This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Disney/Anaheim/Musk Hyperloop Demo

By now, I'm sure most people here have heard of Elon Musk's (PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla) proposal to build an ultra-highspeed tube between LA and SF (for a mere $6 billion) at budget ticket prices ($20 one way) for a 35 minute trip. Obviously, there are technical issues, but beyond that, there are environmental, right of way and political issues, not to mention no easy way to demonstrate the technology.

Idea: Have Musk put his money where his idea is (he put in $100 million to start SpaceX), have Disney and Anaheim contribute, and build a low-speed demonstration/technology proving (as much as possible given the low-speed) and "excitement-generating" project connecting Downtown Disney, the Convention Center, GardenWalk/Third Park and Angels Stadium/Artic.

Remember, I'm talking about a demo project, an attraction, like the Monorail (which itself is a demo, not a real transportation system) that theoretically wouldn't cost that much. Musk estimates the 350 mile LA-SF line will cost only $6 billion. So how much for a 5 mile line? Even if Musk's numbers are off by a factor of 2 or 3, we're still talking in the $200 million range. So Musk puts in $100 million, Disney and Anaheim contribute $50 million each and they build a project that would generate a lot of publicity and excitement and Musk gets a demo project to "sell" to California for his actual LA-SF project.

Re: Disney/Anaheim/Musk Hyperloop Demo

I heard about the project and I do hope it is worked on. Less expensive and way faster than the Light Rail we have planned so far. And Disneyland would be the perfect place to test it. For one thing, Tomorrowland used to host many different ideas for transportation of the future, and this is technically the future of transportation. And it would be a perfect way to transport guests to and from LAX Airport. Think about it, a drive from L.A. to Disneyland is roughly 30-40 minutes, and the high speed tube would most certainly cut that travel time in half. And its been said cars can be transported via the tube as well. So visitors could rent a car at LAX, still go to Disney, and travel back using a minimal amount of gas. It's all around just a perfect idea that I hope is expended upon.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

That will definitely not happen in the next few years. Disney recently spent a ton of money acquiring LucasFilm, not to mention building Cars Land and two new cruise ships. Investors right now want Disney to sit back and start raking in the profits from all of that investment, not spend more money on something else. The only way I see this getting built at all would be if a conglomerate of Vegas hotels (like MGMMirage) agreed to pay for the whole thing to go from LA to Vegas.
      Disneyland Cast Member
      Outdoor Vending
      1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
        That will definitely not happen in the next few years. Disney recently spent a ton of money acquiring LucasFilm, not to mention building Cars Land and two new cruise ships. Investors right now want Disney to sit back and start raking in the profits from all of that investment, not spend more money on something else. The only way I see this getting built at all would be if a conglomerate of Vegas hotels (like MGMMirage) agreed to pay for the whole thing to go from LA to Vegas.
        Additionally, if TDA's going to stockpile cash for *anything* speculative right now, it's going to be for response projects to Wizarding World going in up the freeway.

Also, small change routes like LA/Anaheim wouldn't be the "showcase". The short distances involved would make it difficult to show off the higher speeds the tubes are hopefully going to be capable of, and the amount of public transit options at what would have to be a radically lower price removes some of the economic incentive.
        Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

I love the idea of Disney pioneering the Hyperloop I think it's just the type of thing Walt would have done with his love of trains and transport.

In Japan I've read they are going to open their maglev train test track to the public to get people used to this type of travel so a similar thing involving Disney would be a great way to put people's fears at ease.

Saying that Walt Disney World might be a better fit for the technology. The size of the resort means that the Hyperloop could have a test track entirely on the property which would remove right of way issues. Having a loop say fromtheMagic Kingdon area to Animal Kingdon would be a great fun way to get people involved in this technology of the future. It's just a pity that the managers of today are to risk adverse to do anything other that could be conceived as futuristic

Comment

if not this, bring in elon musk & some of his technology to reinvigorate tomorrowland. not quite sure what he could do but if anyone can come up with something progressive he's the guy. maybe a people mover replacement? i've read that he's a fan of walt so it may be something he'd be interested in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X