Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Disney need to keep basing every attraction on the movies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does Disney need to keep basing every attraction on the movies?

Sadly I think advertising and possible revenue from an attraction determine whether or not it will be built.

On one side, in the case of Indiana Jones, it worked great using a movie as the subject since we already had a connection with the characters and plot before the ride even started and then the actually ride was a completely new adventure unlike any of the movies.

On the other side though, for example Finding Nemo, you just watch screens underwater and go through the same story as the movie. However (putting running costs aside) it's pretty obvious that just adding those known fish to the subs created a huge new income for the Company.

I know its a lot more profitable for Disney to use a movie theme, I guess I just have wayyyy more respect for original rides like any of the mountains.
    "Where would the fun be if we already knew what there is to know?" - Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post

I am inclined to agree, with some exceptions. When the attraction is based on a property that is not OUTSTANDING, and then the attraction pretty much follows the story in the animated feature (Nemo Subs), or provides little else in the way of supplemental story (BLAB), then I tend to like them a lot less than the headlining original attractions and am not as entertained. I want Disney to do and be better than that.
      Yeah that's how I feel for instance Indy is fricken awesome. Based off a IP and tells a seperate story that could easily be added to the Indiana Jones universe. Nemo adds nothing as far as a new story goes. Although I do like the story book rides and they just re-tell a story but they feel different than Nemo....
      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      My company had a special night at the park
      WdW trip report with WWoHP
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
        Yeah that's how I feel for instance Indy is fricken awesome. Based off a IP and tells a seperate story that could easily be added to the Indiana Jones universe. Nemo adds nothing as far as a new story goes. Although I do like the story book rides and they just re-tell a story but they feel different than Nemo....
        I think Nemo's problem may be that it's the opposite of most rides - usually you're on your way to something relatively benign (Endor, jaunty little trip through the swamp, casual bobsled run down the non-yeti filled mountain) and Something Amazing Happens, usually Something Going Wrong.

Nemo's the opposite - you're seeing Something Amazing Happen in your trip through Liquid Space when suddenly you get roped into a completely low stake relatively benign attempt to find the character you can't move five feet without seeing or hearing from.
        Account abandoned due to trolls

Comment

A good ride is a good ride. It makes no difference to me if it's based on a movie or not. Indiana Jones and Dinosaur (essentially the same ride) are both equally enjoyable.
          Disneyland Cast Member
          Outdoor Vending
          1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

It appears to me that the non Disney themes rides are the most popular. Also my dad told me back in the 50's you had to pay to go on the rides.

Comment

Exactly. Not that I am opposed to using IP as the basis for an attraction, but it must have more than what appears on the DVD in terms of story. Indy is a good example as is Star Tours. Cannot comment on Cars Land as I have not been yet. The classic Walt inspired dark rides have a history with Walt and the development of the park (and my childhood), so they do have a different feel even though they are nearly direct stories from the IP. Where I break from this pattern somewhat is with Little Mermaid. Not the same connections, based in a shortened telling of the exact IP story, but for some unexplained reason - I kind of like it... But there is a limit. I wouldn't want two or three LM attractions, or Indy attractions, or Star Wars attractions. Even for the greats - one is enough. This is why I don't want further StarWars incursion into the park. With Marvel - I enjoy most of the new movies, and the older comics, but think putting them in Tomorrowland is more than ill-advised, it is just plain wrong. Marvel (and more Star Wars) would be better served by a third gate. (Or even their own land as an offshoot of DCA)

Originally posted by BogLurch View Post
              I think Nemo's problem may be that it's the opposite of most rides - usually you're on your way to something relatively benign (Endor, jaunty little trip through the swamp, casual bobsled run down the non-yeti filled mountain) and Something Amazing Happens, usually Something Going Wrong.

Nemo's the opposite - you're seeing Something Amazing Happen in your trip through Liquid Space when suddenly you get roped into a completely low stake relatively benign attempt to find the character you can't move five feet without seeing or hearing from.
              Indeed. I have similar feelings about the cardboard cutouts of Buzz Lightyear.

Originally posted by Big D View Post
              A good ride is a good ride. It makes no difference to me if it's based on a movie or not. Indiana Jones and Dinosaur (essentially the same ride) are both equally enjoyable.
              Now this is interesting. Even with the same vehicles and layout, it would depend totally on the story being told. That difference would either make or break it for me. For my preferences - a one time, appropriately placed, IP based attraction with a great story would still beat the same physical "ride", inappropriately placed, or with a mediocre story.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Originally posted by brendonb28 View Post
                It appears to me that the non Disney themes rides are the most popular.
                See? Some people say...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                  The choice of what goes into the parks is determined by which IP will generate the most retail sales, period. The parks are nothing more then an advertising venue now.

It makes me sad that I think you're right. You can't just make something that's fun, it's got to sell me stuff.

Why does it matter what an attraction is based on?
                  I want the ride to give me something the movie doesn't. And that's not what they've been building, CarsLand aside.

Buena Vista Street- works. Environment, real-life existing things. Something to look at.
                  Indy- works. Immersive environment, immediacy of the action, things happen to you as you ride.
                  Star Tours- Nice to have new updated movies, but it's overly clear when it switches tracks to the new segment. The pieces don't "flow" together well.
                  Nemo- not so much. Movie screens, just underwater. The lava flow and the mines are cool, but that's a small portion of a ride that now, overall, sucks.
                  Pixar- boring. Even the parade doesn't get much further than "Oh, look, characters."
                  Little Mermaid- eh. Briefly cool, but still doesn't do much more than give a Cliff-Notes version of the movie.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                    You all need to get beyond thinking that what Disney chooses to put into the parks has anything to do with what is good for the park or what people want, it does not. The choice of what goes into the parks is determined by which IP will generate the most retail sales, period. The parks are nothing more then an advertising venue now.
                    This is kind of a backward way to look at it. The reason those things generate the most retail sales, is because those are the properties that people WANT. Obviously the whole basis for having a property generate sales is that it has to be popular first.

Take Frozen for instance. I've read complaints on other boards of Disney not keeping the shelves stocked with merchandise and we've had two threads on here recently regarding the dress one of the characters will be wearing and whether it will see more representation in the park. When something becomes popular like Frozen, when you get a fan community actively asking for an attraction to be built, why wouldn't you do it? Why is it a bad thing to make people happy?

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                      I actually think this has more to do with it than anything else. And I also think that with Nemo, the problem is more related to the Subs themselves than most folks would care to admit.

Comment

The art of subtle mind interaction with rides with rich backstories is so completely lost on the current Disney Co.

I actually find the IP rides to be a bit on the boring side.

Rides that don't entail IP characters make me feel like I'm more involved with the story .. instead of just sitting back watching someone's story unfold!
                        MY SIGNATURE:
                        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                          Rides that don't entail IP characters make me feel like I'm more involved with the story .. instead of just sitting back watching someone's story unfold!
                          Very well put, I couldn't agree more
                          "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
                          "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

Count me in as well...

sigpic

Comment

ORDDU: This topic has come up so often that it makes a witch scratch her head. But I'll comment again, anyway. I wouldn't mind it a bit if EVERY attraction at the parks was based on a Disney movie--as long as the quality of the attraction was top notch. But, then, that's because I happen to LOVE most Disney movies and also LOVE seeing them brought to life in terms of characters roaming the parks and good attractions based on their stories.

ORWEN: I do too. But, then, I'm a Disney fan who likes all things Disney.

ORDDU: I also enjoy attractions--such as Space Mountain--that aren't based on a Disney movie. But I think I'd enjoy it even more if there was a movie tie-in. I just don't understand why anyone would complain about a Disney theme park having so many attractions that are based on Disney movies. It makes no sense what-so-ever.

ORWEN: Most guests out there must appreciate all the movie tie-ins or Disney wouldn't be having so much success with them. Since the Disney company usually does what the majority of the fans want (I said usually not always) then I think we'll continue to see more movie tie-in's. If that's not something that appeals to you, you always have the option of choosing some other fandom that interests you more.

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post

ORDDU: I also enjoy attractions--such as Space Mountain--that aren't based on a Disney movie. But I think I'd enjoy it even more if there was a movie tie-in. I just don't understand why anyone would complain about a Disney theme park having so many attractions that are based on Disney movies. It makes no sense what-so-ever.

The plaque over the tunnels of the Train Station state that we are about to explore a land of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. Surely, the movie based attractions help cover the fantasy aspect (Alice, Pan, Pinnochio, etc.). However, the yesterday and tomorrow parts are where original attractions can and should be represented in Disneyland. I want Disneyland to continue to live up to 3/3 of the plaque rather than merely 1/3.

Comment

I guess the plaque is open to interpretation. I think it's well covered throughout all the DL lands as is. TL is the biggest one IMO but I do consider Star Wars to be futuristic. And bfore someone says it I know it opens with a long time ago in a a galaxy far far away. But Star Tours is a better fit in TL than Buzz, or Autopia IMO. I haven't seen anything in my life that does warp speed or space ships. I can give the nod to yesterday to Indy since it takes place in history.

As I have stated many times it's all about execution for me. IPs are just as good as a non IP based attraction. Plus when Disney creates the IP I really dont mind seeing it continued in their theme parks through their attractions. I think RsR is a great edition to the Cars franchise. indy to it's world, Star Tours to it's universe etc.
                                  These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                  My company had a special night at the park
                                  WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                  NYE 2011 trip report
                                  Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                  Leap year 24 hour report
                                  New DCA trip report
                                  NYE 2012
                                  HKDL trip report

Comment

Here is the part I will never understand. Why does it matter what an attraction is based on? If it's a good story and fun for me I don't care. I don't feel Disney is more or less creative based on their subject matter. Lets look at cars land. Pixar created cars then the land. What's so different about that versus a original idea? They created the back story through their movies and shorts books etc. Now lets look at the attractions in the land. I love RsR and MJJ but I pretty much hate LFT. I would hate Luigi's if it was called the flying saucers and located in TL over at DL. For me it's about execution. Where the story comes from doesn't matter to me as long as the attraction tells me a story by itself and I am entertained.

I agree , I don't understand what the problem is as long as the land or attraction is immersive and enjoyable. I mean the stories are original Disney / Pixar. Why does it matter that the stories / characters were in a movie before being in an attraction?
                                    "How do you do?"

Comment

I don't care much whether something is based on an IP or not. As long as the ride's story is engaging and the ride itself is entertaining, then I'm fine with it.

Comment

Perhaps it could also be that Disney is meant for children so less hardcore the ride and people these days are adrenaline junkies.

Comment

Originally posted by brendonb28 View Post
                                          Perhaps it could also be that Disney is meant for children so less hardcore the ride and people these days are adrenaline junkies.
                                          Disney is not just meant for children. Otherwise, I would not be here in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                          X