This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] 1981 rebuild of Storybook Land - never before seen images

In 1981, 25 years after Storybook Land had opened, Gerald "Jerry" Parker of the backstage Staff Shop began the huge task of replacing the original buildings of Storybook Land that had begun to severely deteriorate. These images are from Jerry's personal collection that he used to document every step of his process. I'm a volunteer at Walt's Barn in Griffith Park, and right now I'm spearheading a restoration of an original village from Storybook Land that was removed in 1981 and miraculously saved for all these years. Eventually, the restored village will be put on display at the barn, but we need to raise the funds to make that happen. Jerry's detailed images will not only help us with our restoration, but also bring awareness to our fundraising campaign.

Check out www.smallworldsofwalt.com to follow our restoration progress and see more of Jerry's images. You can also follow us on facebook too!

Re: 1981 rebuild of Storybook Land - never before seen images

Wow. I contributed to repurchase of the original DLRR combine car, and I'm more than happy to contribute for this effort as well.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Comment

Glad to see that a piece of DL history is being saved. Thanks

Comment

Wow, best of luck this looks incredible.

Comment

Can you guess what Storybook Land interior this is?

From another batch of images on www.smallworldsofwalt.com

Comment

Jerry Parker standing next to Storybook Land's Cinderella Castle while rebuilding it. I bet you never realized just how big that castle really was!

Comment

Really cool pics, thanks for sharing!

Comment

You all know this building well, the Tremaine house from the base of Cinderella's castle. A new installment of photos over at Small Worlds of Walt will show you the entire backstage back story of how it was rebuilt. I'm posting only some highlights here:

When the Chateau first arrived in the Staff Shop backstage after being crow-barred out of Storybook Land it was in pretty bad shape. One whole side of the house had collapsed and was delivered in pieces to the shop.

No Prince Charming will be walking up these steps with a glass slipper any time soon.

Side by side comparison of the two Tremaine houses.

All the detail work that had to be remade for just the Tremaine house sits infront of Jerry.

A single window with copper leading soldered over top held up by Will Graham.

Graham and Parker adding in more details to the roof lines.

Another miraculous save by Will Graham and Gerald Parker!

Now fully painted and ready to be installed, Jerry says goodbye to the Tremaine house.

A rare downward shot of the chateau showing of just how truly enormous this building is!

Indiegogo campaign

Comment

Awesome pictures!

Comment

Talk about having the best job ever.....I would LOVE to have a job like that.
                    sigpic

Comment

If the Fantasyland Skyway station is to come down - Then I would like to see it carefully dismantled, and put into the hands of people like these guys - Restored, and eventually rebuilt somewhere where it can be enjoyed, no differently than this project.

Here's hoping!
                      MY SIGNATURE:
                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                        If the Fantasyland Skyway station is to come down - Then I would like to see it carefully dismantled, and put into the hands of people like these guys - Restored, and eventually rebuilt somewhere where it can be enjoyed, no differently than this project.

Here's hoping!
                        Amen!
                        sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Thank you!
                          I can look at the perfection of those miniatures forever!
                          How wonderful to see them restored.

I loved the Christmas decorating on the attractions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X