X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Going to Disneyland alone

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to Disneyland for 8 days... ALONE

So I am wondering how you guys do it. I have never gone alone before so its a little odd for me. Lie usually I'm with family or friends, this time I may meet up with some friends some of the days but I think most days I'll be alone. Usually when I'm in line I talk to those I'm with, but with not going with anyone, do I talk to whoever is near me in line, or should I bring my ipod and listen to music/podcasts while I'm in line?

Also, when going alone I know some rides have single rider lines (Indy, Splash, RSR, Grizzly) but what do you guys do to keep from getting bored while in the lines. I'm also a little worried about going to see characters, granted my last trip my gf (of the time) didn't go see the characters with me, but what do I do to avoid feeling awkward about being the only single adult male standing in line to see princesses... get your mind out of the gutter, thats not why I want to see them

Thanks in advance
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Re: Going to Disneyland alone

I recently did a 10 day Disneyland Vacation alone. I never get bored at Disneyland/DCA. My reason is that I take a lot of photographs. There's just so much that I still hope to capture in a picture.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Don't feel awkward about character meets, or anything else. You will not be the only adult meeting them. With or without companions. As for what to do in line, that's a good time to really focus on all the details of the place. There are a lot to take in. Enjoy the time to be selfish and go on what you want, when you want. If you are there on a Sunday, don't forget the Micechat meetup at noon by the statue of Uncle Walt.
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Ive never gone to the parks alone, but there was one time during vacation that I woke up way before everyone else (not sure why) and couldnt fall back asleep. We were at GCH, so I thought what the heck, Ill go down to the park (our plan was to do something else that day when everyone else woke up). I went down to ride RSR, Screamin, and ToT. It was a lot of fun, really! You notice little things you dont normally notice when youre surrounded by company. Single rider is also great. And moving at your own pace is a huge plus.

I wouldnt worry about being awkward. People just dont think much of it. When I see people in line for rides alone I just assume that theyre with friends or family who didnt want to ride the ride with them and are just waiting at the exit. Parties get split up all the time, so it isnt unreasonable to think somebody is just doing things on their own but still has company with them. But the most important thing to realize is that nobody is really worried about you, theyre worried about their own trip. People dont have time to look for everyone who is by themselves, theyre doing their own thing. So have a great time and enjoy your stay, theres no rule saying you have to go to Disneyland with company.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden View Post
          Ive never gone to the parks alone, but there was one time during vacation that I woke up way before everyone else (not sure why) and couldnt fall back asleep. We were at GCH, so I thought what the heck, Ill go down to the park (our plan was to do something else that day when everyone else woke up). I went down to ride RSR, Screamin, and ToT. It was a lot of fun, really! You notice little things you dont normally notice when youre surrounded by company. Single rider is also great. And moving at your own pace is a huge plus.

I wouldnt worry about being awkward. People just dont think much of it. When I see people in line for rides alone I just assume that theyre with friends or family who didnt want to ride the ride with them and are just waiting at the exit. Parties get split up all the time, so it isnt unreasonable to think somebody is just doing things on their own but still has company with them. But the most important thing to realize is that nobody is really worried about you, theyre worried about their own trip. People dont have time to look for everyone who is by themselves, theyre doing their own thing. So have a great time and enjoy your stay, theres no rule saying you have to go to Disneyland with company.
          this is true but I have friends that live in Florida that go alone a lot and they say the CMs at WDW always give them dirty looks when they go to see characters (not the face characters themselves but the handlers)
          Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
          July 13th-18th
          November 19th-25th

Comment

Well if they are giving you dirty looks, they really shouldn't be CM's in the first place!
            And even if they did give me a dirty look, I probably wouldn't care much. Disneyland is for people of all ages, races, genders etc. So if a single male on his lonesome wants a picture with a character, they should create just as much magic for him as they would a 5 year old girl.

Comment

I have always said, "going to Disneyland alone, is better than not going to Disneyland at all".

I have found over my many trips, with friends, family members, I'd much rather spend the majority of my time alone. I guess I always felt like the odd man out, who couldn't keep up, or didn't want to get on a certain ride. So now I follow my own agenda, and I have a great time.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

I go to Disneyland all the time by myself. It's what you make of it. I actually prefer it because it gives me the chance to do exactly what I want, spend time walking around and really soaking in all the scenery, etc.

As for the characters, I've never had issues with them or their handlers, ever. I've actually found that if you're on your own the characters might spend more time being silly with you. I agree with the comment above, that if a handler gives you a dirty look for standing on line to meet a character they shouldn't be working at Disneyland. A lot of adults, both solo and in groups, want to meet the characters.

If you are bored on line you can play on your phone, bring a book, draw, try to look at all the details in the queue, etc. I've done all of those things. I also take a lot of photos so I use my queue time to review my images a lot of the time. If you're worried about eating alone you might try to get something to eat as you watch a parade or WoC, so you have another focus.

You will have fun. Honest.
                Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                  but what do I do to avoid feeling awkward about being the only single adult male standing in line to see princesses... get your mind out of the gutter, thats not why I want to see them
                  Thanks in advance

Eh half the time the people that I'm going with won't get there for a few hours after opening (why people don't love the morning as much I'll never know) so I do that all the time. Pixie Hollow mostly but I'll visit the princesses too.

Occasionally you'll get the parent asking if the kids are off playing in fantasy land or something. That's more them being socially awkward and assuming things than me though, I am sort of an introvert but standing in lines solo has helped immensely with that over the last couple of years. Plus I've even gained some new friends while waiting in lines that way so go for it and have fun!

Comment

You defiantly will start to focus on the little things around the park. Stop by traders SAMs for a tasty cocktail, always makes walking around a little more enjoyable

Comment

out of curiosity has ANYONE ever tried giving their number to a character and/or gotten a number from a character with a note saying what time they're off?? My brother keeps telling me that I need to get a princess' # and then go on a date with her "friend" during my trip. Is this actually doable??
                      Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                      July 13th-18th
                      November 19th-25th

Comment

Probably not gonna happen but always worth a try. Hope you are a good looking guy because you are talking about a princess, they usually set their standards pretty high. But look lock to you my friend.

Comment

I've only ever been at the parks once by myself, and that was only because the friend I was with had to leave early because she was feeling sick after something she ate. She assured me that it was alright for me to stay there the rest of the day while she went back to rest. It was fun, being able to do anything I wanted, when I wanted and however many times I wanted. It was also easier to cut through crowds, because being by yourself you can weave in and out of large crowds more easily. I didn't get any weird/rude looks and I'm 29 years old. Besides, even if I did I wouldn't have cared. My friends and I do occassionaly get looks when we stand in lines for character meet and greets from parents who think that we shouldn't be there; that we're just rude for holding up their 'precious angel(s)' from meeting the character. We couldn't care less and do it everytime.

However, I would never actually plan on going to the parks on my own. I don't know, I'm more of an extreme extrovert and couldn't really imagine having fun all by myself for more than half a day.

Comment

out of curiosity has ANYONE ever tried giving their number to a character and/or gotten a number from a character with a note saying what time they're off?? My brother keeps telling me that I need to get a princess' # and then go on a date with her "friend" during my trip. Is this actually doable??
                            Don't do this. Just don't. Forces them to be out of character. Plus, they are on Disney time and you're forcing them to be on personal time. This happened a fair amount with Jack Sparrow and women.

Usually when I'm in line I talk to those I'm with, but with not going with anyone, do I talk to whoever is near me in line, or should I bring my ipod and listen to music/podcasts while I'm in line?
                            Yes. You can bring your phone, play games, listen to music, look around you, really take in the surroundings, talk to those around you. Just have fun. There is no right thing to do in line. Just, have fun.

I've met some awesome people in line for rides. Met a family from Brazil (I lived there for a couple years) and we got speaking in Portuguese. It was a blast. Met a family from Australia wearing their favorite soccer jerseys as the world cup was on... we ended up riding Grizzly 3 times in a row together and had a great time.

Also, when going alone I know some rides have single rider lines (Indy, Splash, RSR, Grizzly) but what do you guys do to keep from getting bored while in the lines.
                            See above answer. Talk to people, pay attention to every little detail, etc. Whatever. Try not to wait in line is the key though. If you're walking somewhere and see a <20 min wait, get in line and take advantage of it. If a ride has an hour wait, try again later... or grab a FP.

I'm also a little worried about going to see characters, granted my last trip my gf (of the time) didn't go see the characters with me, but what do I do to avoid feeling awkward about being the only single adult male standing in line to see princesses.
                            This one is easy, just don't feel awkward. There's nothing to feel weird or ashamed about. My wife will be in a store or something and I'll notice a character walking by and I'll go and get their autograph. No shame. Let the inner kid out and just enjoy your time there as you. Why waste your time worrying what others think? If you want to meet Ariel, or Jasmine, go meet them. Have fun! Ask Jasmine how Rajah is doing, or if Snow White knows any good recipes for apples. "Disneyland is your land" means it is your place to be you. This is your place to set your imagination free. Have adventures. Pretend you aren't on rides, that these are real places and they aren't stories, but really happening. Be free. You're alone. You have no one else to compromise with or wish they were riding something else or not inline to meet so and so. Live this up. There is absolutely nothing wrong or weird or strange about being there by yourself.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Tried? Of course, that probably happens several times a day. Suceeded? I doubt it.
                              Disneyland Cast Member
                              Outdoor Vending
                              1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X