This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dissagree, DLR is pulling in out of state visitors

it's simply that Disneyland is just one stop of many when visiting California right now and only recently have they made an effort to change that

however that effort hasn't been well advertised so awareness is slowly building and so the attendence and treatment of it as a multistay resort has only slowly been on the rise as people visit only to be suprised at seeing yet another park right next door

if Disneylands market keeps growing I think Disneyland will grow and that the WDW situation would be treated in a different manner
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
      if Disneylands market keeps growing I think Disneyland will grow and that the WDW situation would be treated in a different manner
      What different manner? 20,000 hotel rooms, 4 parks, 3 water parks, DQuest, Huge DTD..... That takes NATIONAL advertising. They can't just slice off everything West of Texas for DIsneyland or they'll fail to fill WDW!

I say again.... Growth of DLR is dependant on their ability to draw out-of-towners without taking anyone from WDW. They HAVE to look south of San Diego. Expect more and more spanish speaking CMs and signage!

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
        What different manner? 20,000 hotel rooms, 4 parks, 3 water parks, DQuest, Huge DTD..... That takes NATIONAL advertising. They can't just slice off everything West of Texas for DIsneyland or they'll fail to fill WDW!

I say again.... Growth of DLR is dependant on their ability to draw out-of-towners without taking anyone from WDW. They HAVE to look south of San Diego. Expect more and more spanish speaking CMs and signage!
        however DL and WDW are almost seperate companies (with the way Disney is structured now they pretty much are and imagineering is sperate from the parks as well), they could easily phase in and out marketing for middle america if they really wanted to

WDW I doubt would suffer much from the west coast, not that many people travel out that far often anyways, WDW could easily compensate by drawing from it's own costal areas, islands mexico even as well as what you said before, Europe

WDW doesn't have to stop advertising across the states (as I'm sure you get WDW ads in Cali even) but DLR should spread out it's own advertising so that they actualy reach my area (the only advertisement that ever reached me was the very vague "see the park next to disneyland" ad back when DCA first opend)

Comment

If you don't cound the support/backstage areas(like TDA) and such the Third Gate area is almost as big as Disneyland itself. Using a basement(utilidors) system for support/backstage the third gate could be a full Disney Theme Park without the addition of extra land
          Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
            If you don't cound the support/backstage areas(like TDA) and such the Third Gate area is almost as big as Disneyland itself. Using a basement(utilidors) system for support/backstage the third gate could be a full Disney Theme Park without the addition of extra land
            see the problem is that the third gate land as a WHOLE is close to 90 acres (including the cast member lot)

if you take away the cast member parking then your looking at something that's closer to 60 acres that's only 5 acres more then DCA when it first opend

and going beyond that Utilidors are awfuly darn expensive and such

I don't think it would need another gaint set of management buildings but it would need backstage areas for parades and reparing ride vehicles and other such functions

Disney needs all the extra land it can get I can't see them building a full day park on 60 acres, especialy not 60 acres that has housing development running up it's armpits (pardon my analogy)

Comment

however DL and WDW are almost seperate companies (with the way Disney is structured now they pretty much are and imagineering is sperate from the parks as well), they could easily phase in and out marketing for middle america if they really wanted to
              Sure.... IF they want to steal guests from WDW, sending them to DL instead.... Which is the last thing they want to do.[/QUOTE]

Agree... But Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Utah.... ALL get hit HARD with WDW advertising. And that is how WDW is able to pull 6 million out-of-state visitors a year, staying 6-7 days each, making up a huge chunk of WDW 48 million guest-days.

Phase in DLR advertising in the mid-west, and let's say 1 million people go to DLR istead of WDW.... Then WDW loses 6 million visitor-days and DLR gains 2 million visitor days. WDW losses 4 million hotel-nights and the cheap hotels across the street from DL get 2 million guest nights.

WDW could easily compensate by drawing from it's own costal areas, islands mexico even as well as what you said before, Europe
              Other than Mexico, they're already hitting those areas very hard.... This is driving the source of their 6 million visitors staying a week each. They can't hit them harder.

DLR should spread out it's own advertising so that they actualy reach my area (the only advertisement that ever reached me was the very vague "see the park next to disneyland" ad back when DCA first opend)
              That is the last thing DisCo wants to do. They DO NOT want you going to DLR and giving them $300 when you would have gone to WDW and gave them $1000.

For DLR to grow, it MUST do so without stealing ANY of WDW guests... Otherwise, it is a waste of money and DisCo isn't going to do it.

Comment

Wow I opened up a can of worms just posting a simple picture with some far basic notions on where land should be scooped up for a park I doubt will see the light of day for over 10 years.

I agree with Jspider about creating a resort experiance over a one stop shop on a breeze through tour of Southern California. Disneyland should be a destination seperate from LA or SD- not a middle ground.

Having lived there for 4 years, my thoughts are simple. That area was poorly developed to begin with but new redevelopment is bringing better quality business to the area. That means better jobs, schools, transportation,etc. If Disney is the driving force behind this by creating a more inclusive city than the Florida park then I agree.

As part of the resort atmosphere that lacks in the Florida park, I believe it is essential to show vistors the wide array of entertainment option available to them in Anaheim. It houses a major league baseball team, a hockey stadium and a concert hall within 2 or 3 miles of the park. I know Eisner is selling off the Angels but I have always believed an expansive monorail system throughout Anaheim with the expansion of the parks would prove to be a attractive vacation destination beyond what it is now.

Replacing old businesses, broken hotels and tourist dives with golf course, spas, theme parks, restraunts and shopping is the key to creating an inclusive tourist destination and its only a matter of time before Anaheim becomes that. In 25 years when we celebrate the 75 anniversary I suspect the landscape of that aerial photo will look far different and more appealing.

If you build it...they will come...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X