• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishbulb
    MiceChat Contributer
    • Feb 2005

A Monster Hit at DCA?

Hey, Fishbulb here. Today at DCA I had the chance to take a spin on Disney California Adv.. I mean DCA's newest ride, Monsters Inc. "Mike and SUlly to the rescue!". This little dark ride is packing them in! Take a quick look.

Below are pictures of the outside queue.

To the left of the Monsteres entrance in front of the old "Millionaire" show building.

To the right of the entrance next to the old Hollywood and Dine location.

After the main entrance, the outside queue within the main show queue.

Guests were given these as a distraction during the wait.

When asked, a Cast Member told us that the wait time for Monsters was at 1hr and 15 mins. Now, some may argue that when Tower opened it was packed for the first couple of months and the lines faded after the novelty was gone, and that the same will happen with Monsters. But what do I think? I think that the lines will surely die down, but that this is THE family attraction that DCA has so desparately needed since opening in 2001. This is a solid ride with the best effects of any of the family dark rides at the DLR and it will do a lot to help this struggling park.

Your Thoughts?
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals. �
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Escapé
    MiceChatter
    • Apr 2005

Re: A Monster Hit at DCA?

In addition to Fishbulb's photos ... I have some I shot of the queue on the eve of Jan 13th, when the wait time was "only" 45 minutes:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...528&p=73653818

Comment

• Anders
      back to basics
      • Apr 2005

I think that obviously the crowds will die down somewhat in the future, but a well done dark ride has the ability to draw huge crowds, just look at Peter Pan. I personally think this will end up more like Peter Pan than Winnie the Pooh.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

• Ride Warrior
        Iron-Clad Allie
        • Feb 2005

Can't wait to see Minsters this summer. Glad the wair will likely not be as long as it is now. The positive reviews are quote incouraging. Thanks guys.
        To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

• Escapé
          MiceChatter
          • Apr 2005

Since the "soft opening" days .. up to date .. must be all us 600,000+ AP holders wanting to get our first glimpes of the ride.

Comment

• drnilescrane
            Having a Grand Day!
            • Apr 2005

If the original Journey into Imagination is anything to go by, Dark Rides can be REALLY popular - if you put the effort in to make them good in the first place.

Comment

• Skinny Dog
              Banned User
              • Jan 2006

Hi ,
              Rode the M.Inc. ride in Dec. Really cute, a little jerky at times, but the end was priceless. Will be a crowd fave with families for a long time. Line was quick. Ride lasted just long enuff before it became boring for adults and kids with ADD.

Comment

• gibbage
                Minion
                • Feb 2005

I rode it and waited 45 mins. I liked it, its OK, but not worth 45min-1 hour waiting. Not even close. I would say 15 mins max, but like what was said above, this is a novilty. The opening of a new ride alreays creates hype. We will see how long it last's. Good thing they re-did that area as it looks like people are NOT having a hard time finding the ride.

But, again. WTF does MI have to do with a Hollywood backlot? I have been in my fair share of backlots and sets and I dont remember hanging doors on tracks and furry monsters. Also, MI was not even filmed on a set or anything close, and not even in Hollywood!

Again DCA's theming goes askew. I can understand Hollywood Tower of Terror since that building EXISTS in HOLLYWOOD in reality, but MI?

Comment

• Mechavalon
                  Mechavalon
                  • Nov 2005

When we showed up yesterday at about noon, we stood in line for about an hour and a half and then after rounding the bed near Hollywood and Dine and entering the "Real Queue" we heard an overhead announcement declaring the ride was experiancing "Technical Difficulties" and that wait times may increase. So alas, we did not get to ride, but we did durring the soft opening, thank goodness. Anybody know what was wrong yesterday?
                  -Mechavalon

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

Comment

• TheDude
                    The Fantasyland guy
                    • Jan 2005

I went yesterday and I was SHOCKED to see the line at 85 minutes long. they had to use the "who wants to be a millionaire" queue for an extended queue.

I choose not to ride it. I love the ride, but not at 75-90 minutes wait. I'll go durning the week with no one in the park.

I'm thrilled to see it a success! but as others have pointed out, it will be interesting to see what happens when the APs go away.

Comment

• MasterGracey
                      Dateline Disneylander
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by gibbage
                      I rode it and waited 45 mins. I liked it, its OK, but not worth 45min-1 hour waiting. Not even close. I would say 15 mins max, but like what was said above, this is a novilty. The opening of a new ride alreays creates hype. We will see how long it last's. Good thing they re-did that area as it looks like people are NOT having a hard time finding the ride.

But, again. WTF does MI have to do with a Hollywood backlot? I have been in my fair share of backlots and sets and I dont remember hanging doors on tracks and furry monsters. Also, MI was not even filmed on a set or anything close, and not even in Hollywood!

Again DCA's theming goes askew. I can understand Hollywood Tower of Terror since that building EXISTS in HOLLYWOOD in reality, but MI?
                      Yeah, well explain to me how Muppets fit in Hollywood?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• tloolgb
                        Internet.Serious Business
                        • May 2005

Glad to see/hear it is a solid crowd pleaser. That is the most important thing, because now it confirms that yes this is what DCA needs.

Comment

• NPCody
                          • Mar 2005

I have still yet to ride it. I was at Disneyland yesterday and the approximate wait time was 1 hour and 30 minutes.

It was by far the longest wait in either park all day.

Comment

• sediment
                            Banned User
                            • Jan 2005

This is one aspect of attraction development that should not be lost on the Imagineers (and maybe Mr Lasseter knows this already):
                            If the queue is an hour long, then the ride should be worth the wait.

Now, obviously, over time, the wait times eventually will settle around the average "worth-this-long-to-wait" equilibrium. (See Pooh versus, say, Splash.) But it's probably a good idea to make the attractions as good as possible to make it worth the wait.

Time is the precious commodity, once the money has been spent.

Comment

• sediment
                              Banned User
                              • Jan 2005

I think we've already gone over how poor DCA's themeing is. HPB theme could easily be transformed into something else. Just have to think of something.

Comment

• TheDude
                                The Fantasyland guy
                                • Jan 2005

The first time I rode it I waited for 55 minutes on a CM preview day. I think that for a first time viewer, this is an ok wait time. don't know if I would have thought that if I had waited 90 minutes and I do know that I wouldnt wait that long again... but for a first timer, 55 minutes was ok.

Comment

• Disney Analyst
                                  Behind the refurb walls..
                                  • Apr 2005

This is great news and surely what DCA needs!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                  ~

Comment

• fastpassmountain
                                    • May 2005

When a low-moderate capacity attraction becomes popular, can it be too popular for it's own good? I'm sure we're all thankful that Monsters, Inc. is not a Fastpass attraction. However, how much will these crowds die down? If the Chew-Chew train in FFF can still have long wait times, Monsters, Inc. will likely continue to have them. If only there were more family style dark rides to balance the crowds out. A monster hit? Sure looks like it. Thanks for the pics, Fishbulb!

Comment

• dsnyfnatic
                                      • Mar 2005

[quote=fastpassmountain]If only there were more family style dark rides to balance the crowds out. [quote]

Well, you gotta start somewhere. Remember the old adage, "Rome wasn't built in a day." Maybe if Monsters remains popular over a long period of time, DCA will see more and more family-oriented dark rides added to its ranks. I'm sure WDI already has some ideas for new dark rides drawn up and stored somewhere, just waiting for park management to green light 'em. Time will tell....
                                      Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

• XCLIPSE129
                                        6 kids before I'm 30!!!!
                                        • Jan 2005

We also had to wait a good hour to ride Monster Inc, although the wait was long my kids loved it. And yes the line will die down but the true question will be, will there still be a line or just walk on ( 5-10 mins max wait) That will tell us if the ride is good or not. I honestly think its a great ride...short but great for my kids. But I do think the queue was very very plain. What happened there? Anyways thats just my $0.02
                                        We rock the party that rocks the party!
                                        We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X