still pretty quiet around here.”

Meanwhile, back at Disneyland…

“MMMM lunchtime!”

"Ooooooo again."

I was pretty impressed by the food here. Both the quality and flavor as well as the quantities were really good. We avoided eating out pretty much the whole visit to save costs but we figured that on the last day we would splurge. Denny’s forbreakfast (whoa) and Rancho for lunch, where would the craziness end!!? I even had (gasp) A CHURRO! After lunch, Tomorrowland beckoned yet again so off we went on another short scenic walk.

“Mine! Mine!Mine! Where is that monorail?”

After a drive around Autopia we really hoped that Space Mountain was secretly open again, but no such luck. We did however find no line to go and see the Ironman display. I love IronMan and it was cool-ish but I wouldn’t have waited to see it. From what I heard, there were waits of over an hour at times to get in. I wonder if those folks wanted a refund on the hour-plus of life they spent. As for the rest of Innoventions… meh. Still, had to take some photos.

The rest of the afternoon was filled with repeats of Pirates (4th time), Haunted Mansion (3rd time), Indiana Jones (3rdtime), Star Tours (3rd time) and of course Splash Mountain then over to DCA again for Tower of Terror and a check on RSR (still too busy but at least we got our one ride in). Just a few more random photos of the last few hours…

And this pretty much brings us to the close of our adventure. We had an excellent 4 days and enjoyed every minute of it. Of course there were some minor disappointments and some sore feet but in the grand scheme of things, I count any of us extremely lucky to be able to experience the wonder that is Disneyland. I am probably with the majority in saying that I prefer the classic Disneyland over DCA but either way, we had a great time and managed to fill our 4 days easily. The fact that as soon as you walk through the gates and forget the real world is out there means they’re doing something right and I for one would take a bad day at Disneyland over a good day at work anytime!

Did we see everything? No. Am I sorry for that? Nope. Just gives us a reason to get back sooner than later. And that is something I plan to try and do very soon!

I think I can say I still love Disneyland and now our kids are a part of the memories. I hope I didn’t bore everyone! Thanks for reading this and your comments are welcome. I will try to answer anyquestions I can as soon as I can.

“A fitting end to an amazing adventure”

Comment

Originally posted by familymemories View Post
                        Good for you!! Great photos so far. The last time we went to Disneyland it was in 1996. Our two youngest had not been born yet. It was the last trip with our son who passed away a few years later. It had been 10 years (2006), since we had been back and the first trip for our youngest children (boy and girl). Bitter sweet trip, BUT amazing seeing the look on the faces our our kids. That is something my husband and I will NEVER forget. Since 2006, we have been back several time.

When there is a long time span between, I truly believe that you appreciate the magic of the trip more. Can't wait to see more
                        Thank you for the kind remarks. I am glad you still found happiness at a tough time! I don't know if I can wait another long time. Feels like it's time to start planning again!

Comment

Originally posted by emwhysee View Post
                          Sounds like an amazing trip -- one your kids are going to remember fondly FOREVER! You seem to've done such smart planning and time/energy management (i.e., knowing when to call it a day, stop for a meal, or sleep in, plus allowing enough days so you could take your time and not feel pressured to "go! go! go!" every single second). It must've been really disappointing to find some of the marquee rides closed, but it's nice to hear such a balanced and thoughtful response. All-in-all your family seems to've really found the recipe for a magical visit to Disneyland. It's been really fun to see your pix and read your report.
                          Thanks! Yeah, the point of going for 4 days was to make sure we had time without being stressed out. It worked! :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
                            What a great trip report! I feel like I was there with you. I'm anxiously waiting for Day 3.
                            Thank you! Read on!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                              I am absolutely loving your trip report. By the way, I have also stayed at Dolphins Cove. In fact, I am staying there again come October. I look forward to reading the rest, and by the way, your photos are great. Your kids are adorable.

By the way, ask the Photopass people to take your picture, with your camera, and then the entire family can be in the picture. Did you do that? Did I miss that picture?

I usually buy an ART Pass, and it leaves me off in front of the Doubletree, which is a very short walk to Dolphin's Cove. Of course, I understand free is better than a "fee".
                              Thanks so much Barbaraann, I appreciate that. I was inspired by your reports! (Most recently WDW which I would love to get back to)

Believe it or not, all of my photos were taken with my cell phone. I had decided I didn't want to carry around a bunch of stuff so it worked well. My kids have another 300-350 pics that I will choose the best from add to this thread soon (they used real cameras lol)

We did have some Photopass pictures done, but frankly I was not impressed by any of them. There is one I might be able to justify but pricey!! Having them take a picture with your camera though is a great idea for everyone to follow!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X