Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the Cave of Wonders before Aladdin came out (Story Book Land)?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What was the Cave of Wonders before Aladdin came out (Story Book Land)?

I went on this ride for the first time early in January and was able to thrill my niece by telling her of all the lands I visited. More important to me though was trying to figure out if the cave where the Cave of Wonders was at was always there. Was it just a barren tunnel before the ride?
    Last edited by C-HOX; 01-17-2014, 07:52 AM.

Re: What was the Cave of Wonders before Aladdin came out (Story Book Land)?

Good question! I've always wondered this myself.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Comment

As far as I can tell, it was just a transition cave.

Click image for larger version

Name:	storybookland.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	7353623

Comment

The cave of meh.
        sigpic
        Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Comment

Not 100% certain here, but I believe it used to be themed to Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. Their mine.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
            Not 100% certain here, but I believe it used to be themed to Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. Their mine.
            I'd believe it, I mean, isn't there jewels in the walls now? it wouldn't have taken much to add the lamp.

Now what I'm wondering is if we'll see Rapunzel's tower and Arendelle get added to the ride. I'd love to see them added sometime soon (maybe in time for the 60th)
            Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
            July 13th-18th
            November 19th-25th

Comment

Originally posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
              The cave of meh.
              Hah! I'm going with this. This is the answer.

Comment

it was a euphemism for a woman's.... PURSE! OH on the ride. My bad.

Comment

It was the 7 Dwarfs mine. Also, the area where Agrabah currently sits was the original home of Toad Hall.

Comment

Yup, it was Seven Dwarves' Mine. disneylandfan95 is also correct about the original site of Toad Hall. I remember being upset when they first put Agrabah there, since Toad Hall was completely eliminated from the ride. It was a few years before they put Toad Hall in its current location. Now everything is right again with that ride.
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

The correct answer, according to the original spiel, is the cave was the very same cave Snow White used to escape from the Evil Queen leading her to the cottage of the seven dwarfs. The dwarfs mine has always been next to the cottage since the ride opened in '56. Before the cave of wonders, the cave had nothing in it, just mica-flecked paint. The niches that hold the jewels and genie lamp were cut out of the walls when Agrabah was added.

Comment

What was in the spot where Prince Eric's Castle is now? I had always thought *nothing* was there before, but in the above graphic it looks like some sort of golden castle.
                        http://twitter.com/TheDLBro

http://thedisneylandbro.tumblr.com

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. Aladdin has an entire section of the ride themed to it and The Little Mermaid has the entire last section of the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by lightofdarkness View Post
                            As far as I can tell, it was just a transition cave.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34397[/ATTACH]
                            I see they mention what countries the stories come from. Is that to tie into the previous incarnations "canal boats of the world"?

Comment

Here's a side-by-side of the tunnel from 1958 compared to a recent image. You can even see how much the rock work around the tunnel portal has changed over the years.

Name:	SB_tunnel_03-58.jpg
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	7353652 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4483.jpg
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	7353650

Originally posted by monorail91 View Post
                              What was in the spot where Prince Eric's Castle is now? I had always thought *nothing* was there before, but in the above graphic it looks like some sort of golden castle.
                              I think what you are seeing are some stylized trees where the castle currently sits.

Name:	book_sm.jpg
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	7353651
                              Originally posted by AtomicBear View Post
                              I see they mention what countries the stories come from. Is that to tie into the previous incarnations "canal boats of the world"?
                              As far as I know, yes. The original idea for Lilliputian Land, and later the Canal Boats of the World, was to have the boats sail by miniature landmarks from around the world. By including the countries of origin of the the fairy tales, they are attempting to stay true to that original plan.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X