Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Is true big thunder opens this month?

I also was told by a friend if you are a SoCal resident you am ride it even earlier. Is that true?

Re: Is true big thunder opens this month?

Maybe. Nothing official from Disney yet. Latest rumor has opening at early Feb with soft openings probably a week before opening and CM previews before that maybe.
    Rumor.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

I don't think they'd specifically recruit SoCal residents in any case.

A soft opening tends to be a soft opening - if they start letting any of the general public in early, the only requirement is that you're in the correct place at the correct time.

This isn't to say whether they might tie it in to a private party event or some similar idea. They did that with the Indy AP party aeons ago.
      Boggard LIEEEEF!

Comment

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
        I don't think they'd specifically recruit SoCal residents in any case.

A soft opening tends to be a soft opening - if they start letting any of the general public in early, the only requirement is that you're in the correct place at the correct time.

This isn't to say whether they might tie it in to a private party event or some similar idea. They did that with the Indy AP party aeons ago.
        I'm curious since I've never experienced a 'soft opening. Does a CM sidle up to a guest and whisper "Pssst, wanna ride?" or do they just open the ride up until a certain number of people rush in then rope it off again?
        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
          I'm curious since I've never experienced a 'soft opening. Does a CM sidle up to a guest and whisper "Pssst, wanna ride?" or do they just open the ride up until a certain number of people rush in then rope it off again?
          The ride queue is open, and there is usually a CM at the entrance of the queue (in my experience) who will tell you that the ride is open if you ask. There is no grand gesture for a soft opening and you may be told that the ride can/may/will stop at any time and that if you're in line, you might be completely out of luck, depending on the issue.

Comment

I don't know about in the context of ride openings specifically, but "soft opening" (or soft launch) usually just means, it's open but you intentionally don't announce it, no press release, no blogs, no ads, no official announcement, just open and anyone who happens to show up finds the pleasant surprise that it's open. Of course, with a place as high profile as DL and a ride people have been waiting for for a year, 15 minutes worth of tweets would make any soft opening as public as if they made a big announcement.

Comment

I highly doubt that.

Comment

Basically, a soft opening is the final stages of tests before a ride is officially open. They don't announce the ride as open, but usually you can walk up and get a chance to ride it. Consider it a large-scale stress test, if anything. As a personal story, we got lucky once to be at the park when they were soft opening the Monsters Inc ride, and we were stopped in the door room for a good 10 minutes. Some CMs came by and talked to us during the wait (they had some issues with a car ahead of us).

Comment

The attraction is very close to opening. If more of the walls come down which could happen at any time at this point, soft openings may follow right after.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

I know people have already posted that they are testing but I just get so excited when I hear it running! Open open open!!!!
                    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by Nirya View Post
                      Basically, a soft opening is the final stages of tests before a ride is officially open. They don't announce the ride as open, but usually you can walk up and get a chance to ride it. Consider it a large-scale stress test, if anything. As a personal story, we got lucky once to be at the park when they were soft opening the Monsters Inc ride, and we were stopped in the door room for a good 10 minutes. Some CMs came by and talked to us during the wait (they had some issues with a car ahead of us).
                      You should have laughed. That opens all the doors.

Since it is a coaster [insert standard warning] with a "history," I don't think soft openings will occur unless they are 100% certain it's safe. Probably won't let CMs on it until that point, either.
                      So, my guess is about 2-10 days before official opening there might be some soft opens.
                      Soft opens are more for the CM loaders to get into the rhythm of loading, unloading and the operators to get used to the actual use of the ride as opposed to just cycling through without peope.
                      Last edited by sediment; 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theatremouse View Post
                        I don't know about in the context of ride openings specifically, but "soft opening" (or soft launch) usually just means, it's open but you intentionally don't announce it, no press release, no blogs, no ads, no official announcement, just open and anyone who happens to show up finds the pleasant surprise that it's open. Of course, with a place as high profile as DL and a ride people have been waiting for for a year, 15 minutes worth of tweets would make any soft opening as public as if they made a big announcement.
                        Originally posted by sean317 View Post
                        I highly doubt that.
                        Something similar happened when Space Mountain reopened in 2005.

[Link to non-partner site removed]
                        Last edited by Trevor; 01-13-2014, 01:07 AM. Reason: Link to non-partner site removed as per Terms of Service

Comment

I wonder if they will have an AP day like they did with Star Tours prior to the official opening.
                          10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

Comment

Thanks for the education, everyone. BTMRR 'should' be open by the time I'm there (last week of Feb) but you never know. I'm spitting on the ground and turning counter-clockwise 3 times right now to counteract any 'jinx' I might have caused by that statement.

All I know is that now if I walk by any 'refurb-closed' or under construction ride and see a CM standing out in front I'm going to ask them if I can ride! LOL

IMHO, it wouldn't surprise me if there were to be an AP preview on very short notice. Seems like that's kinda the way they're doing things these days. Plenty of local APs that could high-tail it to the park in a trice the moment the word went out.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                              IMHO, it wouldn't surprise me if there were to be an AP preview on very short notice. Seems like that's kinda the way they're doing things these days. Plenty of local APs that could high-tail it to the park in a trice the moment the word went out.
                              count me in!
                              Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X