Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lone Ranger in the parks?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Lone Ranger in the parks?

    As I can't help but notice that Disney is trying to make The Lone Ranger into its next PotC, I was wondering what were the chances of seeing the Lone Ranger and Tonto make appearances like Captain Jack, Angelica (wherever she has gone), ant etc? I know the last slew of live action movies didnt have character counterparts but I think they were for the following reasons: AiW characters would have been inconsistent with existing characters. No indoor Area where Tron would fit. Oz didnt have that iconic of a look(and isn't really Disney's per-say). So what about the Lone Ranger. He seems like a perfect fit for Frontierland.

  • #2
    Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

    If the audience agrees with the critics, The Lone Ranger will be a lone film with no permanent representation in the parks.

    Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

      I saw it tonight, thought it was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but it wasn't bad. The story is decent and I thought the humor made it work. Probably won't be popular enough to become a major franchise, but I don't expect it to be a flop either. I don't think we'll see the characters in the parks much just because I think they tend to focus the face characters on kids films and this is PG13.
      The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
      -Walt Disney

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

        I just got back from watching it too. Currently on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 25% with about 80 critics reporting in and boy are they being ruthless citing everything from tonal clashes to it just being another "Jack Sparrow" movie. Personally I thought the movie was great fun, so much fun in fact that I didn't once have a critical thought in my head about it. I guess I was too busy being blown away by all the over the top action.

        That being said Disney has the cash and the talent right now to push for a sequel despite the less than rave reviews from the critics. As for an appearance in the parks? Well, in my mind there is only one attraction exciting (and western) enough for a "Depp-utizing" overlay and that's the beloved Thunder Mountain Railroad.

        If they absolutely must capitalize on the franchise and put it in Disneyland then I hope the extent of it is just some new show at the Golden Horseshoe.
        Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

          Originally posted by G24T View Post
          I just got back from watching it too. Currently on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 25% with about 80 critics reporting in and boy are they being ruthless citing everything from tonal clashes to it just being another "Jack Sparrow" movie. Personally I thought the movie was great fun, so much fun in fact that I didn't once have a critical thought in my head about it. I guess I was too busy being blown away by all the over the top action.

          That being said Disney has the cash and the talent right now to push for a sequel despite the less than rave reviews from the critics. As for an appearance in the parks? Well, in my mind there is only one attraction exciting (and western) enough for a "Depp-utizing" overlay and that's the beloved Thunder Mountain Railroad.

          If they absolutely must capitalize on the franchise and put it in Disneyland then I hope the extent of it is just some new show at the Golden Horseshoe.
          I was just thinking as a Meet & Greet. But he would be perfect for a stunt show similar to what Zorro had

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

            Originally posted by Omegadiz View Post
            I was just thinking as a Meet & Greet. But he would be perfect for a stunt show similar to what Zorro had
            That would be neat!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

              Originally posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
              If the audience agrees with the critics, The Lone Ranger will be a lone film with no permanent representation in the parks.
              Yeah, it could be the next John Carter.
              Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.











              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                It's still expected to get 70 mil this weekend, probably will be #2. Issue will be overseas markets. Disney will be lucky to get it's $250 mil production costs back. It'll break the $100mil "hit", but when it costs $250 mil to make...

                Won't be a John Carter, but it won't be a home run fiscal-wise.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                  Originally posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
                  It's still expected to get 70 mil this weekend, probably will be #2. Issue will be overseas markets. Disney will be lucky to get it's $250 mil production costs back. It'll break the $100mil "hit", but when it costs $250 mil to make...

                  Won't be a John Carter, but it won't be a home run fiscal-wise.
                  Yep. And it's not just the quarter-billion dollar production costs -- add marketing and distribution, subtract the exhibitors' take, and this overwrought oater will need more legs than Silver to gallop to profitability.
                  Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-03-2013, 08:59 AM.
                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

                  - Neil Gabler

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                    I'm surprised they didn't haul the big train into Big Thunder Jamboree area. It fits the theme and would be a perfect spot for "limited time magic" meet and greet.

                    DatelineDisney twitter and instagram posted a Frontierland newspaper with Lone Ranger news..... and there's a ton of great merchandise in Pioneer Mercantile. Get it while you can, you might not get another chance at it. Unless it goes into a discount bin.


                    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

                    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                      I like John Carter. If there's nothing else to watch on cable I'll watch it to the end. But, I watched it with no baggage or expectations. The Lone Ranger was my childhood. I watched it daily. But even then I knew it was just an oater of a serial. This new film looks like it could exceed my expectations.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                        Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                        Yeah, it could be the next John Carter.
                        John Carter failed because it wasn't marketed properly and as a result nobody went to see it. A lot of people initially will see The Lone Ranger because it's a movie that attracts audiences just by it's reputation. Success of the film will be based on how the word of mouth reception will be.
                        Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                          Call me crazy if you must, but I think the appearance of characters will be more or less completely based on merch.

                          If the movie does well, there will probably be a face character or two (Tonto might be problematic, who knows), but I don't think it'll be for more than the summer. Unless it grows Cars-like merch legs, I'd be VERY surprised if the movie's more than a "Coming Soon on Disney Blu-Ray and DVD special edition!" blip by September.

                          I don't think it's possible for the movie to be a big enough hit to get long term face characters in the park just for that reason. As noted above, it *IS* PG-13, and if there's no major merch frenzy to fuel sales, I just don't think Disney's going to bother casting and paying actors to portray them for any longer than the time the movie's hot in the public mind.
                          Boggard LIEEEEF!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                            And what a brilliant strategy it is to release a very anti-American, ant-military, anti-white person movie on 4th of July weekend.
                            Just genious!! I guess they thought if it worked for Avatar.......

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Lone Ranger in the parks?

                              Originally posted by Omegadiz View Post
                              Oz didnt have that iconic of a look(and isn't really Disney's per-say).
                              Not that I want either in the park, but Oz about as Disney as the Lone Ranger is.
                              "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X