• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blake
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2010

[Pictures] Amateur park photography with a point-and-shoot

There are about a gazillion photo threads, but I hope people will allow me a little self-indulgence here. Let me explain what you all have done to me.

During our 2011 trip, I took TONS of photos, most of which were shots of us in front of something. I had grown up at Disneyland (my mother worked there when I was a kid), so I didn't really see all the "photo opportunities" others see. It was more like the normal backdrop of a neighborhood I grew up in. But after that 2011 trip, I found that I LOVED looking at photos of the park posted here. Many are truly stunning, but almost all are just fun to look at. I decided that on my next visit, I'd make more of an effort to take the sorts of photos I've enjoyed here. Based on advice I'd read in various threads, I tried to make my photos more "interesting" than the typical "smile with Mickey!" shots. I also touched some of them up a bit (mainly lighting and saturation) in Photoshop Elements, partly to compensate for the dreary skies that prevailed most of the time we were there. (This was back in March. Sorry I'm a bit late posting.)

I'm most definitely not a photographer, and I didn't want to invest in anything bulky, expensive, or complicated. I opted to get a decent point-and-shoot, though, rather than rely on a cell phone camera again. After reading a lot of reviews, I settled on a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS. I won't go into its features, but I will say that I used its telephoto lens a LOT more than I anticipated, and I was pleased with the results.

So, without further ado, here are some photos taken in early March 2013 with a point-and-shoot camera by someone with no discernible talent in photography. Please judge accordingly.

it's a small world by blaked36, on Flickr

I was really impressed with the telephoto lens on this camera. Here's the Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain shot from Tarzan's Treehouse:

Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain from Tarzan's Treehouse by blaked36, on Flickr

And again from Tarzan's Treehouse:

Splash Mountain from Tarzan's Treehouse by blaked36, on Flickr

And again without the zoom:

New Orleans Square/Critter Country seen from Tarzan's Treehouse by blaked36, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean facade from Tarzan's Treehouse by blaked36, on Flickr

View from the Astro Orbitor by blaked36, on Flickr

The old PeopleMover track seen from the Astro Orbitor by blaked36, on Flickr

Columbia by blaked36, on Flickr

Columbia seen from the Hungry Bear restaurant by blaked36, on Flickr

I was pretty happy with how this one turned out. We were stopped at the train station by Toon Town, and I quickly snapped this through the leaves:

Mickey's Toon Town clock seen from the Disneyland Railroad by blaked36, on Flickr

Another shot where the telephoto lens really showed its unexpected worth:

Star Tours by blaked36, on Flickr

Star Tours by blaked36, on Flickr

Here I was struck by the juxtaposition of the building, the fountain, and the decorative border in the foreground:

Carthay Circle and fountain by blaked36, on Flickr

Adventureland sign from the Tiki Room courtyard by blaked36, on Flickr

Adventureland by blaked36, on Flickr

Adventureland by blaked36, on Flickr

Grizzly Peak by blaked36, on Flickr

Grizzly River Run by blaked36, on Flickr

Night time and dreary weather didn't help these shots, but I was still happy with the colors I managed to get:

Submarine lagoon by blaked36, on Flickr

Tomorrowland/Star Tours by blaked36, on Flickr

Astro Orbitor by blaked36, on Flickr

Cars Land by blaked36, on Flickr

Flik's Flyers by blaked36, on Flickr

I managed to catch my wife and kid upside-down in this shot, which I guess speaks well of the camera's speed:

California Screamin' by blaked36, on Flickr

Snow White by blaked36, on Flickr

Pixie Hollow by blaked36, on Flickr

The Matterhorn from Pixie Hollow by blaked36, on Flickr

Astro Orbitor from Pixie Hollow by blaked36, on Flickr
  • RegionsBeyond
    Unnatural and dreadful

MiceChat Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Re: Amateur park photography with a point-and-shoot

Thank you very much for sharing these, and trying out/experimenting with things you never thought to photograph before always worthwhile usually!

I particularly liked the shot from the Astro Orbitor, and the Snow White grotto statue with the water streams from the fountain. Keep up the good work!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

• biggsworth
      MiceChatter
      • Apr 2009

Good job. You look like a photographer to me! PM one is my favorite.
      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      My company had a special night at the park
      WdW trip report with WWoHP
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

• Kimickey
        MiceChatter
        • Mar 2009

Very nicely done!

I have a dslr myself, the Sony Alpha 77 - but probably 6 out of 10 visits, I carry a p&s - I have the Sony DSCHX10V. The amount of digital imaging technology and in-camera imaging software that's being packed into the current p&s cameras from Sony, Canon, Nikon and Panasonic/Lumix is stunning.

Enjoy!

Kimickey

Comment

• Ron W
          MiceChatter
          • Jul 2009

Very nice - you said you are not a photographer, but I think you are one ​now.

Comment

• alphabassetgrrl
            • May 2005

Taking pictures is one of my main activities in the park anymore. Fun hobby and you got some fun shots!

I've got a DSLR, but I still use my point and shoot as a complement to it.
            I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

• sbk1234
              formerly very helpful
              • Sep 2007

These are all really good! Thanks for sharing.
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

• PrincessLizz
                MiceChatter
                • Aug 2011

these are great point and shoot shots!
                hey, who said you need a crazy thousans dollar camera to take awsome pics of the happiest place on earth!(: i think everyone goes a little camera happy there lol
                but your carthay circle with the fountain, is genious
                and the rockets pic flying facing the castle and pixie hallow is... ah beautiful lol
                good pics!

Comment

• robbiem
                  Hello
                  • Jul 2009

Great pics. The key to photography is composition & getting an interesting shot which you've done. Having an expensive camera is nice but not essential

I love the way you've found some different angles of familiar things to make us look at them a new light and you've done really well with night shots which are hard to do.

Keep up the good work and make sure you share the results with us :-)

Comment

• brianpinsky
                    Disneyland 20 year APH
                    • Sep 2012

All the photos I take I use my iPhone for and with that its a mixed bag but there are always some that look like coming from a expensive camera. I don't care what price your camera is, as long as you can get the picture/message/story across that you want your audience to understand.
                    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
                    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Comment

• ssaamm
                      Banned User
                      • Jun 2010

These are actually amazing, love the different perspective of photos, not angles/shots you usually see. I love the shot from the Astro Orbitor of the hub and castle.

Comment

• SeaWorldMike
                        Co-Host of USWP
                        • Feb 2009

I love these shots! You actually have a good eye for interesting shots. I'm not a photographer either but enjoy taking photos of the parks myself. I usually take about a hundred shots before I get one that I really like. Even so, I don't feel like most of those compare to what you have here. Nice.

Comment

• penguinsoda
                          Jester of Randomness
                          MiceChat Moderator
                          • Jan 2005

:blink: No talent? You got some great shots!! I especially love the Small World shot! A lot of the newer P&S cameras can do almost as much as a fancy DSLR, but the person behind the camera is a big factor too. And you have some wonderful shots! Don't sell yourself short here! Keep taking those pictures and keep sharing them with us!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                          all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                            MiceChatter
                            • Feb 2005

First off, Great Photos!!!

I've always felt I've been able to get good pictures with a point and shoot camera. I switched to a Canon Power Shot last year for park updates and while I do think some pictures are better, with the right settings you can get the same or better pictures on a point and shoot. During our trip back east last year I decided to just take my point and shoot because I didn't want to carry around the Canon for 8 days.

I see people with all of these hyper-expensive camera's and lenses and while there are some talented people to be sure, if you don't know how to use it correctly it's all a waste.

Comment

• familymemories
                              Familymemories
                              • Apr 2013

I really like the photos! Thanks for sharing your talent.
                              Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

Comment

• Zeth
                                MiceChatter
                                • Nov 2011

Great shots! The nighttime Finding Nemo one was my favorite.

Comment

• IzzyInWonderland
                                  Mrs. J. Depp
                                  • Mar 2008

You should just know that a photographer is not measured by their equipment, but by their creative eye. Fantastic shots! You have made me more excited to use my new Power Shot when I go in a couple of weeks.

Facebook me!
                                  Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• oodelally
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Feb 2012

Great pics! Your camera is way better than mine!

Comment

• disneygrandpa
                                      photography Nut
                                      • Nov 2010

Very nice shots !!! As a very wise man once told me.. " Its not the camera but the photographer that makes a photo great " You're well on your way to be a very creative photographer ! Keep up the good work and just have fun with it !!
                                      View my Flickr stream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674970@N04/

Comment

• bezerkus
                                        New MiceChatter
                                        • May 2013

Fantastic photos! Seriously inspirational with the eye you have. You are doing exactly what I am planning to do on my 2nd ever trip to Disneyland as my first caught me completely by surprise (hard to do at 43). It is definitely a candy store for photographers and you should consider yourself one. I seriously could spend all day taking photos. Peoplemover tracks are my favorite photo as well, wish I would have gone on that while that was running...seriously feel like I missed out on something special that will never be done again.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X