Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Went today. Gripes aplenty inside!

Just got back from my first trip in over a year.

I do not have an annual pass and I can really afford to go to DL maybe once a year. Here are a few observances on my part, many of which are things that have been in effect for a long time, but never noticed until now. Let me please state that some of what I'm about to write here is some MAJOR griping! Allow me to use this as an open vent session. I want to also state that I have been a DL fans since 1977, when I was 6 years old. I love the place. But many things stood out to me. Here goes...

Adventureland

I guess the joke is, just like a real bazaar, it is crowded with people shoulder to shoulder. Man, does this place need more real estate to walk in.

Indy broke down just as I got my single-rider ticket. 55 min wait for standby.

Jungle Cruise 30 min wait.

New Orleans Square

POTC 40 min wait on a Tuesday in the middle of Feb? Wow. Am I behind the times or what? This was the wait back in 1985... during a summer day!

HM was a 25 min wait, which was acceptable in my book. I prefer the "regular" version of this ride vs. the Halloween Nightmare Before layover.

Critter

Bear Country, please!

25 min wait for the Pooh ride? What is going on here? This ride is so horribly placed, I would think people have forgotten it exists. In the 3-4 times I've been on it over the years, I've never waited more than 5 mins.

Splash was down and you could see the scaffolding all over, including the big drop. Hungry Bear was closed. Oh, how I miss the Jamboree!

Overall, what a depressing, dead-end part of town.

Frontierland

Big Thunder still down. Make that 2 E-rides so far!

Fantasyland

IASW closed for referb. Saw the old Skyway entrance. Ghost town. Sad to see.

Matterhorn, single rider line. Get this. A group of people were ahead of me. The CM made sure they knew that their party would be broken up and it was a single rider line. They said they knew. When we got to the CM at the front, he split the group (there were 4 of them) in 2's! In other words, 1 friend in seat 1 and another friend in seat 2! Repeat next car. When we got off the ride, I even heard one friend say to the other, "Well, that worked out well." I don't blame the group. I blame the front CM! Am I missing something here?

ToonTown

This place is sensory overload!

Tomorrowland

Oh boy. Where to start? Let's be nice first. I love Jedi Academy. What a fun show! SM was a 70 min stand-by wait. I did a fast-pass and waited all of 5 mins. Excellent! Star Tours is so polished now in HD and in 3D. Great ride. Now to the bad stuff...

Autopia still uses gas powered cars. In "Tomorrowland."

There is a pizza joint where we used to take rides to the moon and Mars. In "Tomorrowland."

There is a blurry 3D movie from the 80s that is still being shown.

There is another souvenir shop where I used to play arcade games and air hockey over 2 levels connected via moving ramps. Not a gripe. Just a flashback.

There is a Pixar movie ride that looks like cardboard was the key ingredient in making this ride. When I was a kid, we saw movies that literally surrounded you. I guess that happens all the time now. Oh wait. It doesn't?

Tomorrowland Terrace was closed. Is it that hard to not make hamburgers and fries because it is a Tuesday?

PeopleMover tracks. Just stop it already! It is like watching the ghost of my all-time fav attraction teasing me and making me want to visit Yesterland.

Finding Nemo ride. Closed (as you all know) for a few months (allegedly). A bunch of walls up. They seem to be up all over DL. But when it is open, you can go into the future and visit talking fish.

Disneyland TL Railroad entrance. This is so hidden and hard to get to, I don't know what happened. Has it always been like that and I've never noticed until now?

Innoventions.

Overall

Touring Plans had today as a 7.5. It felt like a 9 to 10 with all the # of attractions closed.

I toted around a 2 year old in a stroller today. Because of that, I notice strollers and cannot believe the number and size of these suckers! And does DL give discounts to twins and triplets because I saw about 80 sets of them today! LOL

OK, my gripe session is done... I still think DL has the magic and I probably won't stop going there. It just seems like things have fallen a tad in my book and with the prices and crowds you have to endure, it is taking a little away from the thrill of the visit. But maybe it is just me in my old age...

Re: Went today. Gripes aplenty inside!

I think this touches on many of our "gripes".

I completly agree with your Tomorrowland portion of your post. I'm guessing soon it will be Star Wars Land.

Comment

Definitely resonates here.
      I know you didn't do it, but I subconsciously added "In Tomorrowland" to pretty much all of your points. Just kinda sad what's happening with the land, but hopefully we have the future to look forward to.

I'm actually more surprised that Pooh had a 25 minute wait... I guess the folks unable to go on Splash had to do something...

-Side note: Yah, the railroad position for Tomorrowland is a bit wonky... I can go a few times a year and occasionally I'll forget where it is, but it's why I tend not to board in Tomorrowland till later in the day when I get to be more re-aquainted with the park geography

Comment

I think that a lot of schools are closed this week for their winter recess/break - that might account for the huge crowds. No fun to be in those crowds, though.
        Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Great post. I agree with you. I can understand closures and imperfections, but the crowds and prices have made it somewhat un/less enjoyable. I can deal with the pricing, in fact I'd even pay more, but the crowds are unbearable. It would hinge upon smaller crowds and a higher quality park in general (e.g. upkeep, TOMORROWLAND).
          Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
          -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

Comment

We are not renewing our APs this year. I agree with the OP 100%
            --
            http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

You went on the tail end of the President's Day weekend. Of course the crowds were high.
              Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ravencroft View Post
                We are not renewing our APs this year. I agree with the OP 100%
                And we are not going to the parks AGAIN this year because what we feel is a diminished experience. It simply isn't worth the price of admission anymore to us and we are spending our vacation dollars in Hawaii this year instead.
                The condition of the park, number of rides inop. and overall value has to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                  You went on the tail end of the President's Day weekend. Of course the crowds were high.
                  Well aware of that! I mentioned Touring Plans had it at a 7.5 going in, but with all the ride closures, it felt like a 9 or 10.

And technically, the day AFTER President's Day isn't the tail end. The Monday would be!

Comment

Originally posted by monster heck View Post
                    Well aware of that! I mentioned Touring Plans had it at a 7.5 going in, but with all the ride closures, it felt like a 9 or 10.
                    Now we need you to go on a day rated a 9 or 10 for actual comparison. For science.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by monster heck View Post
                      When we got to the CM at the front, he split the group (there were 4 of them) in 2's! In other words, 1 friend in seat 1 and another friend in seat 2! Repeat next car. When we got off the ride, I even heard one friend say to the other, "Well, that worked out well." I don't blame the group. I blame the front CM! Am I missing something here?
                      The purpose of the Single Rider line is to fill empty seats. Usually, the CM will ask for groups of two from the Stand-By line. If nobody comes forward, the seats get filled with single riders.

Comment

Originally posted by dfan07 View Post
                        The purpose of the Single Rider line is to fill empty seats. Usually, the CM will ask for groups of two from the Stand-By line. If nobody comes forward, the seats get filled with single riders.
                        I'll echo this statement. My wife and I have been placed several vehicles apart, one vehicle behind the other, and even in the same vehicle many times in the single rider lines of many rides.

Many of these rides have very short dispatch times. They have to unload, load, and get the vehicles out of the station very quickly. If there are multiple empty seats together and a party of two isn't called up quickly from the standby line, they will take from the single rider line. If that means a party of four ends up 2 and 2, that's no big deal. The goal of the single rider line is merely to provide people who don't mind being alone to fill empty seats. There is no requirement that they be taken one at a time, just the requirement that those in the line realize that they will probably be taken that way.

CM here did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary. They had two empty seats to fill, so they filled them. Had there been one person in front of that party, they would have been broken up 1, 2, 1 instead of 2, 2.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Tuesdays are now the tail end of the weekend that has a Monday holiday. Funds put into travel for a scenario like arrive Friday morning and leave late Tuesday night are now extending what families are planning.

The 2 year old in the stroller. Was this your first time in the park with someone that young? Most published guides and a large percentage of folks on discussion boards suggest that 7 is the ideal age for a child to first visit the park.

your observation about the tomorrowland train station is interesting. I have always found it empty and could never figure out why, your experience as veteran tourist may now provide insight that indeed no one knows that it is the location of a train station. When I create visiting plans for folks who ask for insight into visiting the park, I always print tomorrowland train station as method to travel back to the exit gates. Did you know about the bathroom in that area?

your flashbacks to the last century seem strange, don't know what to make of the sudden observations. On my last trip I found the Buzz walkway very interesting and took time to look at the details on the walls. On previous visits I didn't even consider the attraction. This may have been that Star tours is now harder on my 58 year old body and need something else to endure.

But the overall theme, supported by many already posting here is that wait times in what is probably now considered MAYBE THIS ISN'T OFF SEASON SEASON is now the norm. And it is now normal for attractions to not be functioning at any given point in the day. The new normal for visiting is that several options need to be available at any given turn or closure in the park. Rather than having a plan in pocket (and my personality fault is that I am a planner) is that I now need to have a bag of serendipity dust to sprinkle about to continue my magical visit.

And I write all of this to not refute your post, which by the way was insightful and evidence of what is now a different park, but to express to the many visitors who read here that have not visited in the past three years, that the next visit will not follow as past visits

Comment

None of those wait times seem unreasonable to me, I remember waiting much longer for jungle cruise in the 90's as well as Pirates.

Comment

I agree with a lot of your post, a lot of the little things aren't being touched on which (to the majority of visitors) are most likely not noticeable or a big deal, but to us it's very noticeable, especially when things don't get fixed for long periods of time!

Personally I have a love hate relationship with the Adventureland area, I love that it's small - because of this the trees overhead create a tight knit canopy and really allow you to saturate yourself in the environment, on the other hand it's small and creates some crazy congestion at times....I do think the Frontierland area can use a major renovation!

The reason you experienced such bad crowds is because a lot of the Holiday weekend visitors thought there would be less crowds on Monday/Tuesday and waited until the week to visit dland! Hope next time it's better

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X