This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Star Tours, wow!

I've been on Star Tours only a couple times (friends prone to claustrophobia, motion sickness) since the refab, I was not that impressed. It seemed to me to have lost a story line that draws one into the action and settled for what replaces experience (too often) these days, a lot of throwing guests back and forth... and loud noise... the scenario seemed to have degenerated into disparate snips of action, thrown together without mental engagement, then suddenly (like Snow White scary witch, scary forest, suddenly, happily ever after), back at the star port....

Yesterday, experienced the ice planet slide down the icy mountain segment, then, sea monsters
    we were screaming the entire time!

I'm impressed....
    the motion so perfectly synchronized to the screen
    knowing where I was sitting... I was completely caught up in it

WOW!
    next time, they will have to wait while I do Star Tours

Re: Star Tours, wow!

I'm yet to ride with anyone who didn't say the old version is better.
    The same goes for Test Trac. I'm nervous about any future ride redos.

Comment

Really? I rode the old Star Tours DOZENS of times, the refurb with it's 53 different patterns is way better. Plus the 3D is really well done. Sorry to burst the bubble, but ST 2.0 IS better than 1.0

Comment

Everyone I know prefers the new version. Unfortunately, I can't ride it as it's a recipe for a protein spill if there ever was one.

Comment

I'd ridden three other times, would have said I preferred the old version... but this last ride was fantastic
          I suppose it depends on which pattern you get

though, I still think they lost the tempo
          made up for with screaming new effects ;-)

It's like POTC vs Indiana Jones... POTC, great immersion experience... you are in that world
          Indiana, lots of shaking around and whiplash... the visual secondary to the whiplash
          I'm sorry to see the whiplash effect added to the supposedly flying attraction Peter Pan
          and unnecessarily to TSM

Throwing guests back and forth to create excitement...
          it's like slipping back to carnival rides...

Comment

I dislike that the ride is now about the one person singled out as the 'agent'. It's another removal of agency - before, this was Rex's first flight and we were all in this together on the mad run to Endor. Now, we're all extras on someone else's flight.

One person gets a heightened experience, everyone else gets to be the redshirts on their mission. Now THAT is Disney storytelling!
            Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwill View Post
              Sorry to burst the bubble, but ST 2.0 IS better than 1.0
              That is a subjective statement and varies based on each individual rider's opinion.
              "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by Wildwill View Post
                Really? I rode the old Star Tours DOZENS of times, the refurb with it's 53 different patterns is way better. Plus the 3D is really well done. Sorry to burst the bubble, but ST 2.0 IS better than 1.0
                INFINITELY better.

Comment

Originally posted by GwenRowan View Post
                  I'd ridden three other times, would have said I preferred the old version... but this last ride was fantastic

It's like POTC vs Indiana Jones... POTC, great immersion experience... you are in that world
                  Indiana, lots of shaking around and whiplash... the visual secondary to the whiplash
                  I'm sorry to see the whiplash effect added to the supposedly flying attraction Peter Pan
                  and unnecessarily to TSM

Are you trying to tell me that the visuals to Indiana Jones are secondary to the attraction? Indiana Jones has some of the most impressive effects and immersive visuals ever. The visual effects are simply amazing. The Indy vehicles make you part of the action instead of slowly floating by it on a boat. The shaking on Indiana Jones is not a replacement of immersive environment, it supplements it. They work together, with Pirates you get a impressive sets. With Indiana Jones you get action and impressive sets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	indiana-jones-adventure-00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	7353318

As far as Star Tours goes, I think being a Star Wars fan increases the enjoyment from the attraction. However the Vader, Hoth, Naboo sequence is by far the best. I also like the Yoda transmission best.
                  Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

ST2.0 is so much better. Before, I'd only only do the original once. Now, I'm not satisfied until I ride it about 3 times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                      Are you trying to tell me that the visuals to Indiana Jones are secondary to the attraction? Indiana Jones has some of the most impressive effects and immersive visuals ever. The visual effects are simply amazing. The Indy vehicles make you part of the action instead of slowly floating by it on a boat. The shaking on Indiana Jones is not a replacement of immersive environment, it supplements it. They work together, with Pirates you get a impressive sets. With Indiana Jones you get action and impressive sets.
                      COMPLETELY agree. Indiana Jones is like actually being in the adventure. The entire space is so huge, detailed, and intense... in this regard, it is one of the most impressive rides anywhere, ever, in my opinion. I often say they could've filmed a movie RIGHT THERE.

Comment

Originally posted by GwenRowan View Post

and unnecessarily to TSM

Motion is kind of the point of theme park rides......otherwise we would all be just as satisfied watching movies or plays. Some rides have to have a thrill element to them to appeal to different demographics but the story and scenery always come first at Disneyland. Sometimes, the motion or "whiplash effect" is a crucial element to the story, such as in Indiana Jones or Star Tours.

I'm glad you liked the re-vamp, though. I agree, it's leagues better than the older version...smoother, clearer, and more re-rideable. I think the only guests who don't like it to the original feel this way out of nostalgia more than anything.
                        Last edited by TylerDurden; 11-19-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden View Post
                          Motion is kind of the point of theme park rides......otherwise we would all be just as satisfied watching movies or plays. Some rides have to have a thrill element to them to appeal to different demographics but the story and scenery always come first at Disneyland. Sometimes, the motion or "whiplash effect" is a crucial element to the story, such as in Indiana Jones or Star Tours.

I'm glad you liked the re-vamp, OP. I agree, it's leagues better than the older version...smoother, clearer, and more re-rideable. I think the only guests who don't like it to the original feel this way out of nostalgia more than anything.
                          I don't like the new version. There's no "story" feel to it - it's plainly obvious it's a series of unconnected vignettes strung together. As noted earlier, I dislike the singling out of one rider as the reason for the ride when it was perfectly acceptable earlier that it be the entire "speeder" - why are we on THEIR ride? It barely works as a framing device and doesn't involve the rest of the cabin other than to place them as passive spectators to someone else's "adventure".

I don't have much nostalgia for the old ride - I couldn't even ride it towards the end due to the creeping fuzz and synch errors nauseating me - but I still preferred the overall experience to the "greatest hits of someone else's adventure" you are presented with now.
                          Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

I enjoy the new version. But the only thing is when you have a favorite sequence, you can't guarantee getting it ever again. I do miss that.
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
                              I don't like the new version. There's no "story" feel to it - it's plainly obvious it's a series of unconnected vignettes strung together. As noted earlier, I dislike the singling out of one rider as the reason for the ride when it was perfectly acceptable earlier that it be the entire "speeder" - why are we on THEIR ride? It barely works as a framing device and doesn't involve the rest of the cabin other than to place them as passive spectators to someone else's "adventure".

I don't have much nostalgia for the old ride - I couldn't even ride it towards the end due to the creeping fuzz and synch errors nauseating me - but I still preferred the overall experience to the "greatest hits of someone else's adventure" you are presented with now.
                              That's a good point, obviously I can't speak for everyone, and it's all a matter of opinion. But to be fair, the story wasn't quite apparent in the original version either. Why is there another Death Star being built in the exact same way as the first one? Why can't we jump to lightspeed back to Endor when we easily jumped right back to the space station? And where did that random meteor shower come from? They're both pretty episodic and nonsensical in the end, which is why I consider Star Tours 2 better simply on an aesthetic level. But I see your point.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X