This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reaver
    I agree completely! Maybe some North Island influence.
    So, drive your butt an hour south and go to the annual Camp Pendalton military days. REAL military aircraft on display. Real tanks you can climb on, real planes you can walk up to...... WAY better than any shrunk down copy Disney could dream of doing....

And just about every area of the country has these things. Heck, we're having our right here in Phoenix later this month... It's called Luke days afte luke Air Force base.

Something people can easily see for free, but generally don't because it is WAY too boring..... Stupid, stupid, stupid theme for a Disney theme park!

Comment

Dshimel- tell me have you piloted a plane over all those sights you are exposed to in California---in an opened face cockpit where you could feel the wind? smell the trees? or here an awesome soundtrack? all at the same time?

Ummm NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

If I were to put up a random poll about what power most people would want I can safetly say "flying" would top the list next to invisibility and a few others. Soarin gives people that experiance. The chance to fly. I think a lot of people "freaken" care. Yes its something wanna do and cannot do outside the park for a reasonable price! You find me a glider that you all over California for 55 bucks I am there my chum.

Its its fun- HELL YES Soarin is fun! Thats why they cloned it to the Florida! Gee wiz if this ride doesn't have a loopty loop and do 90mph it won't do for the great and powerful Dshmiel who wants big fast nasty e-tickets!

Find another pot to piss in my friend this argument is lame.

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
        He was a creative genious, but not infallable. 50 years of theme park history has shown the fun works, the mixed with education just means it will have to be redone every 10 years.... that doesn't work.
        :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Walt Disney, who STARTED all of this, was only partially right in his theme for the parks? He was right about the amusement, but not about the education/theme mix? No wonder you hate DCA. I'm surprised you like DL! Sounds like you're better suited to Six Flags. At least you won't have to worry about too much "theme" or thinking there...

Huge part of California history? Who freakin' cares???!??!?!?!?!?!?!!
        Me, for one. Is it that you don't like DCA, or don't like CA? Sounds like it could go either way...

Is if fun? Is it something or somewhere you've dreamed of being able to see or do, but just can't realistically do it outside of a theme park?
        Yes. When was the last time you rode a zephyr? Or a woodie on a beachside fair? Hang glided across the state in a matter of minutes?

It IS fun. Not to you, obviously, but because you don't think it's fun doesn't mean it isn't...
        Honor those who fall under the sword.
        But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

Amen!
          Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
          Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
          Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
          Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
          Marge: Pink.
          Homer: D'oh!
          Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Comment

He was a creative genious, but not infallable. 50 years of theme park history has shown the fun works, the mixed with education just means it will have to be redone every 10 years.... that doesn't work.
            50 years of theme parks has also taught us that you have to constantly add things to keep guests returning ANYWAYS
            "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by cfparkmanager
              You're contradicting yourself here. You say the execution was great, but you dislike the themeing work at DCA? Not fun? Themeing creates the magic and this park screams Disney all over it.
              No, you're missing the point. They did "ugly and boring" and good as they could possibly be done...... But they're still ugly and boring.

Let's put it this way....

Let's say management decided to do land-fill-land (or if you will, city-dump-land). Now let's say the Imagineers did the absolute recreation of a city dump... The look and feel and smell of real trach... Real trash truck coming in and dumping trash. Tractors running around smashing it down and covering it with dirt....

That would be a city-dump-themed-land that was executed as well as ANY city-dump-themed-land could possible be themed.

But the theme would still SUCK!!!!!!

Well, Cementdor flat is the best "ugly, boring, run-down-little-airport" that the Imagineers could possibly have created.... But it still sucks... It is something I never wanted to see because it is ugly and boring.

The managers screwed up in picking the themes.... It wasn't the Imagineers that screwed up the execution!

Further, what is "Disney Magic"?
              Transporting me out of where I am, and taking me somewhere else, that I can't easly get to in reality, and letting me do things I can't easily do in reality.

Fun, Exotic, ILLUSION!

Then you mention a handful of great Disney attractions and claim you'd like similiar caliber attractions at DCA, but isn't it completely unreasonable to expect the park to have a full slate of these rides when it opens?
              I don't expect a theme park to open with that many rides.

I was listing rides that create Fun, Exotic, Illusion, without using Disney Characters. I would like DCA to have rides that create Fun, Exotic, Illusion. If this can be done without using Disney Character, fine. However, IF we get fun, exotic, imaginative themes and ride in DCA (in place of the mundane, generic ones that the park is mostly full of now) I think it more likely we'll get character overlayed rides than non-character ones.

Rule #2 may apply in a fantasy park, but it is not a rule for a park based on an actual area.

AND, that is the point. DisCo was stupider than stupid to theme a park to real stuff, real close, that people can eaily see, but don't bother becuase it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't news to me that they totally ignored my rule 2.... It is as obvious as the nose on my face.. and I have a big nose....

What I'm saying is they the park has been a flop, not becuase of execution of the stupid, stupid, theme, but BECAUSE of the selection of the STUPID theme in the first place.

EPCOT is entirely based on this so I'd assume that you think it is not fun as well.

And Epcot is getting an enema right now to flush out that crap.

Motion is replaced with Test Track. Horrzons with Mission:Space. Land is getting Soarin'. Seas got Crush. It helps, but Epcot has a LONG way to go before all this non-fun is washed out!

There is nothing wrong with the farm either.
              The sky is green.

Comment

Originally posted by ah schucks
                Dshimel- tell me have you piloted a plane over all those sights you are exposed to in California---in an opened face cockpit where you could feel the wind? smell the trees? or here an awesome soundtrack? all at the same time?
                Soarin' is a great ride... It lets you do things you can't easily do. It shows you pretty things. It is imaginative and unique....

The land that it is in??????

The "ugly, run-down, boring airport"...... That sucks.

Pirates is better because it is in NoS. The theme of the land enhances the ride experience. Pirates would be diminished if it were just built in a warehouse in a parking lot.

Soain' is NOT better because of the theme of the land it is in. It would be just as good as it is now if it were just built in a warehouse in a parking lot.... wait..

Comment

So Walt Disney, who STARTED all of this, was only partially right in his theme for the parks?
                  That is correct. His vision for Tomorrowland has proven to be an unsustainable mess. His vision of a real EPCOT would have bankrupt the company.

Comment

Dshimel, I think you have a gripe with California or something! I've never been white water rafting, and have no desire to because it looks unsafe to me. DCA provides a ride that I can get on that gives me the illusion of being in the rapids while also being safe. That is FUN to me...

The Hollywood Tower Hotel allows me to be on an unpredictable elevator that drops faster than gravity. I would never want to experience such a thing in real life, yet at DCA, it's FUN to me...

Personally, I REALLY enjoy the theming at DCA. I think the buildings look great, and the atmosphere is awesome, especially by the California Hotel (I forgot the name....). There is nothing wrong with the theme, and they aren't boring. Maybe to you, but certainly not to everyone else. The park needs more attractions, but I love learning about things while being entertained, most people do in fact. Look at how many people want Adventures through Inner Space to come back!

Comment

That is correct. His vision for Tomorrowland has proven to be an unsustainable mess. His vision of a real EPCOT would have bankrupt the company.
                      I think the IQ of this board just dropped a few points. This point of few kills more brain cells than a cocaine powdered doughnut.
                      Honor those who fall under the sword.
                      But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

I think the IQ of this board just dropped a few points. This point of few kills more brain cells than a cocaine powdered doughnut.
                        :lol:
                        Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                        Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                          Dshimel, I think you have a gripe with California or something!
                          I was born in West Covina. Grew up in San Dimas (Graduated from San Dimas High the year before "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" was set there.

I lived in CA until I was 23 when the Navy transferred me to Hawaii. I then lived in Colorado for a decade and am now in Phoenix (mostly because of job and cost of living), but travel to Southern Californina about once a month on average... Sometimed more, sometimes less.

I'm a SoCal native, all my family still lives there, and I love SoCal as much as the next person.

My beef is exactly what I stated.... A theme park full of ugly, boring themes of things that I could easily do elsewhere for free, if they weren't so ugly or boring.

I've never been white water rafting,
                          I have... In every Six Flags amusement park I've been to. GRR is a fun ride, but it is generic.... Just like every raft-ride-themed-raft-ride in every non-Disney theme park...

The Hollywood Tower Hotel...
                          ToT is great... Not quite as good as MGM's since MGM starts you out in a run down service elevator, then transports you to the guest elevator back in the 1930s..... DCA's starts you out in a service elevator and ends in the same service elevaor.... That REALLY reduces the magic that the MGM version has... But that is another topic.

DCA has some good rides..... But they're tied together with a really poor theme.

I love learning about things while being entertained, most people do in fact. Look at how many people want Adventures through Inner Space to come back!
                          But why was it removed? You only learn something the first time. After that, you're just hearing/seeing something that you already know. These rides gorw old and tired, and need replaced in 10 years... And Disney is sick and tired of having to replace rides every 10 years. That is why they're removing all the educational rides from Epcot and replacing them with Fun rides instead.

Comment

My beef is exactly what I stated.... A theme park full of ugly, boring themes of things that I could easily do elsewhere for free, if they weren't so ugly or boring.
                            To you maybe. What does everyone else think?

Comment

Thank god someone has a sense of humor- This is supposed to fun right? :bow:

Comment

I will gladly compare IQs with you ANY time you want. Last time I took one, I tested at 148.....Highly Gifted.... About 1 in 1,000.

I scored in the top 1% on the SAT... Of course, I was the top student in both my AP Calculus and AP Pysics classes. When I joined the Navy I scored in the top 1% on the ASVAB, advanced to E6 in the Navy in 5 years (average is 10 years), earned a BSCS in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA, while working full time in the Navy....

After graduating college and getting out of the Navy, my income rose from $30K a year to $70K a year in less than 5 years. I've not collected a single unemployment check.

I was working on an MBA for a while, and maintinaing a 4.0 GPA, but found the whole "deceit and confusion" aspects of management to be to unappealing, so returned to computer programming.

As for the cocaine comment, I don't even drink alcohol. Nothing stronger than caffine in carmel colored sugar water for me thanks.

Comment

I will gladly compare IQs with you ANY time you want. Last time I took one, I tested at 148.....Highly Gifted.... About 1 in 1,000.

I scored in the top 1% on the SAT... Of course, I was the top student in both my AP Calculus and AP Pysics classes. When I joined the Navy I scored in the top 1% on the ASVAB, advanced to E6 in the Navy in 5 years (average is 10 years), earned a BSCS in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA, while working full time in the Navy....

After graduating college and getting out of the Navy, my income rose from $30K a year to $70K a year in less than 5 years. I've not collected a single unemployment check.

I was working on an MBA for a while, and maintinaing a 4.0 GPA, but found the whole "deceit and confusion" aspects of management to be to unappealing, so returned to computer programming.

As for the cocaine comment, I don't even drink alcohol. Nothing stronger than caffine in carmel colored sugar water for me thanks.
                                  Dude don't get so butt sore- it was a joke! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
                                    Well, they give away tickets, and made the park free with Disneyland AP.... Added the best ride to be added to DLR in the last 10 years....

And still are pulling numbers well below the first year's expected attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
                                      You know what I think? I get no respect even in Disneyland! *does Rodney Dangerfield impression* He he. I think DCA is gorgeous- too bad the cement is all cracked along the main drag! I especially love the natural setting surrounding Grizzly River flats.

...and the attention to detail in the backlot is a lot of fun, the shrinking streets and murals are fun.

Only area I think is over themed and under achieved is the north end of Paradise Pier by the Zepher...I like the beach look they started to create there and then let fall by the wayside.

Comment

Thanks, schucks, for you ever witty and lighthearted remarks on this site. You never cease to amuse me!

Comment

I like DCA, actually. It's certainly not Disneyland and it also certainly has a lot of room for change and improvement, but it is NOT irredeemable. I live in California and I love this state. I think the theme is valid. The execution is in need of improvement. Walt placed a high priority on "in-betweens." These are the countless details and small "attractions" in between the major attractions. Disneyland is dense with detail. DCA needs a lot of work in this area. There are just too many long stretches of "not much" while you walk inbetween rides and attractions. Time, money and imagination will cure this. Condor Flats was mentioned. I like this area. It reminds me of the dreamers and innovators of the 40's-50's who built planes, raced cars and created countless "modern" inventions. The area just needs more detail to compliment the theme. Some of the rides and attractions are really great and some are so-so. More time, money and imagination. It's a shame the park appears to have been opened on-the-cheap, but with care, it can mature into something good. I would like to see more unique attractions instead of off-the-shelf stuff. I've always wondered why the stores in "Hollywood" are just fronts and not real stores like on Main Street. Details and density! DCA is a worthy vessel...it's just half full. Lock the imagineers in the park for a week with an unlimited supply of pencils and yellow pads, plenty of food and water...then budget a few million bucks and stand back!
                                          "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                                          -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X