Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

    I want to know if I'm eligible for a Guest Assistance Card because I suffer from panic attacks and melissophobia?

    For those who may not know, Melissophobia is a severe phobia of bees. I avoid going to Disney when it's really hot, because bees are everywhere. When I'm walking in the park and there are bees, I know I can always run away from them. But in line, I feel trapped. It's painful and mental torture for me to be in line when bees are flying near me. When a bee crosses my path, I'll run away even if it means losing my spot in line - I'm one of those people you may have seen on TV with the unreasonable phobias. I'm deeply DEEPLY terrified of them.

    And as for the panic attacks, it's pretty much self explanatory - It's a separate issue not due to bees.

    I noticed certain rides have a wait area thats away from the trees and flowers and that would really help me in terms of bees. And of course, it would calm my panic attacks too.

    If anyone has obtained a card with a panic attack or Melissophobia, please let me know.

    If I need a doctors note, I could get one. I'm taking medication for my panic attacks, I could bring my prescription bottle if necessary.

  • #2
    Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

    Ummm...I personally don't think this qualifies for a GAC. I have panic attacks and a severe bird phobia (like you, have gone running away screaming, break down in tears, and its worse when I am trapped). There are many more birds than bees at the park. I think the GAC should be for only those who truly need it. Also, who is to say that the spot where you wait for gAC even is free of bees.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

      i was wondering the same thing, i get anxiety attacks and my blood pressure will shoot up!!!! and i will get shaky and i can literally hear my heart pounding in my ears. and this just started to happen to me recently, and i wanted to know if im eligible
      To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME šoš
      -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

        Originally posted by PrincessLizz View Post
        i was wondering the same thing, i get anxiety attacks and my blood pressure will shoot up!!!! and i will get shaky and i can literally hear my heart pounding in my ears. and this just started to happen to me recently, and i wanted to know if im eligible
        It's really horrible to suffer from it, right?

        I've read some people have obtained it with our condition but I'm not sure if it's still eligible due to changes in the criteria or so I've read.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

          You could always ask at City Hall. Tell them what your challenge is and see what they have to say. If what you need is an indoor waiting area (free of bees) they could probably arrange that but on some rides (I'm thinking of RSR) the queue is all outdoors and even a GAC might not help.
          Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

            Golly! I am Dobby, a trained Psychiatric Service Dog who helps my human, Lynne, with her panic attacks!

            My human wants me to help you folks, too. She wants to know, "Are you visiting solo or with groups?"

            And here are some kisses. - XXXXXXX
            "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

              People can be very critical of non physical issues, but your best bet is to ignore the negative comments you will get here and go to city hall and explain your issue. They will determine how to best handle your particular needs and give you the appropriate card, same as anyone who goes and explains their physical limitations.
              Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                Originally posted by CassiefRN View Post
                People can be very critical of non physical issues, but your best bet is to ignore the negative comments you will get here and go to city hall and explain your issue. They will determine how to best handle your particular needs and give you the appropriate card, same as anyone who goes and explains their physical limitations.
                Thank you Cassie. I appreciate the advice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                  Heck, I've heard of people getting GACs for being lactose intolerant, so I think your odds are pretty good!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                    Personally, I don't feel Disney should be giving special consideration to guests who suffer from irrational fears and it is this kind of thing that has caused the abuse and negative feelings toward GAP.

                    Just like someone who has a fear of airplane flying who either has to face that fear or find another way to travel, you are going to have to deal with yours or avoid outdoor activities that are near flowered vegetation. Honey bees are a natural part of nature and life and provide great benefits, not harm to humans.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                      Originally posted by Mortgageman View Post
                      Personally, I don't feel Disney should be giving special consideration to guests who suffer from irrational fears and it is this kind of thing that has caused the abuse and negative feelings toward GAP.

                      Just like someone who has a fear of airplane flying who either has to face that fear or find another way to travel, you are going to have to deal with yours or avoid outdoor activities that are near flowered vegetation. Honey bees are a natural part of nature and life and provide great benefits, not harm to humans.
                      well put

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                        I just have a horrific fear of queues and long wait times. Can I get a GAC?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                          If there's a possibility of your panic attacks becoming a disturbance to other guests, I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                            As many others have said, just see City Hall at Disneyland or the Chamber of Commerce in DCA, hopefully they can find a solution to your problems. Oh, and welcome to MiceChat!
                            All right, listen! I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice. Here comes the smolder.


                            DLR Annual Passholder, Disney nerd
                            Trip Reports:
                            From California to Walt Disney World: The Road to Orlando (Coming soon)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Guest Assistance Card for Panic Attacks and Melissophobia?

                              It's not just in the lines where you have to worry about bees. On iasw, where the boats line up outside as they approach the exit, there are often bees in the flowers that are planted right next to the boats. So while a GAC may or may not help you avoid bees while waiting in lines, there is no way this can help you while actually on a ride.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X