Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nemo123
    MiceChatter
    • Dec 2011

[Question] Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

Just wondering
  • DLRDAD
    Sock Puppet
    • Aug 2013

Comment

• Westsider
      MiceChatter
      • Apr 2007

Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

Disneyland fans are emotionally invested in the cultural significance of the place, and they love talking about the nuances and little Walt details that ooze forth from Disneyland. It's a hobby and enthusiasm based in love and sincere appreciation. It also helps that the second gate next door went from Zero to Hero in three years flat. Disneyland is Walt Disney.

WDW fans are tourists from out of state who are more worried about something called a "refillable mug" and their DVC points and MagicBands and Magical Express times and making Dining Plan dinner reservations 180 days in advance of their visit. The WDW culture makes it hard to appreciate what park details there are there, because they are so stressed out over the finite details of their $5,000 vacation. It doesn't help that they go for a decade or more between opening major attractions at each park, so the conversation lags. Disney World is Meg Crofton.

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
        Disneyland fans are emotionally invested in the cultural significance of the place, and they love talking about the nuances and little Walt details that ooze forth from Disneyland. It's a hobby and enthusiasm based in love and sincere appreciation. It also helps that the second gate next door went from Zero to Hero in three years flat. Disneyland is Walt Disney.

WDW fans are tourists from out of state who are more worried about something called a "refillable mug" and their DVC points and MagicBands and Magical Express times and making Dining Plan dinner reservations 180 days in advance of their visit. The WDW culture makes it hard to appreciate what park details there are there, because they are so stressed out over the finite details of their $5,000 vacation. It doesn't help that they go for a decade or more between opening major attractions at each park, so the conversation lags. Disney World is Meg Crofton.
        Post of the Year, if not the decade!!
        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-01-2013, 11:05 PM.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Nemo123
          MiceChatter
          • Dec 2011

lol well that pretty much sums it up. thanks.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
            враг народа
            • Mar 2005

Are you speaking specifically here? Because this is a Disneyland focused site. Go to a Walt Disney World focused site and you'll find plenty of discussion. I'd love to see more of the thought provoking discussions that were once a staple of MiceChat.

Comment

• Disneymike
              Planet of Puddingheads
              • Jan 2005

Nice post Westsider, right on the money.

Comment

• jcruise86
                former CM

• Jul 2006

Eloquent and true. Hopefully WDW will be re-born five years from now, but Roy Disney, Jr. is gone and Steve Jobs' widow (Disney's largest shareholder) is apparently inactive, so expect more of the same from Iger and Staggs for as long as they can keep earning 30 & 10 million by keeping WDW pretty stagnant. Even two DCA-scale makeovers (that--at dwarf coaster speed--wouldn't be done till 2017) would be insufficient. Help us U. Orlando; you're our only hope.

Question: has Steve Jobs' death meant that his representative, John Lasseter, is less powerful?

It's surprising to me that today the two Disneyland Paris parks are apparently closer in quality to WDW's parks than they are to Anaheim & Tokyo's. Timidity in Disney parks can't win in the long run. See Hong Kong, DCA's start, and the Walt Disney Studio Park at Disneyland Paris. See Roy Disney, Jr.'s public letter to Michael Eisner.
                Last edited by jcruise86; 10-02-2013, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• Barbaraann
                  Chicago Gal
                  • Apr 2005

When I first discovered MiceChat back in 2005, I was happy to finally have found a site that knew a lot about the Disneyland Resort. Up to that point, I had only visited Disney World. I credit MiceChat with helping to make my very first trip to Disneyland a huge success. I soon learned the many differences between the two destinations. Since then, MiceChat has evolved nicely into talking about both destinations. However, it's origins are based in California, so there most likely will always be more people posting in the Disneyland forums.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

• jcruise86
                    former CM

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                    When I first discovered MiceChat back in 2005, I was happy to finally have found a site that knew a lot about the Disneyland Resort. Up to that point, I had only visited Disney World. I credit MiceChat with helping to make my very first trip to Disneyland a huge success. . .
                    Going to Disneyland with my kid since she was 14 months old has been one of the best parts of my adult life, & Micechatters have helped me make the most of these many local trips. So thanks, Micechat!

Comment

• thomaslw
                      New MiceChatter
                      • May 2012

the ppl that go to disneyland tend to be locals w/ passports that are naturally very passionate about disneyland (and go there many times) and thus will find ways of talking about it on forums. the ppl that go to disneyworld are tourists who go there once every so often and have no reason to participate in forums on disneyworld.

Comment

• iceicebergha
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jun 2013

I follow an entirely different forum for WDW news and info, one which has an enormous amount of members, sub forums, and long, long threads. I went looking for info to potentially plan a WDW trip in the next year or two, and although I found that, I also found many threads where members attack one another due to personal opinions of which ADRs to make, and most recently, a long, viscious thread debating how "fair" it is that some resort guests get to TEST FP+ and the MyMagicBand system and others don't. Although the GAC/DAS is a hotbed issue on both coasts, their admins won't let members start threads regarding the changes because it turns into an all out war.

So, that being said, although I may be biased because MiceChat was my first step into the world of Disney-related forums, I do have to say its a far more welcoming environment.

Comment

• jasmineray
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                          Are you speaking specifically here? Because this is a Disneyland focused site. Go to a Walt Disney World focused site and you'll find plenty of discussion. I'd love to see more of the thought provoking discussions that were once a staple of MiceChat.
                          Exactly this.
                          Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

• Nemo123
                            MiceChatter
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                            well there is a Disney World forum but that doesnt recieve near as much traffic as this one.

Comment

• Nemo123
                              MiceChatter
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by thomaslw View Post
                              the ppl that go to disneyland tend to be locals w/ passports that are naturally very passionate about disneyland (and go there many times) and thus will find ways of talking about it on forums. the ppl that go to disneyworld are tourists who go there once every so often and have no reason to participate in forums on disneyworld.
                              people in florida who are annual passholders dont go like they do here?

Comment

• jasmineray
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Nemo123 View Post
                                well there is a Disney World forum but that doesnt recieve near as much traffic as this one.
                                Lazyboy specifically said a WDW site, not a forum. Go to a WDW-centered site and you'll find plenty of traffic.

Comment

• BogLurch
                                  Inactive
                                  • Jun 2005

I'd also say that it might be in part because the original site (mayitrestinpeace) was founded as a Disneyland site. The DIG was primarily focused on Disneyland, and as I remember they were quite proud when they added DW coverage to it as well.

Ages ago and all, but the bias is probably baked into the site.
                                  Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

• stevek
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jasmineray View Post
                                    Lazyboy specifically said a WDW site, not a forum. Go to a WDW-centered site and you'll find plenty of traffic.
                                    Very true. There are a couple of sites out there that are pretty massively focused on WDW, not as much on DL. And there are some crazy discussions that go on there that quite honestly, would never happen here (they'd likely be shut down). I will say that much of what I see on that site can be far more thought provoking that alot of the threads that get started here. I would even argue that many WDW fans can be just if not more passionate than DL fans.

Comment

• jasmineray
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stevek View Post
                                      Very true. There are a couple of sites out there that are pretty massively focused on WDW, not as much on DL. And there are some crazy discussions that go on there that quite honestly, would never happen here (they'd likely be shut down). I will say that much of what I see on that site can be far more thought provoking that alot of the threads that get started here. I would even argue that many WDW fans can be just if not more passionate than DL fans.
                                      Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X