Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How insane is it to try to go to the parks on NYE?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] How insane is it to try to go to the parks on NYE?

We have some passes we are trying to use while the kids are on break.

Will we be slammed with lines?

Can you park hop after a certain point or do they stop allowing that due to capacity?

Re: How insane is it to try to go to the parks on NYE?

I think you're crazy to go anytime this week but I wish you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
      I think you're crazy to go anytime this week but I wish you luck.
      This

Comment

If you like crowds and are OK with not getting a lot done, if you really enjoy people watching, if you enjoy just bathing in the ambiance of a completely full park and are OK with not being allowed back in if you leave - you'll probably be OK. If you're not OK with any of that...
        Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

This is typically the busiest week of the year for the parks. The lines will be pretty bad (60-90 minutes for the big rides). MouseWait says that Indiana Jones currently has a 85 minute wait and that's at 11am PST.

Capacity at the gate is measured by two key statistics: outstanding tickets and current in park. They will restrict access to the park at varying levels based on those two stats. At a certain time, when outstanding tickets reach a certain point, they will stop selling tickets to a park (usually Disneyland, as California Adventure doesn't usually hit capacity). If the In Park total reaches a threshold, they will start limiting access to re-entries only, and then at another threshold stop access entirely.

TYPICALLY though, as I said California Adventure usually doesn't hit capacity, you would be OK to park hop from Disneyland to DCA later on in the day, but be aware you may not be able to park hop back to Disneyland until later in the evening as people start leaving after the last parade.

It's definitely a tricky business going this time of the year, but you certainly wouldn't be alone if you decide to go. Bring a lot of patience and don't plan to do too many of the big rides.

Comment

You will have a blast I have done it the past 5 years. bring your patience. Use fastpass. Don't expect to go on everything you want to pick and choose your battles. Make reservations for Dinner if you can. It might be too late but I would still try that really helps make the crowds bareable IMO. You can park hop if the parks don't get to capacity. I haven't seen the DCA gates close ever and the past 2 years I didn't see the DL gates close as well. In the past though DL defientely got closed and people were forced to DCA.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

It's beyond insane. 60 - 90 minute lines would be lucky if you can find those. 2hr lines are probably more likely. There are lines absolutely everywhere and for everything. We're talking lines to get into a land, lines to throw away trash, lines for the bathroom, no tables anywhere, absolutely as bad as it gets. Historically DL does hit capacity so if you're not in the park when it does, then you're out of luck. DCA doesn't normally hit capacity but then again up until last year it kinda sucked so maybe that will change. If you do go, then the best advise I can give you is do DCA first and then get over to DL by noon and plan on staying there the rest of the day. Find a spot that you want to watch the fireworks from and go to the other side of the park first, then work your way toward that side of the park. Crossing the hub is a nightmare so don't go from one side of the park to the other that way. Use Big Thunder Trail. Personally, I like watching the fireworks from the 2nd floor of Innoventions.

Good luck!
              Disneyland Cast Member
              Outdoor Vending
              1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by LloydChristmas View Post
                We have some passes we are trying to use while the kids are on break.

Will we be slammed with lines?
                Two words. Planning and strategy.

If you go at opening (8 AM, you should arrive in the parking lot no later than 7:30 AM) you can do whatever you want for the first hour, with the minor rides still being reasonable through most of the morning. Then it will start to get busier and busier as the day progresses, but you were there early and got the big rides out of the way (plus the infamously-always-long-lined Peter Pan) , right?. Fastpasses and single-rider lines (but don't expect to sit together) will allow you to do more than just walk around in the afternoon, though, and you can take the opportunity to do some of the things most people never do, like Tom Sawyer's Island (the pirate cave is a hidden gem if you take the time to interact with each exhibit, for example).

If you're in Disneyland, once it gets slammed start to use the back routes like Big Thunder trail and the path by the submarine lagoon to get from one side of the park to the other. Avoid the hub. As they say, you don't want to go there.

In the early evening it's best to pick one park and stay there for the rest of the night in case the main gate closes.

NYE could be great (I was there last year and had a blast) -- when else is Disneyland open until 2 AM?

Comment

In the middle of the day when crowds are at the peak, I suggest going on attractions such as Enchanted Tiki Room, Captain EO, Tarzan's Treehouse, Innoventions (yes, I am recommending that), Mark Twain, Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Comment

They just hit "restricted access" as of right now
                    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

I went to Disneyland on the day after Christmas last year and the New Year's Day 2013 and both days were surprisingly manageable. It wasn't even close to reaching capacity and I stayed well into the evening on both visits. No matter when you go, enjoy your day as best as you can because you are at Disneyland and rides aren't always the way to go. They have many great shows and other attractions (the Animation Building for example) that could suffice for missed rides.
                      The music celebration puts some motion into my ocean!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                        They just hit "restricted access" as of right now
                        Disneyland or DCA?

Comment

Been like this every day for the past week and next week is sure be the same if not close.

Good luck.

"The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by frollofan View Post
                            Disneyland or DCA?
                            Disneyland left atty about noon and heard people complaining that wouldn't leery anyone in

Comment

Originally posted by frollofan View Post
                              In the middle of the day when crowds are at the peak, I suggest going on attractions such as Enchanted Tiki Room, Captain EO, Tarzan's Treehouse, Innoventions (yes, I am recommending that),.
                              Innoventions will likely be closed as the CLub 33 NYE party is being held there.
                              If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X