X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisCollector
    MiceChatter
    • Nov 2012

[Chat] Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this question, or open this up for discussion since it's about two parks, not just one, but does anyone enjoy both Universal and Disney? Just curious.
  • G24T
    No Disassemble!
    • Dec 2011

Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

I absolutely love both parks. I also love Knott's, Legoland, and Sea World.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
      MiceChatter
      • Feb 2005

I'm not just a "Disney" fan, I'm a fan of Theme/Amusement parks period. I've visited almost 40 different parks and ridden almost 230 coasters and most of those parks I enjoyed visiting. Only a few I didn't care for.

A good park is a good park whether it's Disney, Universal, Busch, Six Flags, Cedar Fair or any number of independent parks.

In fact, in my list of top 10 parks only 3 of them are Disney parks and only one of them is on the West Coast.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
        Beach Expert
        • Sep 2006

Especially if you're from So Cal it really is rare to find someone who likes just Disneyland. Most all of the locals like the parks pretty much equally IMO.

Comment

• Coheteboy
          Starcruiser.. crash crash
          MiceChat Moderator
          • Sep 2005

While Disney is my all time favorite, there's plenty to like in the other parks. Disneyland Resort remains my all time favorite... though I need to visit Tokyo before I make a final decision.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• jasmineray
            MiceChatter
            • Jun 2012

My mother never took us to Universal as kids. I think it was because we didn't know much about Universal (despite living in Los Angeles) and my uncle worked (still does) for Disney, so our Disneyland admission tickets were always free of charge.

Fast forward years and years later in 2010... My eldest brother got a job at Universal and every Christmas, the Team Members get complimentary tickets for the family. My brother took myself, my mom and his girlfriend to the park. I didn't know what to expect, but as soon as I stepped foot into the park, I WAS IN LOVE. I'm a HUGE movie buff and a HUGE fan of film, so when I saw the crew statues, I wanted to scream. We walked through the park and I saw backdrops, faux sets, actors... Holy moly. We did the studio tour and that did it for me. I've been returning and returning ever since, and every Christmas, it has become tradition that we all go to the park as a family. My AP actually expires next month. Not looking forward to that.

I love both Disney and Universal. I also enjoy visiting Knott's, Magic Mountain, Sea World and other theme parks. I don't discriminate or judge.
            Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

• Meville
              I'm from Canada eh!
              • Nov 2008

I feel like both parks offer really great experiances and consider myself a fan of both. That being said, The DLR will always be my "home park" and thus every other park I visit is judged by it.
              I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

• bayouguy
                Bayou Native
                • Jul 2006

I've stopped going to other amusement parks and have focused on Disneyland. It's a budget decision to do so. And I am not much of a fan for the loops and motions of roller coasters or simulators.
                We do zoos and botanical gardens as well.
                I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

• mratigan
                  Say no to screens
                  • Feb 2011

I like the themed entertainment industry altogether
                  Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Comment

• RegionsBeyond
                    Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Yes, I am quite fond of Universal Hollywood, Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure, as well as Knott's Berry Farm, and other smaller parks that have dark ride/spookhouse type attractions - not all Disney all the time. I'd rank the Universal parks in Orlando higher in enjoyment factor, for example, than DCA or current EPCOT as a whole (though I quite enjoy both those parks).
                    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

• NineteenTwenty8
                      Sock Puppet
                      • Jun 2012

I love Disney but LIKE Universal. I think Universal makes a good product, they spend big money on their attractions and are definately Disney's biggest competition. However, something just lacks (for me) in their product, cannot really pinpoint what it is though.

There really is a 'magic' that Disney brings to its parks, something that Universal just hasnt figured out how to do yet. Universal spends money, they build big amazing things, but they seem to lack that spark that Disney is able to infuse in its parks. Maybe its because Universal doesn't have the legacy of a brilliant man like Walt Disney behind it? again, I dont know, but they just aren't the same.

So yea, in short, LOVE Disney, LIKE Universal. =)
                      Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 05-16-2013, 11:01 AM.
                      'The Annette Funicello Research Fund' | http://annetteconnection.com/How-to-Help.php - please consider donating today to help fight MS.

Comment

• 14 MPH
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2012

Yup. I even got a Universal Annual Pass for the first time.

Both were a part of my life growing up.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
                        Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
                        Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
                        Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Comment

• biggsworth
                          MiceChatter
                          • Apr 2009

I would say most of us probably like both! I am in that group
                          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                          My company had a special night at the park
                          WdW trip report with WWoHP
                          NYE 2011 trip report
                          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                          Leap year 24 hour report
                          New DCA trip report
                          NYE 2012
                          HKDL trip report

Comment

• spacyglitz1
                            *Experiment 999*
                            • Feb 2013

i love theme parks in general...some more than others. I finally got one for universal as well since i slip in there occasionally. I will always prefer Disney Parks, but change is ok every once in awhile. I enjoy options.

Comment

• Ryan120420
                              MiceChatter
                              • Oct 2008

I'm a theme park/amusement park fan, so I love them both. And I'm absolutely thrilled with the direction that Comcast is taking the Universal parks.
                              For Disney Theme Park Video Click Here!

Comment

• johnlawwhiskey
                                Banned User
                                • May 2013

Count me in the minority, I don't like Knott's, Universal, or Six Flags. I live in San Diego and have passes to Sea World and Disneyland. We use Sea World passes as a back up when we can't make the trip to Disneyland or when the weather is too hot at Disneyland, also on overly crowded days. We don't go to Sea World to ride the rides though, we go for the shows and animals, it's like a glorified zoo to us. We used to have passes to the San Diego Zoo, but the hills in the park were just too much for me as I am disabled.

I have been to Knott's a number of times. Knott's is a great theme park. I love the theming, I enjoy the atmosphere, but the rides are very limited at Knott's for people like us. My boyfriend and I do not ride roller coasters, or rides where you get wet, I don't like swinging rides and he doesn't like spinning rides. Knott's truly has separate kids rides and adult rides, Disneyland does not. At Disneyland, we can ride every ride in Fantasyland, quite happily, and Casey Jr Circus train is one of our favorites, in addition to It's A Small World. At Knott's, at last count (in early January) there were only six rides that we would ride. Unfortunately, six rides is not enough to justify the cost of going to Knott's Berry Farm for us.

Universal Studios California to us was extremely lame. Sometimes I wonder where they come up with the ideas for theme parks. The movie theme is there of course, but it just doesn't grab you and immerse you into a park with all one theme like Disneyland does. The last time I was at Universal Studios I left thinking "that's it". It's also more of a "half day" theme park to me, whereas you can spend a full day at Disneyland.

Six Flags is the worst of the theme parks from where we stand, and it's not just because we don't like roller coasters. The atmosphere there is very "high school" and it is always overrun with rowdy teenagers racing from one end of the park to the next. There is a lot of trash on the ground, there is a lot of maintenance that needs done that isn't done, and there are a lot of things that you notice that destroy the magic of the place. The other big gripe about Six Flags is that they want you to pay for the fast pass system (Flash Pass if I remember correctly). If Disney's is free, why should I pay almost as much as my ticket price to use it? I understand it's optional, but seriously, it just seems to silly to pay that much. I would rather them raise the prices and just include the Flash Pass in the ticket prices.

When I think about how much more there is for us to do at Disneyland, and I look at the prices of the other theme parks $80 for Universal, $59.99 for Knotts, and $64.99 for Six Flags, we always think for a little bit more we can have Disney so why go anywhere else. And I know you can get discounted tickets online, but we are last minute people when I am feeling well enough to make a trip, and so we very rarely can "plan ahead" for things like a day trip to a theme park.

Sea World is actually becoming too overpriced, but two years ago we scored a deal of $99.00 for Silver Passports that included parking for 2 years. They expire this summer on my boyfriend's birthday and they are almost double the price now. We are still trying to decide if it's worth it to renew it. We do use them frequently during the summer, at Halloween, at Christmas, and on New Year's Eve.

Comment

• Barbaraann
                                  Chicago Gal
                                  • Apr 2005

I haven't been to many other themeparks besides the Disney ones. However, when I have gone, I can't see myself spending more than a day. So for me Disneyland is a long vacation, and the other themeparks that I have visited are just "day trips".
                                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

• j11
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Oct 2011

As others have said, I enjoy visiting multiple theme/amusement parks. Living in So. Cal, we have a great selection within 2 hours.

Originally posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
                                    Universal Studios California to us was extremely lame. Sometimes I wonder where they come up with the ideas for theme parks. The movie theme is there of course, but it just doesn't grab you and immerse you into a park with all one theme like Disneyland does. The last time I was at Universal Studios I left thinking "that's it". It's also more of a "half day" theme park to me, whereas you can spend a full day at Disneyland.
                                    USH was first/is still a movie studio before it is a theme park. Its something some Micechatters have said which is all correct. Being somewhat landlocked, it can't be a grand theme park. And yeah, its quite the small park. I guess to like USH, you have to not have high expectations and love the movie making aspect of it. You don't need to plan anything there or ever feel rushed. Its such a leisure park.
                                    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                                      Adventure First, Ad Last
                                      • Mar 2006

I've never been a theme parks I didn't like
                                      Six Flags MM has some great coasters (and the one in Texas is fun too)
                                      Knotts and Universal are trying to get to a more Disney level but still have the most amazing Halloween Events around
                                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• BogLurch
                                        Inactive
                                        • Jun 2005

Definitely a fan of both parks - the "Halcyon Days" for me were just out of High School, working at Knott's with passes to Disney and Magic Mountain. Universal wasn't really competing at that point - IIRC it was basically just the studio tour and shows at that point, ET was still a few years off.

Lately been at Universal exclusively, but that's because a) Transformers became my favorite ride ever, and b) Disney made it very apparent they're not looking for visitors in my budget range. VERY apparent.
                                        Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X