A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarines.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nikefutbolero
    Banned User
    • Jul 2012

[Other] A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarines.

They needs to do a grand scale redo of Tomorrowland, and lets face it, autopia is outdated and cars aren't the future anymore. The subs must go to, since they aren't really a high demand ride and take up lots of space just as Autopia does. With those two wiped out, and either the removal of Innoventions or repurposing it, will leave TDA with A LOT of space to work with. Then they could really do a nice redo of Tomorrowland.
  • gatheringrosebuds
    ~
    • Aug 2012

Re: A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarine

I'm not opposed to the idea (if there was a brilliant concept of how to utilize the area that actually enhanced Tomorrowland's theme, I'd be on board), but I don't think their removal is necessary to better Tomorrowland--I'd personally rather see BLAB, Innoventions, and Captain EO addressed first.

Regarding the subs, I'm not a fan of the current Nemo overlay, but the motion of the subs gives Tomorrowland needed kinetic energy and I like the presence of the lagoon in an otherwise largely urban and concrete land. My main complaint is that the current story of the subs does nothing to enhance the land's theme and ultimately fails to offer us anything of substance. The potential is there--in the form of a submarine-exploration of the ocean floor, its bizarre creatures, and what man find discover in the darkest depths of the sea (it's been said we know more about the surface of the moon than we do the bottom of the ocean)--it's just a question of actually utilizing that potential.

I'm definitely less of a fan of Autopia (at least, in how its sheer existence benefits the area, because unlike the submarines, I don't think the presence of the attraction adds anything substantial to aesthetics or the general experience of the land) but I do like that the setting, again, gives us something different from the rest of Tomorrowland in its opportunity to drive around outside and in its creation of an experience that's more familiar and grounded in our notion of reality than intergalactic space travel (granted, that's because the premise of the current attraction is a part of today's reality, but I'm more or less talking about the bare bone of the concept--driving around in a vehicle to experience the future of car travel--not the attraction's current form). Ideally, I think the addition of several showrooms depicting different settings in a futuristic city could easily breathe new life into the attraction while embracing both of those qualities. And though I'm not sure how feasible it would be to change from the current vehicles to electric models, if that could be possible, it would be a way to incorporate existing technology that has yet to be widely integrated into our reality (like many of the Tomorrowland's transportation-themed attractions--the PM, Monorail, etc.), while the various show scenes could depict futuristic ideas and innovations that our further out of immediate grasp, so that once the idea of an electric car isn't relevant to our idea of tomorrow, the attraction would still hold its own.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 08-07-2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• DLR159
      dl159
      • Sep 2009

Re: A whole Tomorrowland redo should include the removal of Autopia and the Submarine

Even if they took out the subs and Autopia, the monorail tracks would still be there to limit the extra land. The only way to gain this land would be to take the monorail entirely out of Disneyland.

Comment

• LordVader
        Heavy Breather
        • Jun 2012

I want the Subs to stay. I have two options of how to keep it without bulldozing it.

1. Theme it to 20K or something else that'll fit into Fantasyland
        2. Make it a futuristic dive of the sea bottom.
        sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

• toonaspie
          Nutty about Disney parks
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by LordVader View Post
          I want the Subs to stay. I have two options of how to keep it without bulldozing it.

1. Theme it to 20K or something else that'll fit into Fantasyland
          2. Make it a futuristic dive of the sea bottom.
          I think Disney will probably make it The Little Mermaid themed before those two ideas are ever considered.

Comment

• greenalfonzo
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2011

Autopia should go - it takes up so much space. The monorail tracks could probably be worked around, but the people mover tracks would probably have to go as well if you were going to really build new attractions and show buildings in that area.
            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

• DrFink
              The doctor is in
              • Aug 2012

The subs aren't going to be rethemed anytime soon. Finding Nemo is still a popular movie and a sequel is coming in 2 years. Not to mention the refurb of the subs is only like 6 years old. I don't like the subs but that is just fact.
              Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

• MANEATINGWREATH
                I'm a Lutheran
                • Aug 2008

Autopia, the Subs, and the Motorboat area are all connected via Nemo's show building, so if one goes, the others will follow; but as mentioned before, the monorail tracks would get in the way. Just a few general ideas:

- Figure out someway to make Autopia more futuristic and less...modern? If there was some kind of way to make them seem like "hover cars," that would be fantastic. The only problem I'd see coming from that is constant breakdowns and maintenance issues. Perhaps cars like the ones in Hong Kong's Autopia, albeit given more futuristic-looking appearances, and the ability to drive on their own; an idea that is actually being tinkered with by real-life scientists, and from what I hear, has been a success. The currently-overgrown landscape of the track could be turned into a pristine, Utopian chunk of wilderness and city, complete with crystal-clear-blue bodies of water, waterfalls, huge trees, luscious greenery, and some curvy, pure silver and white buildings.

- I'm almost certain that the Nemo theme will haunt the subs for a many years, especially with the upcoming release of Finding Dory. My ideal idea would be to re-theme the ride to some future real estate corporation advertising their new underwater tract homes. Riders are put in the position of potential buyers, graciously sent for free to visit the houses. However, a freak surface storm forces subs to dive deeper than usual, sending them into a bizarre world of aquatic beasts and races, including mermaids, the classic sea serpent, and amphibious humanoid people lurking among the ruins of Atlantis. Eventually, the subs do make it to the tract homes. As the subs approach, a huge whale appears out of nowhere and swallows the houses, thus making the tour completely pointless.

- The Motorboat area...well, this is going to be the most challenging part. For starters, the parade route is about twenty feet away, and from experience that I'm sure we have ALL experienced, it gets CROWDED over there. Adding a major new attraction would creature further congestion in an already-congested area. So, I think it'd be best to leave it a part of Fantasyland, allowing more obscure characters to do meet-n-greets. Some of my best childhood memories come from meeting obscure characters in that spot, including Phil, Mushu, Mulan, Genie, and others. Wow, that was a great trip haha. Anyways, if they were to clear-up the water, put in some fountains, and make a rather pleasant off-the-beaten-path kind of area down by the waterside, that'd be great...especially if they could throw in some details related to the Matterhorn.
                "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

• jasmineray
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2012

These attractions don't need to go. Update Autopia already and it can stay.
                  Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

• BogLurch
                    Inactive
                    • Jun 2005

Good to read your opinion on the matter - mine's the opposite. I think they both could be valid and valuable pieces of nearly any new Tomorrowland, and are baseline enough attractions that should the PTB decide could be rethemed for more fantasy (arguably Nemo's already there).
                    Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

• Mark Twain
                      Disney Philosopher
                      • Jul 2010

Althought autopia is no longer future and has no connection to tommorowland in theme, it is extremely valuable to little kids. When I was young looking forward to driving a car was huge. They should have kept Fantasyland autopia and got rid of tommorowland autopia.

The same could be said of the subs.

Remeber as we get older, some things become less interesting, but to little kids it's a ne and extremely exciting. I don't want to steal the joy they have experiencing these new adventures.
                      "These are a few of my favorite things"

sigpic

Comment

• choco choco
                        MiceChatter
                        • May 2011

Tomorrowland doesn't need to get any bigger. It has more and more varied attractions than any other land in the park save for Fantasyland.

Comment

• chesirecat
                          Banned User
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                          The subs aren't going to be rethemed anytime soon. Finding Nemo is still a popular movie and a sequel is coming in 2 years. Not to mention the refurb of the subs is only like 6 years old. I don't like the subs but that is just fact.
                          Agree^

Realistically, the Nemo Subs won't be going anywhere for a long time. The attraction hasn't had a major refurb since it opened, probably because for families with little kids it's a must see attraction.

There was much ado about the cost of projector bulbs, well, they now have LED projectors which don't have a bulb, but an LED light source which lasts 10 to 25 years . . . longer than the life of the projector. The subs are electric, and therefore the costs of running the attraction are a lot lower. Disney invested the money to make a cleaner attraction, which is much easier to maintain with current technology.

Nemo is Pixar's #1 grossing film of all time when you look at adjusted box office. Nemo 2 will be coming, and that will provide interest in the attraction for the next decade as you'll have the DVD out there, who knows, they might do a Nemo 3 too.

A lot of little kids are really blown away by the subs, I think it is better to keep the subs in place and let them have that experience.

Comment

• frollofan
                            ********ter
                            • Mar 2010

I say keep them, but move the Autopia station to Fantasyland and retheme the cars to look whimsical. The current Autopia queue can be demolished to make way for an expansion zone for a new E-ticket. The subs should also be kept, but remove Nemo and replace it with a scientific underwater exploration in the dark depths of the ocean, not unlike the original.

Comment

• BogLurch
                              Inactive
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by frollofan View Post
                              I say keep them, but move the Autopia station to Fantasyland and retheme the cars to look whimsical. The current Autopia queue can be demolished to make way for an expansion zone for a new E-ticket. The subs should also be kept, but remove Nemo and replace it with a scientific underwater exploration in the dark depths of the ocean, not unlike the original.
                              Talking this topic with a friend of mine last night and we got off on an "alien exploration" tangent.

Keep the track and make it an exploration of the oceans of an alien world. You could even keep the Nemo screens - just put something alien on... er...

Maybe that's what they already have. Talking fish with forward facing eyes sound pretty alien to me. Never mind.

Comment

• chesirecat
                                Banned User
                                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Mark Twain View Post
                                Althought autopia is no longer future and has no connection to tommorowland in theme, it is extremely valuable to little kids. When I was young looking forward to driving a car was huge. They should have kept Fantasyland autopia and got rid of tommorowland autopia.
                                Agree. The Autopia is so iconic, and popular, it has a fast pass too. But I think it does need an upgrade. Hong Kong has an electric version of the Autopia, the only reason Disney kept the gas guzzlers is the sponsorship with Chevron. Now that that is gone, I think it is time to upgrade the Autopia to an electric version, perhaps with new ride effects and a whole new theme. The attraction has a high hourly ride capacity as it loads a lot of guests at once.

Yeah, it is "just a go-cart" ride, but you've got the view of the Matterhorn, great landscaping . . . so much could be done to plus this attraction . . .

Comment

• Dr Tomorrow
                                  Sock Puppet
                                  • Aug 2013

I agree. It's high time to redo that whole area. The Subs, Autopia, Motor boat lagoon, skyway building, and Innoventions are taking up way too much space.

Comment

• BogLurch
                                    Inactive
                                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Dr Tomorrow View Post
                                    I agree. It's high time to redo that whole area. The Subs, Autopia, Motor boat lagoon, skyway building, and Innoventions are taking up way too much space.
                                    So basically level the park and rebuild it? EVERYTHING takes up space.

Comment

• Dr Tomorrow
                                      Sock Puppet
                                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
                                      So basically level the park and rebuild it? EVERYTHING takes up space.
                                      No just the Tomorrowland part

Comment

• sleepyjeff
                                        Spree Candy
                                        • Jan 2005

Subs = Voyage to Naboo

Autopia = Land Speeder
                                        Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X