Why can't they provide a date for BTMRR re-opening yet?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice
    Mischievous Mouse
    • Oct 2007

[Question] Why can't they provide a date for BTMRR re-opening yet?

When was the last time they couldn't provide a date 3-4 months in advance? How could it be so vague STILL?

I'm ready to book mid Feb and am going to be super bummed if in a few weeks they announce "Feb 28th"!!

I care but I don't. Love the ride but can't wait to book any longer!!!!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney
  • sean317
    MiceChatter
    • Jun 2013

Re: Why can't they provide a date for BTMRR re-opening yet?

I'm sure certain circumstances are preventing that from happening (aka CAL OSHA).

Comment

• micromind
      world class bilge rat
      • Aug 2009

A few possibilities come to mind;

1) Since calosha has found its latest gold mine, it's entirely possible that they are doing everything in their power to make life hard for DL. I've spent 39 years in the heavy construction trades; believe me, osha can indeed make a 3 month project take a whole year.

2) If structural problems were found, most likely there are a multitude of educated idiot engineers busily at work on it. And each one is mostly trying desperately to make himself look better than the rest.

3) TDC could easily be the problem here. In any number of ways......

4) All of the above.

More than likely, the main problem boils down to politics, not actual progression of hands-on work.

Comment

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
        Mischievous Mouse
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by micromind View Post
        A few possibilities come to mind;1) Since calosha has found its latest gold mine, it's entirely possible that they are doing everything in their power to make life hard for DL. I've spent 39 years in the heavy construction trades; believe me, osha can indeed make a 3 month project take a whole year. 2) If structural problems were found, most likely there are a multitude of educated idiot engineers busily at work on it. And each one is mostly trying desperately to make himself look better than the rest. 3) TDC could easily be the problem here. In any number of ways......4) All of the above. More than likely, the main problem boils down to politics, not actual progression of hands-on work.
        This makes perfect sense really, the state is hurtin' for money and Disney has a boat-load of it!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

• PinBrian
          • Sep 2005

Having dealt with cal OSHA.....they can make life hell

Comment

• disneychrista
            See Ya Real Soon!
            • Feb 2005

I like the simple answers - they do not know.

Comment

• Malina
              MiceChatter

• Oct 2011

You know, it also might be that they don't want to box themselves into a deadline. They had a concrete date before and couldn't meet it; they might not want to disappoint anyone again by failing to meet a second date.

IMHO I feel this is better - I would much rather that they take the time they need to ensure that EVERYTHING is okay, than to try to race to meet a specific date. I can totally understand how it would be frustrating and problematic for anyone trying to book a vacation right now, though.
              Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

• micromind
                world class bilge rat
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                You know, it also might be that they don't want to box themselves into a deadline. They had a concrete date before and couldn't meet it; they might not want to disappoint anyone again by failing to meet a second date.

IMHO I feel this is better - I would much rather that they take the time they need to ensure that EVERYTHING is okay, than to try to race to meet a specific date. I can totally understand how it would be frustrating and problematic for anyone trying to book a vacation right now, though.
                You have a good point here. By far the worst hazard I face on any job is being rushed. Reasonable deadlines are just that; reasonable. I really wish I'd see just one sometime......

Lol.

And even if the deadline were to be reasonable, some idiot with more power than brains would move it up to the point of impossible.

I'd much rather see a delayed opening than on time with endless breakdowns due to overly rushed construction.

Comment

• Eric5675
                  Senior Monorail Minion
                  • Mar 2008

People making CalOSHA comments should probably be knowledgable enough to know that Disney is making these changes voluntarily and are not being fined...

But it sounds better...
                  WELCOME ABOARD
                  THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

• Nirya
                    Not the Hawkguy
                    • Jul 2013

Part of it is the original rework was designed and planned around before the new OSHA regulations came out. Disney is going back in now and redoing work so that they can bring the ride up to new OSHA standards. It's a voluntary thing, but really a good move on their part to get ahead of this before the fines really come.

Comment

• GiRiMama33
                      Mistress of Evil
                      • Aug 2012

The DLR Media page has an opening date of 2/15/2014 listed.

Comment

• micromind
                        world class bilge rat
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Eric5675 View Post
                        People making CalOSHA comments should probably be knowledgable enough to know that Disney is making these changes voluntarily and are not being fined...

But it sounds better...
                        The guy that fell off of Space Mountain resulted in a proposed fine of $234,850 against Disney. (By the way, this is roughly Bob Igers pay for one month.....)

From my experience, this fine was very likely reduced to somewhere around $50,000 to $75,000.

This is just one example, I bet there are more.

Comment

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
                          Mischievous Mouse
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by GiRiMama33 View Post
                          The DLR Media page has an opening date of 2/15/2014 listed.
                          I searched. Do you have a link?

-Walt Disney

Comment

• sean317
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Eric5675 View Post

But it sounds better...
                            I highly doubt they are "voluntarily" making Cal OSHA changes. More like making these changes in order NOT to be fined.

Comment

• sleepyjeff
                              Spree Candy
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                              This^

There is little upside to announcing a definite date and nearly a million reasons not to
                              Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

• GiRiMama33
                                Mistress of Evil
                                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
                                I searched. Do you have a link?
                                Yes.

Comment

• BogLurch
                                  Inactive
                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by sean317 View Post
                                  I highly doubt they are "voluntarily" making Cal OSHA changes. More like making these changes in order NOT to be fined.
                                  Or you could ALSO view it as making safety changes to the ride to prevent situations that might result in ANOTHER fatality on a coaster that's already killed one person.

OSHA's reactive. I'm not certain what a reactive safety organization did to create this utter distaste and animosity. MANY of the "OSHA" changes are being done by Disney in an overabundance of caution from *internal* directives, not OSHA slapping Disney. We'd know if OSHA had - there would be more ride closures, publicly filed suits for failing to follow directives etc.

Disney's been overreactive on this front before, and in this particular case they're dealing with a ride where there has been an actual customer fatality caused by a failure in the maintenance routines. Is it not entirely possible they may be a little sensitive to this and to the public reaction that would occur if a ride that has already killed one guest then had other very public breakdowns soon after it reopened - that they may JUST be trying to make sure they've got every possible test and safety protocol in place before opening?

Nah. HAS to be OSHA. Bad ol' OSHA, did you get mud on the carpet again?
                                  Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
                                    Mischievous Mouse
                                    • Oct 2007

Well I'll be, I sure hope that holds out true. That's right when we'll be arrivin'

Thanks for THAT!!

-Walt Disney

Comment

• 4Apples4Disney
                                      Seeker of Fun
                                      • Jul 2009

OSHA= Why the government should not be entrenched in every aspect of a company or our lives.
                                      Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Comment

• second blue teacup
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2012

I'm willing to bet all the OSHA naysayers here have never actually worked in a hazardous workplace (ironically, probably thanks to OSHA).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X