Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

Latino culture in California is very prevalent - 2/5 of the population is Hispanic, 30% speak Spanish, and California was once part of Mexico. At my old school, we were required to take three years of Spanish from 6th to 8th, signs are written in English and Spanish, etc. Besides the restaurant at
    Pacific Wharf, there's nothing! I say Disney needs to do a better job at including a culture that is brutally important to its past and present.
    Last edited by Chesire; 07-06-2013, 11:24 PM.

• DJM
    replied
    Re: Where is all the Latin presence in California Adventure?

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
    I never said a land to only attract Latinos? What?
    It's very unfortunate that people have misconstrued your original post to make a political/racial/historical point. This Mexican gives your post a stamp of approval! Orale!

Leave a comment:

• DJM
    replied

Originally posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Funny, Olvera Street is what originally popped into my mind when I read this. Some sort of a mini-land inspired by the street would certainly be a more logical fit than a Monsters Inc. sub-land around the area of Hollywood Land and Buena Vista Street, seeing as it's actually a historically significant part of the Los Angeles that BVS and HL both belong to (and since the revival of the street and its transformation into a tourist attraction coincides with the time period that Hollywood Land is supposedly portraying).
    Me too! I thought Olvera street. Disney can set up a small street with awesome Mexican food and knock off toys/purses. lol. :-)

Leave a comment:

• mark
    replied

The Mariachi Divas are great! Do they still perform in DCA?

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
    This is exactly the point I've been sarcastically been making that it appears only a few people posting have picked up on.

The OP is calling for something that was already a part of DCA 1.0 which was a FAILURE!

I'm guessing some here are too young to remember what DCA use to be?

I say don't repeat the mistakes made in the past by trying to be culturally inclusive. Besides it being near impossible to fairly represent all the cultural/ethnic groups properly, it has been proven that the concept is NOT a popular idea for a Disney theme park.
    The OP was suggesting something completely unlike DCA 1.0. To even compare them simply because they both claim to celebrate cultures is ridiculous. DCA 1.0 failed because it was a cheap piece of crap that ended up being an insult to California and the cultures that it represents.

That doesn't mean that there is only one approach to the California theme nor that the theme is or was the failure of the park, because it was not. I remember the old park well, and it basically sucked as a theme park, period. It had too few attractions and the ones it had sucked, not because they were related to California, but because they just plain sucked. It was also ugly, allowed too much of Anaheim in, had no shade, too little greenery, nothing for kids, I could on and on about the idiotic mistakes they made with the park. It was an awful park and all the nonsense about the California theme being the problem is nothing but either lazy thinking or a lack of creative vision.

If Imagineering or management thought that the theme was such a problem then they would have completely abandoned it. Instead, they actually mostly enhanced it by changing the lands into a historic look at California with Disney characters used interspersed into the lands with creative tie-ins that make them fit their location well.

This is exactly what the OP wanted to do as well, create a land or sub-land with some Spanish Revival architecture and a Zorro and Three Caballero's attraction, and I'd assume also a new more appropriate location to house the Mexican Restaurant and Mariachi. They added a back story to Paradise Gardens about a Greek Family that started those restaurants and they serve Greek Food there. That's Phase two, doesn't sound like they're no longer basing anything in the park in ethnic groups or that there's some kind of need to include every ethnicity which is an absurd argument.

Leave a comment:

• gatheringrosebuds
    replied

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
    Well, any excuse to rip out Monstrosity, oops, I mean Monstropolis. I say put in a mini-Olvera Street with a truly excellent Mexican restaurant & some shops (can't have too many shops, they're my favorite 'attractions') & a small shady plaza with mariachis where I can sip an icy margarita and have a meet & greet with 'El Raton Miguelito'.
    Funny, Olvera Street is what originally popped into my mind when I read this. Some sort of a mini-land inspired by the street would certainly be a more logical fit than a Monsters Inc. sub-land around the area of Hollywood Land and Buena Vista Street, seeing as it's actually a historically significant part of the Los Angeles that BVS and HL both belong to (and since the revival of the street and its transformation into a tourist attraction coincides with the time period that Hollywood Land is supposedly portraying).

Leave a comment:

• Chesire
    replied

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
    Yes, popular to the non-natives. This post is arguing for Latin presense to attract Latins. This doesn't really work. It might work to attract the non-Latins though, but DCA 1.0 is well into the past.
    I never said a land to only attract Latinos? What?

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied

Well, any excuse to rip out Monstrosity, oops, I mean Monstropolis. I say put in a mini-Olvera Street with a truly excellent Mexican restaurant & some shops (can't have too many shops, they're my favorite 'attractions') & a small shady plaza with mariachis where I can sip an icy margarita and have a meet & greet with 'El Raton Miguelito'.

Truly, there are so many contributions to the California of today that have been made by so many cultures, each rich in their own traditions and histories. I don't think it would be possible for DCA to include them all. The hispanic & native cultures mentioned throughout this thread. The Chinese that built the railroads. The Cornish (including my father's parents) who came from the UK to work in the mines. The many who came from, well, everywhere during the gold rush & continuing up to today. Each of them have contributed a little bit of the 'home they left behind' to their 'new home'. If the USA is a melting pot then California is the melting pottyist. Wait, that didn't come out right...well, you get what I mean, right?
    Last edited by Stormy; 07-08-2013, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BogLurch
    replied

Y'know, Chase and Short haven't been all that busy of late. You might be able to get the Three Amigos AS the Three Caballeros.

Just take prying the banjo out of Martin's han...

er... you might just want to recast that one. I think he's happier.

Leave a comment:

• KellyMcG86
    replied

Originally posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    Earlier this year
    Yes! That's who I meant! I'll bet they're amigos, too.

Love it!

Leave a comment:

• KellyMcG86
    replied

Three Amigos? You mean Chevy Chase, Martin Short and Steve Martin? :lol:
    Totally meant Three Caballeros, but I'd also be okay with the Three Amigos!! Hahaha

Leave a comment:

• gatheringrosebuds
    replied

Originally posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    Although it wasn't originally part of Mexico, the difference between Mexican culture and American culture is that the native culture (the natives that resided in in N. America) is very prevalent in Mexican culture. Mexicans embrace our native ancestry that runs in our blood, and it's obvious in a lot of our cultural traditions. So when saying it was part of Mexico, it's acknowledging the native presence in the area. Mexico comes from the word "Mexica" which what the people known as the Aztecs, called themselves.

And there IS a difference between Spanish culture, and Mexican culture. Although the European influence is obvious, the differences are also obvious in the ways I stated above. Spanish culture didn't involve any native traditions, in the way the Mexican culture does.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Nikefutbolero. I'd also like to point out that Latino (not "Latin") culture is different from Mexican culture, encompassing the culture of Latin America as a whole (comprised of many nations, each with its own customs and culture) rather than a singular country.

Though Wall to Wall Creep does have a point, the Aztec people were never in California. It appears you were claiming that had some form of history in the state, which isn't true--they primarily lived in what is now central Mexico.

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
    Yes, popular to the non-natives. This post is arguing for Latin presense to attract Latins. This doesn't really work. It might work to attract the non-Latins though, but DCA 1.0 is well into the past.
    No, that is not what this post is arguing for. Chesire was saying that "Latino culture in California is very prevalent" and "brutally important to its past and present." Chesire never suggested that the purpose of said inclusion was to somehow attract more Latino Guests. The suggestion in the post was to somehow include a culture that has been important in shaping the identity of state of California and continues to be very prevalent today--a culture that everyone can enjoy and one that could lend itself to a beautiful area due to its rich and colorful history, while being an area that seemingly compliments the theme of the park suggested by the re-dedication: "...This unique place embraces the richness and diversity of California... Its land, its people, its stories and, above all, the dreamers it continues to inspire." Latino culture is an important part of the "richness and diversity" of California and is intimately intertwined with much of the state's population, making it a seemingly good thematic fit for DCA.

However, I think that Melville summed up the basic problem here:

Originally posted by Meville View Post
    DCA's theme is tough to nail down at the best of times.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G24T
    replied

In the modern Disney tradition of tie-ins you'd get Jesus wandering around Frontierland if some exec today thought "we need to find some way to connect to the Latino guests.. hey, didn't The Lone Ranger feature some kind of Latino?".

Click image for larger version

Name:	a1dd5b3e-259c-496d-9a82-df6428d144ea.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	7351611

Leave a comment:

• StevenW
    replied

Originally posted by The International View Post
    That's funny, all this time I thought Epcot was incredibly popular

Leave a comment:

• The International
    replied

I say don't repeat the mistakes made in the past by trying to be culturally inclusive. Besides it being near impossible to fairly represent all the cultural/ethnic groups properly, it has been proven that the concept is NOT a popular idea for a Disney theme park.
    That's funny, all this time I thought Epcot was incredibly popular

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X