Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The End-of-Summer Disneyland Hotel Trip!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] The End-of-Summer Disneyland Hotel Trip!

This post can be deleted or moved as needed. Its purpose is entirely selfish...

In June, I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona and received generous donations to the Mendez Post-College Fund (read: cold hard cash!). I stashed a bit of money away--but not much, that cash was burning a hole in my pocket before I even opened all the grad cards! I got the AP Summer discount email a week ago and booked a 2 night stay at the Disneyland Hotel at the end of August. I'm intending to surprise my girlfriend with the getaway, but the trip is so FAR AWAY and I'm SO EXCITED that I had to tell someone, anyone!

Sorry for being so corny, but my GF and I have been annual passholders for three years and I've wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel since I was a kid. The F-ed up part of this entire thing is that I can't WAIT to go, but the trip is so late in the summer, and so close to September and the return to school (I applied to grad school) that I don't really know how to feel! I want the date to arrive, yet I want the summer to continue forever!

Anyway I have just under a month to keep this surprise under wraps and it'd really suck if I were to spoil the surprise this far out from the event. I'm going to post in this thread any time I need to chat about the Hotel, to tide me over! Please feel free to post any relevant info, including anything in the Towers that you guys would recommend checking out! We spend a lot of time at Disneyland and California Adventure, so is there anything we should definitely do while we stay at the hotel?

Thanks! And wish me luck!

EDIT:

I have returned! This was such a fun vacation, despite the crazy heatwave we are enduring in SoCal...

Speaking of SoCal, I will explain my distance from Disneyland through CA freeway speak. I took the long way so I could take the carpool lane exit to Disney Way. The 210 to the 605 to the 5. My girlfriend thought we were going to San Diego and was very excited when I took the Disney Way exit. She was entirely surprised and even shed a few happy tears!

We checked in and went to our room on the 4th floor of Adventure and enjoyed our view of the E-Ticket pool:

At this point, it was 4pm and about 99 degrees outside but didn't let the heat get to us! We rode CA Screamin' and a few other rides until we decided to get some drinks from Trader Sam's. The drinks were so great! And strong! We went upstairs to go to bed for the Magic Morning at CA Adventure Wednesday morning.

We waited in line for Radiator Springs Racers at 8:00 and the ride broke down at about 8:35. We went and spent the rest of the hour waiting in line for a FastPasses:

Wednesday was a lot of fun! We ate French toast at Tangaroa Terrace. It was SO GOOD! Great tip! We went to Disneyland but the heat was crazy. We went swimming and then went to dinner at Carthay Circle, using the free prix fixe World of Color passes we got through the Hotel. Great dinner!

Here we are blinded by the setting sun:

It finally cooled off just as we finished dinner. We watched the fireworks and I was blown away when Dumbo flew over the castle. It was so cool. We avoided the masses and rode Star Tours just before the park closed.

Most of the rides were walk-on the entire trip. I'm guessing it had to do with the heat, but Space Mountain, Pirates, Star Tours, ToT, CA Screamin' and others all had no or low wait times. It was really great. Peter Pan, of all the rides, had the longest wait at 30 mins. It nearly broke us. It was like 100 degrees in that tiny line. Almost unbearable.

They offered us another night and almost booked it, but decided against it. We had crossed everything off the list: Dole Whips, drinks from Trader Sam's, enjoying the stuff in the lobbies, the Coffee House, french toast, and dinner at Carthay!

There are so many little moments that I can't really describe in a Trip Report. Really fun people in line, at Downtown Disney, at the pools and around the hotel. It was a great first trip to the Hotel. We will be back!

Last edited by Mendez; 08-30-2013, 03:03 PM.

Re: The End-of-Summer Disneyland Hotel Trip!

I've never stayed at the DL hotel, but I've discovered in this past year that one of my absolute favorite things to do on every trip to the parks is to relax and enjoy a drink at Trader Sam's. I'd recommend checking it out at least once while you're there, especially since it's right on hotel property!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Definitely hit Trader Sam's, a warm summer evening, great music, and the drinks are great as well. Also, if it's your first time inside of the Disneyland Hotel, make sure that you check out the memorabilia in the main building. My favorite is Cascade Falls, definitely something you won't want to miss while you are there. French toast at the Tangaroa Terrace is to die for if you are a breakfast lover. You will want to check out all of the towers, they each have a different theme and there are some really neat touches with them. Above all else, play with the headboard in your room, they are so cool!

Comment

Cool! OK Trader Sam's it is. Glad we can drink and go to our room. No risk of getting home from a bar!

My GF loves French toast! This is great!

Comment

Originally posted by Mendez View Post
          My GF loves French toast! This is great!
          When I say the French Toast is to die for, I truly mean it. It has this amazing caramel sauce on it that has a hint of banana in it, it's a warm, gooey sauce that is a million times better than syrup, then they put a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top of it. It's unlike French Toast that I have ever experienced anywhere else. It's under $10 a person as well which makes it pretty affordable for just about anyone. They also make these cinnamon oatmeal cakes that are really good, I'm not an oatmeal fan, but even I enjoy them.

Comment

I didn't know about the french toast, so I'm adding that to my list for our next trip. Yay I love advice/tip threads!!

I have not personally been to steakhouse 55, but I have heard quite a few good reviews on it. I believe it's located at the hotel (I could be wrong!).

Pleeeeease post a TR about your experience!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
            KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

Hmmmm I was looking at Steakhouse 55. According to the AP deal, we each get one meal comp'd if we eat at one of three restaurants in CA Adventure plus tickets to World of Color. Carthay Circle is included in the offer, so I was thinking of eating there for a meal. Unless Ariel's Grotto or Wine Country Trattoria are better options.

I'll write a TR (in a month! Haha!) for sure! I've never written one or read one. I have time to learn haha!

Comment

I hope you get a room with a view. Nothing wrong about staying in your room, ordering room service, watch some television and then hitting the pool. Then you and your girlfriend can take in the Park during the evening.
                I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I hope too! Well, I didn't really think about it when I made the reservation, to be honest. I knew you could "request" a room or a tower, but that there isn't any guarantee that they'd honor it. Is it common that they honor most requests, but won't guarantee anything in case it can't be done?

Comment

This is such a cute thread!!

johnlaw, thanks for the french toast info! Adding it to my trip plans
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

YES! Johnlaw, the french toast info is pretty invaluable. That's exactly the type of info I need.

So I'm thinking of adding some more "mystery" to the trip. I will have to tell her to pack and she'll have to know it will be an overnight stay somewhere. I will have to let her know ahead of time if she needs to adjust her work schedule. If we jump on the 57 freeway, she'll know we're headed to Disneyland 30 minutes out! So I'm thinking of taking the 91 or the 5 to get there, just to make it seem like we're going to up north or to the beach.

This thread is already working! Look, it's finally August! We're almost there! :thumbup:

Comment

Have a great time! We did the Disneyland Hotel for the last week in August last summer and it was a great experience. It was still extremely busy (at the pool area) on the Sunday when we showed up but the rest of the week was a breeze. We requested a quiet room in the Fantasy Tower and we got it. It worked out perfect as we got a room on the north/east side of the tower with a sweet fireworks view! (our kids were pooped at night so that was our only option to see them).

The great thing about staying there at the end of the summer is that it's far less busy. No crowds (except in Carsland of course). On our last night we got a note under our door stating that we could stay extra nights for a discount. If I recall correctly it was about 1/2 price... so we took them up on it and stayed an extra night!

Comment

Pay extra for concierge or E Ticket experience. To watch the fireworks show from the penthouse is an amazing experience. They also pipe in the soundtrack so you get the whole experience. Of course, the goodies to eat up there are also a nice feature. It's expensive but something you should do once in your life.
                          sigpicwww.magicalhotel.com

Comment

Cool! Oldhotelguy is here! I was checking out your website and books the other night! Maybe not on this trip, since this stay will only be for 2 nights, but I certainly want to stay at the Hotel in style one day. I'm saving some cash for the trip, and I may even try to get a third night...we'll see.

BTW, I'm slightly disappointed that none of the original Wrather Disneyland Hotel stands, but I'll live with the memorabilia in the lobbies...

Comment

Originally posted by Mendez View Post

BTW, I'm slightly disappointed that none of the original Wrather Disneyland Hotel stands, but I'll live with the memorabilia in the lobbies...
                              I am trying to change that! If not buildings, then pictures or other historical items.
                              sigpicwww.magicalhotel.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X