This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ah schucks
    Used to be that "Gay Days" were unsupported by Disney because it intially seemed to fly in the face of the family values that Disney supports. After enough complaints and facing the fact that a large portion of male CMs are in fact themselves gay, Disney began support for the program.
    Not to start the inaugural MiceChat "Gay Day Thread" WAY too early, but I don't think Disney "supports" this event. There are no special announcements or advertisements, its all "word of mouth" and internet advertising. That they make facilities available to a demographic with a lot of cash to spend (compared to many other demographics), as well as an affinity for the Disney product, is just business.

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
    I think the reason ticket prices continue to rise is to keep the "riff raff" out.
    I'm not sure what is meant by "riff raff", but people with money (in this day and age especially) are perfectly capable of making ***** of themselves. Having money might even be feeding into their sense of entitlement. People who were raised as spoiled brats and managed to not squander the family fortune will often be spoiled adult brats.

my $0.02 .......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

I agree with Cellerhound, its not enjoyable or pleasent to watch parents cross that boundry where they take out something on a child. Most of the time, it only make the problem worse as children who are physically abused in public in the name of discpline, cry out in pain rather than some sublime power struggle.

I feel bad for parents because it is a fine line to walk when raising a child but finer yet is the line that we who are privy to a scene must walk when we step in and say enough is enough the child got the point the first time you gave him a firm but gentle swat.

Comment

when my mother and I were in the haunted mansion in the portrait hall a woman shoved both my mother and I apart and went rushing up the hall doing that to anyone who was in her way. her husband was doing the same thing and they were older. (Like 50's or 60's) Without thiking much I yelled "hey, crack head slow down!" she did not repsond. As they got in their doom buggies I saw they were japanese so maybe they did not know our laungage or our customs of not pushing your way through a line.

the other thing that was just slightly annoying were the teenage girls screaming at the top of their lungs as they walked down main street.

Comment

Originally posted by cellarhound
          Pet Peeves that Disrespectful Guests do.
          7. People who drop coins from the top of the escalators of the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure.
          I haven't seen ppl do that here, but they do it all the time on ToT. It really pisses the CM's off. Not that I've ever been one, but you can totally tell.
          "Somebody need me too much; somebody know me too well. Somebody pull me up short, and put me through hell, and give me support for being alive. Make me alive. Make me alive! Make me confused; mock me with praise. Let me be used. Vary my days. But alone is alone, not alive. Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care. Somebody let me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you, to help us survive being alive."
          --"Being Alive"
          Company Stephen
          Sondheim

Comment

I am talking about the parents who get possessed by some inner demon and go way overboard and really let loose on their 4 year olds in public for no good reason... And you watch the situation from beginning to ending, and you wonder who is more tired, is it the adults or the kids...

We aren't talking a smack on the rear... we are talking thermonuclear explosion...
            Agreed. I'm not personally for spanking your kid, I am actually pretty opposed to it, but if a parent really wants to that's up to them. What is unacceptable are parents who make a huge scene of it for some reason. Do they feel that since their kid is being loud people are going to question their parenting ability and overcompensate by bellowing out angry orders to their kid and hitting them or angrily grabbing them a few times? Parents who do this quickly and with a sense of control... well I'm not for it but it's at least "okay." Throwing a bigger fit than your kid (something that seems to happen disturbingly often in the park) is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker Bell
              I haven't seen ppl do that here, but they do it all the time on ToT. It really pisses the CM's off. Not that I've ever been one, but you can totally tell.
              Oh, I bet... I am certain that some people feel they can get away with it because the ride is semi enclosed... But I can imagine some teenager thinking it is cool to throwing a penny out of the open doors at the top of the ride...

(And you thought that the Sky Way is no longer a problem...)

Chewing gum and graffiti are the things I hate the most...
              Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                I had an experience on POTC where a group of ummm how do i say this without sounding racist, latino teenagers in the boat in front of us were singing. Not the POTC song...some other song in spanish...very loud. I couldn't help but to yell at them to shut up but I know that only feuled it more. It ruined the whole ride. if my teenager acted like that, i'd slap them.

It's not offecsive to me. I am part Mexican, and consider myself Latino- and I have to be honest that some of "my" people are the worst behaved, EVER.
                My mind won't rest
                and I don't sleep
                Not even in my dreams...
                -"If You Ever Did Believe"
                written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
                1985-2005

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyphile
                  I think people just have a much bigger sense of "entitlement" these days, and feel they can act the way they want. The fact that our society has become so "sue happy" over the stupidest things also doesn't help. I think the reason people aren't "booted" or "disallowed" from the park anymore is that some of those folks would be very quick to file a discrimination suit.
                  I agree entirely. It has become so bad that people don't even want to be corrected. It's disgusting!
                  My mind won't rest
                  and I don't sleep
                  Not even in my dreams...
                  written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
                  1985-2005

Comment

OK, now here is my answer to all of this....

1. I don't know about a lot of people, but I would NEVER dream of throwing any kind of fit at Disneyland. A trip was usually a special trip-there was no way I was going to blow that! Also, my mother raised me to BEHAVE, something a lot of parents don't teach their children. My generation is often proof of that & Disneyland happens to be a prime place they like to assert that fact.
                    2. I have actually started taking pictures of graffitis (like people carving into the wood railings) and gum on the wall. I don't know what to do with the pictures yet, but I agree something HAS to be done to fix that.

I had an incident once in line for Big Thunder. A woman was politely going through the line because the rest of her party was already in line. Now, you don't normally believe that, but she was pretty polite about it, so people were letting her through. A man in fron tof my mother and I started cursing at her for cutting in line. My mother, the wonderfully outspoken woman she is, told him to shut up (not in those words exactly) and reminded him that children were present (I do not remember seeing any with him). He then proceeded to taunt my mother. This may seem "Disney elitist" but people who behave like that she just not be allowed in the park. They dont deserve that kind of happiness *Hmmph!* Seriously, though. It was just rude and highly unnessesary...

Also, being a teenager of late, I see so much appalling behavior I often refuse to call myself a teenager...I sympathize
                    My mind won't rest
                    and I don't sleep
                    Not even in my dreams...
                    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
                    1985-2005

Comment

I am talking about the parents who get possessed by some inner demon and go way overboard and really let loose on their 4 year olds in public for no good reason...
                      There are lots of bad parents out there, no doubt about it. Many too soft, most too harsh, and allmost all WAY too inconsistant. When you're in a good mood, the rules are this. When you're in a bad mood, the rules are something else.

To do it REALLY, REALLY well requires.... well, no one does it really, really well. Heck, I screwed up big time.... It's like being a doctor.... it takes about 12-15 years to "figure it out". Of course, by that time it is too late...

Well, I guess the differences between being a parent and being a doctor is that there is a selection process to med school, and people go into it knowing it will be hard. There is no qualification process for reproduction, and most parents think it is going to be a piece of cake... HA!

Oh, then there is the whole pay thing! Parenthood.... no pay so good.

I really, really, really wish that when I was 20, I hadn't married a woman with 2 kids..... I would have been a much better father at 30 then I was at 20.... then again, it was better the girls had a father... even if 20 and stupid, than none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sorceress1986
                        I had an incident once in line for Big Thunder. A woman was politely going through the line because the rest of her party was already in line. Now, you don't normally believe that, but she was pretty polite about it, so people were letting her through. A man in fron tof my mother and I started cursing at her for cutting in line. My mother, the wonderfully outspoken woman she is, told him to shut up (not in those words exactly) and reminded him that children were present (I do not remember seeing any with him). He then proceeded to taunt my mother. This may seem "Disney elitist" but people who behave like that she just not be allowed in the park. They dont deserve that kind of happiness *Hmmph!* Seriously, though. It was just rude and highly unnessesary...
                        It is usually at Disneyland when I think this:

If we spend 1/3 of our lives asleap... I wonder how much of it we spend waiting in line for splash mountain?
                        Last edited by cellarhound; 03-15-2005, 05:14 PM.
                        Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
                          There are lots of bad parents out there, no doubt about it. Many too soft, most too harsh, and allmost all WAY too inconsistant. When you're in a good mood, the rules are this. When you're in a bad mood, the rules are something else.
                          And it happens to almost everyone we know... The problem is you watch the drama play out... And it is just that a drama... Almost like it is scripted...

And it is completely avoidable...
                          Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by ah schucks
                            ACLU baby! Freaking saintity of individualism cripples the ability of an instituation to do anything that singles anyone our for bad marks.

Used to be that "Gay Days" were unsupported by Disney because it intially seemed to fly in the face of the family values that Disney supports. After enough complaints and facing the fact that a large portion of male CMs are in fact themselves gay, Disney began support for the program.

It goes the same with all behavior, our letigious society has gone so far we are crippled by our own law system and we cannot refuse the right to refuse service anymore. Customer is always right. Its sick but if a guest pushes a CM that CM cannot defend him or herself legally. You must be made to suffer the insults and taunts of guests because that guest paid for admission an deserves the right to heckle you.
                            :bow:
                            you are my god LOL speak out brother LOL
                            Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey :ap:

Comment

Early one day, when Indy was still in the first year of it's immense popularity, I was in the queue with my then-GF. The line had already stretched out of Adventureland and around to the gateway of Frontierland. There was an Indian family behind me, four - maybe five of them, and people were piling onto this line by the second.

A very fit, athletic black man and his son (perhaps 8 years old) had decided that it didn't matter how many had already gotten into the queue - he'd chosen his and his son's spot. He proceeds to slip in behind me and directly in front of the Indian family. I could see the rather perturbed look on their faces at being disregarded so blatantly. The man himself just went on about his day, looking around thru sunglasses as if this was just the norm.

Now, I did what in this day and age can be considered very stupid and dangerous - but I couldn't help myself. I decided to confront another human being. I think it was the fact that these Indians looked so intimidated by this event that set me off. I've always hated bullies...in all of their shapes and sizes. I'm also very impulsive....I don't always think before speaking or acting.

"The end of the line's back there," I advised the guy.

His response can't be repeated here without getting creative.

Well, the finer memories of the next few minutes have faded with the passing of time, but I do remember some things much clearer than others.

- The guy was about as fit as Wesly Snipes, and just as intimdating to look at.
                              - He was ready and willing to fight me right then and there, and he let me know by shoving me several times.
                              - Thinking that if I engaged him, I would surely lose. If I didn't end up in a hospital, the day would be over regardless knowing the park's policy about people fighting: You fight, You go.

As he continued to goad me, I kept my back to him and my body in between him and my GF (who was terrified at this point). I scanned about for a security officer, but of course, there was none to be found. There was no way I was going to leave this line and leaving my GF near this guy, and I wasn't about to send her off on some easter egg hunt either. Nor was I going to chased from this line. The best thing I could think of turned out to be a miserable failure of a move in retrospect.

A kid of about maybe 19 was watching the queue, and he was the closest thing to authority I could find in the immediate area. I told him of everything that had gone down, including the physical challenging. The guy was standing right there as I relayed the story, doing so not as angry guest, but being very, very sardonic about it. Well, I can't really blame this poor kid for being scared (and believe you me - he was), but I do wish he'd at least had a radio. His solution was to actually have the guy step out of line for a few seconds while others passed. I'm actually amazed this guy agreed to it, but I was equally amazed at the "solution" to this problem.

As we got further and further in line away from the guy, the Indian family behind me thanked me for speaking up. That almost calmed the Neil Peart drum solo my heart was doing. My GF hugged me and thanked me for not getting into what would have been a very bad beating, I'm sure. Well, with this guy being allowed back in line, we'd inevitably passed each other as the queue zigged and zagged.

"Happy now, **ss*?" he asked, actually bearing a toothy grin.

Not to be outdone (again without thinking), I returned the grin. "Yup. Thanks for asking!"

I then overheard him muttering to his eight year old son not to "grow up to be a **ss*. Suberb parenting there, Chief!

It was a weird sort of justice in that he was made to wait roughly the equivalent of people he'd cheated out of line, but in my head, he should have been booted the second he'd took physical action against another guest. Sure, I could have followed up on this by having one of the cast members call for an officer to meet us at the exit, but my GF was celebrating a birthday that day.

I just didn't have the heart to stir the waters any more than had been done. I wanted to salvage what was left.

I kicked that guy's several different times during the drive home in my imagination.
                              "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

I was at the Haunted Mansion last Friday and I was next to a couple in the stretching gallery and the girl was telling her boyfriend "you really don't remember this ride?" and the guy said "no, I don't think I've ever been in here" and it was extremely loud inside because of obnoxious guests. I figured that everybody would quiet down once Master Gracey began his spiel, but I should have known better.
                                It seemed as if everybody got slightly LOUDER to speak OVER the narration. It was absolutely ridiculous. I didn't mind as much because I've been on the ride so many times, but I felt SO bad for the guy who I was near because he was looking around at the stretching portraits with a sense of confused wonder as if he were thinking "wow, this is amazing.. if only i could hear what was going on"

It's a shame people aren't considerate. This guys first time (or at least first MEMORY) at the Haunted Mansion was ruined because of loud, obnoxious day guests who shouldn't have even been at the ride if they weren't going to shut up at all.

It was even more annoying when the Hallway to Limbo was just as loud, if not louder than the stretching gallery because people talked even louder to drown out the lightning sound effects and the further narration by Gracey.

Sad.

If only Disney could figure out a way to really get guests to act right. But I guess rude people will continue being rude people as long as they have the capability of breathing.
                                Last edited by MasterGracey; 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

I have never had a bad time at Disneyland, but a few unfortunate events have occured during a few visits:
                                  -Being the polite person I am, a small child wanted to hold my sock monkey and so I gave in and let the kid see him. It started out fine, but things changed from good to horrible in an instant! The kid bit his tail and proceeded to rip his ear off. It was a nightmare. A nightmare horrific.
                                  -A Turkish woman, thinking I wouldn't notice, reached into my back pocket, removed my wallett, took out $4.00 and returned the wallett to my pocket. She then proceeded to spend the four dollars on fortunes from that pirate at pieces of eight!
                                  -As I was waiting in line for Space Mountain, two elderly individuals spit on my shoe; claiming that "young people these days have no understanding for the value of a dollar."
                                  -Approached by two "unmarked cast members" I was told that my purchasing of 13 frozen bananas in one day could be considered suspicious activity and that I had better disperse me spending in a less prejudice manner.
                                  -After answering a question wrong during one of the mock-quiz shows in Innoventions, a rather large and immobile man with a right on his finger that didn't appear to be married informed me that fat people are smarter than fit people and proceeded to eat the rest of my 13th frozen banana.

To name a few.
                                  Cosmo Kramer: Well I can't go back to the public courses now! I can't! I WON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
                                    I think the reason ticket prices continue to rise is to keep the "riff raff" out.
                                    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

Comment

At New Years, I accidently stepped on a ladies blanket she had laid out on the side walk and she totally blew it out of proportion. I was walking along the sidewalk not noticing it was laid out and accidently stepped on it. She stood up and went balistic on me. I kept saying I was sorry and she started cussing me out. I said something back to her and then some guy walked up to me and said she was his mother and he didn't like how I was talking to her and how I was being a bad influence on his kid. She was the one that was yelling the cuss words to me for ACCIDENTLY stepping on her BLANKET. She must of had a LONG day and something was riding up because she was being and complete- oh, I can't say that word. But that was a bad experience that was completely rediculous.

Another time, I was with a few friends. We were waiting to get on Star Tours and when that pre-ride video came on, they started laughing at the ladies hair-do and saying immature remarks. Then we got on the ride, and they were being completely immature. When the captain said "cockpit", they were like, "HAHAHA, he said ****!" It was very immature of them and ruined the experience of the ride. Not to mention, they were dressed like complete wierdos.

Comment

You know what, I think people really under-estimate the amount of power Disneyland cast members and security have over them. People must think that just because this is the Happiest Place on Earth, they can get away with anything. Meanwhile, they really have to no idea how much they're being watched and how in a matter of minutes, they can be removed from the park for doing, stuff, to say the least. Am I wrong?

Comment

I hate to be a nerdy sunny side upper here, but if I really want to have a good time at DL, nothing can sour it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X