This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Backpack or not?

I haven't been to DLR in YEARS and never as an adult with kids. I am torn on wearing a backpack into the parks or just using a purse. I am afraid it will be a pain getting on and off rides with it. My kids are older so need for diapers or anything. We each have a water bottle with a strap and both of them will be carrying a small backpack for their snacks etc. Anyone have any advice?

Re: Backpack or not?

It'll be in your way some of the time, some rides will be unable to accomodate it if you go over a "reasonable" (think light daypack) size, and generally unless you're used to carrying it all day you might want to consider a locker or just carrying less.

My experiences at least. There's just a point past which the straps cut in no matter how the pack is angled, where I really just start pondering why I bothered with it every time.
    Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

If you're carrying a normal backpack you should be fine- I've done that. Just be aware that on some rides (such as the roller coasters) you will need to put it under your feet and legs and loop one of the straps to keep it from falling out, and that can be a pain.

One caveat with backpacks: they have had pickpockets at DLR and backpacks are really easy targets. I handle it by putting a small lock on the zippers and keeping the things that I will need frequently (Fastpass, ID, a little money) on my person so I don't have to constantly unlock the bag.
      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

I carry a backpack every single time I go, and have never ever had an issue bringing it onto a ride.

Carrying a purse makes whatever shoulder I'm carrying it on hurt, so I constantly have to switch.

It's really a matter of personal preference, but I find a backpack to be much more convenient due to leaving my hands free, weight distributed over both shoulders, and I can toss it in on any ride with me (including Screaming) without worry of things falling out, etc.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
        KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Comment

My wife wears a backpack when we go. Keeps snacks and water in it, it is also large enough to keep a scrunched up sweater/sweatshirt in as well. She never has an issue with it on rides or in lines. She wears one of those lanyard/necklace things with the clear zippered pouch on it for her pass and cash. So if someone tries to pick-pocket her back, all they'll end up with are ziplock baggies full of peanut m&m's, beef jerky, sour patch kids or sunflower seeds.

Comment

Just to be clear - there's "backpack" that I see sometimes in the park where it's likely a tourist doing a hostel tour or somesuch. Full frame, usually larger than the size of the upper torso. THOSE you are likely to need to leave somewhere else. "Backpack" in smaller size is different - that is what I refer to as "daypack".
            Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

I usually just bring a small purse with ticket, credit cards, money, sunblock, and cell phone in it and wear it crosswise across the front of my body. Keeps my hands free and makes it harder for someone to take it off of me or to get into it without my knowledge. If we wanted to bring a light jacket or something, we just got a locker for the day.

Comment

With 2 kids, we always have a backpack. Never really had any issues taking it on rides beyond Screamin.

Comment

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
                  Just to be clear - there's "backpack" that I see sometimes in the park where it's likely a tourist doing a hostel tour or somesuch. Full frame, usually larger than the size of the upper torso. THOSE you are likely to need to leave somewhere else. "Backpack" in smaller size is different - that is what I refer to as "daypack".
                  This is true. If it's a pack that is designed for a backpacking trip across Europe or a hike in the Andes it's probably not the best thing to bring to the park. The one I bring is daypack (or school backpack) sized.
                  Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

As a person who ALWAYS brings a backpack to Disneyland, I definitely say the benefits of a backpack outweigh the drawbacks. I always pack frozen and non-frozen water bottles, a jacket, and maybe a few snacks. I do agree that on some rides it's a pain to deal with (like Space Mountain and Screamin') but when you or somebody else starts getting hungry or thirsty later during your visit, you'll be glad to have that backpack filled with water and snacks. It's just so useful to stuff whatever you need in your backpack, set it on your back, and just forget about it. There's no fuss with your hands, it's easy to carry, and it doesn't restrict your movements. It definitely makes your visit a lot easier.
                    My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

I am a male and use a one strap backpack that can fit front or back. It has a length long zipper for very easy access in any situation. I wear it the front and have no problem strapping/bar down riding. I carry a new product folded poncho for grizzly, a new one everyday, cereal bars, cheese sticks and water. Also my antique cell phone ( I don't take photographs) and note-card with the schedule for the day. I carry my wallet in one front pocket and tickets in another wallet carried in the front.

Comment

I've started using my CamelBak instead of the full sized backpack on my last few outings. I've got one that has a few good sized pockets and a large bladder. I can fit a sweatshirt, snacks, and a DSLR in it. Much smaller than a backpack, but still gets me what I need.

Like another posted said, sometimes a pack of any kind will be in your way, but it also gives you a great place to stash stuff you will otherwise need.
                        I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Backpacking is totally fine, and it's something I've done in the past on all-day trips. Mostly I find it convenient for water rides like Splash and Grizzly, because I can throw my wallet and phone in my bag and not have to worry about them becoming water-logged.

Comment

As someone who doesn't bring a backpack (and will probably be labeled a hater after this), just please be aware of your surroundings. I can't tell you how often someone is in line behind me wearing a backpack and they turn around to talk to people in their party and they constantly hit me with it. They turn with it and they hit me. Then they turn the other way and they hit me. I move a bit closer to the group in front (trying to maintain that "bubble") and of course the people behind me pick up the slack and continue to hit me with their backpack.

I know, I'm a whiner, but it really is annoying.

Comment

OP, just keep the straps a little on the loose side. That makes the backpack easier to get in and out of for rides. Works for me.

Originally posted by loungefly97 View Post
                              I can't tell you how often someone is in line behind me wearing a backpack and they turn around to talk to people in their party and they constantly hit me with it.
                              This happens to me constantly at conventions. Right in the chest, too.
                              DLR APDL Paris 2002WDW 2007, 2013, 2015TDL & Sea 2009DCL 2014
                              To Do: ABD in 2016; Hong Kong DL & Shanghai Disney: see you in 2017!
                              GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
                              My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X