This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney acquires Indiana Jones franchise

First Star Wars, now Indiana Jones? The Walt Disney Studios announced Friday that it has reached a marketing and distribution agreement with Paramount Pictures for future Indiana Jones
    Of course, Disney has owned Indiana Jones production rights since 2012, when the studio acquired LucasFilm. Until now, though, Paramount possessed marketing and distribution rights. Those now belong to Disney, making the process of making and releasing future Indiana Jones
    Disney did not reveal plans for any new Indiana Jones

Disney acquires rights for future 'Indiana Jones' films | Inside Movies | EW.com

What are your thoughts on Disney acquiring the Indiana Jones franchise. Do you think they will make more movies and new attractions for the parks?

Re: Disney acquires Indiana Jones franchise

I am less excited about this from a movie standpoint (I was not a fan of Crystal Skull at all) but more excited about it from a theme park standpoint. I know WDW fans have long wanted a Indy ride and perhaps they'll get their wish; the first thing that comes to mind is a mine coaster, of course, but since that's already being covered by the Dwarves, perhaps something different will come of it.

I'm also a fan of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and would love an Indy themed version - an extension on the effects already in the queue.

In one article I read, the author explained that the most fitting location would be to retrofit Dinoland, USA into a more Indiana Jones themed land, despite the fact that he's an archaeologist and not a paleontologist. With the addition of Avatarland, and possibly Star Wars land landing at DHS, I can't imagine we will see anything like this in the near future, but it's cool to think about.

I'd love more Indy on the west coast but I don't know where they'd open, unless a third gate ends up happening. (Fingers crossed!)

Comment

This better mean Disneyland is getting an Indiana Jones face character.

Comment

They could make a really neat third gate with all of their newly-acquired properties. One big lake headed by Mount Prometheus, with the entrance being Discovery Bay. Lands surrounding the lake/mountain could be a Marvel superhero city, an Indiana Jones jungle setting, and a Star Wars area. They could even squeeze in a sought-after villains land. Could be cool.

Comment

So awesome. I love Star Wars, but always been a bigger Indy fan. Even Crystal Skull with all it's problems was a lot of fun for me. Can't wait to see what they do.
          Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

I'm also a bit positive on this. I'm just not all that impressed with what Lucas has done since he hit "big" - I think the man really needs an editor or somesuch.

Disney will likely play it safe with the character, but he's an homage to *movie adventure serials*. How weird do you really want someone getting with the character?
            Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

This part of a related article by Variety is what interests me most...

THEME PARK ATTRACTIONS: Indy already has a presence in Disney’s theme parks through a pre-existing relationship with Lucas, which also added “Star Wars” to the parks through “Star Tours.” There’s a version of the “Indiana Jones Adventure” ride at Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, while Orlando’s Hollywood Studios has the “Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular” show. But a new film (and franchise ownership) will enable Disney’s Imagineers to think up new thrills for guests to experience.

Here's the full article:
              What the Future of Indiana Jones Could Look Like at Disney | Variety

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden View Post
                They could make a really neat third gate with all of their newly-acquired properties. One big lake headed by Mount Prometheus, with the entrance being Discovery Bay. Lands surrounding the lake/mountain could be a Marvel superhero city, an Indiana Jones jungle setting, and a Star Wars area. They could even squeeze in a sought-after villains land. Could be cool.
                Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!

Comment

Okay, I'm confused. I thought Disney had the rights to Indy long ago, since they have the rides/Indy hat merch and those have been in the park for a long time.
                  Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                    Okay, I'm confused. I thought Disney had the rights to Indy long ago, since they have the rides/Indy hat merch and those have been in the park for a long time.
                    They got most of it with the Lucas buyout, but didn't have the rights to market and release new films - Paramount had those.
                    Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
                      They got most of it with the Lucas buyout, but didn't have the rights to market and release new films - Paramount had those.
                      Aha - got it. Thanks for clarifying!
                      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Hey, Disney. I'm sure the new movies will still suck. But just an FYI, something everyone involved with the production of the last disaster somehow forgot: Indiana Jones is supposed to use a gun and kill people. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
                          Hey, Disney. I'm sure the new movies will still suck. But just an FYI, something everyone involved with the production of the last disaster somehow forgot: Indiana Jones is supposed to use a gun and kill people. Thanks.
                          Yeah, I'm sure Disney will really make sure that they get that part right in future movies.
                          "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
                            Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!
                            I'll add another enthusiastic Yes!

Comment

Maybe the ride was like a fake Gucci purse all these years?

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
                              Aha - got it. Thanks for clarifying!
                              Essentially Disney/Lucas had the right to shoot a new film but it would be marketed and released by Paramount, now Disney takes the lead and shares profits with Par.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X