• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caseyj
    New MiceChatter
    • Apr 2013

[Question] Tinkberbell Half Marathon/10k

After seeing so much this weekend about the Disneyland races, I am considering doing a Run Disney event (am now training for my first 10K). I doubt I will do the Tinkerbell this January, but maybe 2015. Some questions:

- How many men race? My husband would likely join me.
    - How crowded are the parks on the day of/day after the races?
    - Does the Tinkerbell 10k have a similar course route as the Disneyland 10k? My whole goal is to run through the parks.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!
  • swampymarsh
    Under that tree again!
    • Nov 2011

Re: Tinkberbell Half Marathon/10k

I don't know, several thousands.
    Not a lot worse. Many race and leave, only some combine it with a park visit.
    Yes both races are similar.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• KellyMcG86
      Selfie Expert
      • Sep 2012

I think the registration for the upcoming Tinkerbell race is closed, so you have plenty of time to train! I might have to join you for the 2015 one.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
      KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

• simaand
        New ********ter
        • Nov 2009

5K is still open

Comment

• simaand
          New ********ter
          • Nov 2009

BTW, I'm registered for the Tinker Bell Half. Was kinda worried that it would be a woman only race until i read the FAQ and it clearly states that men are encouraged to join. I would do a 5K if all your interested is running through the parks. I just finished a 5K this past weekend at the Disneyland resort and loved it.... Only downside is you get a plastic medallion not a metal one

Comment

• Malina
            MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

I did the Tink 5K last year (there was no 10K).

1. There are plenty of men. In the 5K I saw a lot of families and male-female couples who were racing together. Some guys got into the act with costumes (I saw a bunch of Peter Pans and IIRC one Hook) and many didn't.

2. I can't speak for the day after but whenever I've been at the parks the day before the races it's been crowded. I think that would probably be more spread out because they have the 5, 10 and half on three different days this time. On the other hand the park crowds do seem to thin out at night - when I was there this past Friday it seemed as though a lot of 5s and 10s went home early to rest.

3. Yes. These are the maps for the latest runs at Disneyland. If you are doing the half-marathon, a lot of it is outside of the park in Anaheim. The 10K this time did go out of the parks for about a mile and a half. However if you're in the 5K or 10K you should be spending most of your time in Disneyland and DCA (including a lot of peeks backstage!).

Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

• KellyMcG86
              Selfie Expert
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by simaand View Post
              5K is still open
              SO tempting! Don't know if I could do it 4 weeks after delivering, though, considering I can't even run a mile straight lol

Edit: I just checked the site, and the 10k and 5k are still available for 2014! Sorry for my earlier mis-information!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
              KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

• bettiebloodshed
                New MiceChatter
                • Aug 2013

I've just decided to compete in the 10k--my first one! Totally excited about this; figured it's a great goal to set for getting in shape. I had a question--how prevelant are costumes and the like?

Comment

• swampymarsh
                  Under that tree again!
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by bettiebloodshed View Post
                  I've just decided to compete in the 10k--my first one! Totally excited about this; figured it's a great goal to set for getting in shape. I had a question--how prevelant are costumes and the like?
                  Costumes are not super common but you almost always see someone in one, since there are at least dozens of people or hundreds around you. You will see lots of people in tutus, wigs, themed shirts, and some in makeup and costume clothing. So if you want do a like costume or go all out. Just remember you have to run in it, so make sure it fits well to move in, and won't make you too hot.

Not everyone is running this like a serious race, many are runners doing it for fun, and many just for the fun Disney experience.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• Jungle.Indy.Girl
                    once a Skip always a Skip
                    • Mar 2010

I'm signed up for the 10k as well, also my first.

Comment

• bettiebloodshed
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2013

Yeah I'm mainly doing it for fun--I'm a horrible runner, but can at least make the minute limit set for each mile. And thanks for the info--I'll definitely whip something up!

Comment

• Wreckless Abrandon
                        Workin to live,lovin life
                        • May 2008

I did the Disneyland 10k in an Aladdin Costume, but I would have to say that I'd think twice personally about doing it again in costume. The wig is super hot (I don't have long hair), and the materials I chose for Halloween back in 2009 absorb moisture! Like others have said, just make sure your costume is something you'd be able to at least put up with for 90 mins to 3 hours depending on your pace/ race.

Race weekends aren't extremely packed in the parks since most AP's are blocked anyway. Personally, I was too exhausted to go through the parks, so I'm ok with not going since I live relatively close.

Just have fun and stay hydrated!

Comment

• Mark Twain
                          Disney Philosopher
                          • Jul 2010

All I know was it was really hot both days and the EMT's were really buzy. But every one I talked to said they had loads of fun.
                          "These are a few of my favorite things"

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X