Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Disney need to keep basing every attraction on the movies?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Does Disney need to keep basing every attraction on the movies?

It seems that nearly everything built or remodeled recently at Disneyland and DCA have been based on some Disney movie. Just for a few examples the submarine ride was remodeled to Finding Nemo, the avengers are invading Innoventions, and entire land was built off of Cars, and Toy Story Mania was off course based on the Toy Story series.

I'm just curios if you guys think Disney is going to keep doing this as movies like Frozen, Star Wars (which I do love but do we really need a land based on that), and more Avenger type stuff comes out. I think Disney really needs to get back to its roots and get their creative mind back they had with the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, and other attractions like that, otherwise they might as well change their name to Disney Studios Anaheim.
    "Where would the fun be if we already knew what there is to know?" - Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe

Re: Does Disney need to keep basing every attraction on the movies?

Yes. They must milk every last cent from their properties. They are so addicted they have lost all their original creativity.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

It certainly helps when they do.
      Be Cool Stay in School!
      Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
        It certainly helps when they do.
        Helps what? Making fans sad?

sigpic

Comment

OTH, Phantom Manor is a new creation.

Comment

I doubt we will see much of anything original in the years to come (at least in the U.S. parks). Like others said, it's really about making more money off their franchises. :-/
            "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

On a related note, I post this question to all of ya'll.....Remember when DL rides were first created and THEN movies were made out of them later on??? Game. Set. Match.

Comment

I've been thinking about this a LOT between my recent trip to DLR and all the recent discussion here at micechat.

And something occurred to me that I haven't seen addressed here:

It's not so much that Disney has gotten less creative, but more that after 60 years in the theme park business they've done nearly everything. There are only so many types of genres and they pretty much did them all of them. Castles and princesses, pirates, jungle adventure, space travel, the wild west, haunted houses, etc...

When Walt laid out his park with Main Street, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Adventurand he really covered the bases perfectly.

I think it's a lot harder now to come up with a genre of ride that hasn't been done already, which is a big reason they rely on something quite a bit more specific like a movie that has its own unique universe.

The same thing happened to Pixar. Their first decade and change they did every ideal kid specific idea. When kids are talking to each other 90% of their conversations will include one or more of the following:
                Toys
                Bugs
                Monsters
                Animals
                Superheroes
                Cars
                Robots

And Pixar covered them all really well. Now they're needing to either get more specific/unique (like with UP and BRAVE) or return to the well and do sequels to those strong genres they've already done.

I'm also aware that the Disney Corporation just loves being able to cross promote and have built in brand recognition on their new attractions. Unfortunately I'm also a bit cynical.

I'm sure there is some type of genre that hasn't been done yet in a Disney Park. There is probably some Imagineer with something brilliant in mind on his drawing board that isn't based on a movie. But there are a whole lot of interesting movies that haven't had an attraction based on them yet, and we'll probably see all of them done before another non movie based attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                  Helps what? Making fans sad?
                  Originally posted by bigcatrik View Post
                  OTH, Phantom Manor is a new creation.

And word is that in DLHK, Phantom Manor and Grizzly Gulch do not attract the crowds that you would expect and more people enjoy the Toy Story mini land.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                    It's not so much that Disney has gotten less creative, but more that after 60 years in the theme park business they've done nearly everything. There are only so many types of genres and they pretty much did them all of them.
                    I don't believe this for a minute. I hear statements like this and I am reminded of the apocryphal quote from Charles H. Duell (Commissioner of US patent office in 1899) - "everything that can be invented has been invented."

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                    There is probably some Imagineer with something brilliant in mind on his drawing board that isn't based on a movie. But there are a whole lot of interesting movies that haven't had an attraction based on them yet, and we'll probably see all of them done before another non movie based attraction.
                    Sad, but true...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                      And word is that in DLHK, Phantom Manor and Grizzly Gulch do not attract the crowds that you would expect and more people enjoy the Toy Story mini land.
                      Where are the numbers to support this assertion?

I could say word is that the vast majority of folks are tired of movie tie-ins and want original attractions. Without data, they are just opinions. FOXNews makes big bucks using phrases like "Some people have said..." when no one has. Then they quote anyone who repeats their story as supporting evidence.

Some people say Disney keeps creating movie tie-in attractions as a method of curbing attendance numbers that threaten to overwhelm their parks.
                      Last edited by Sambo; 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM.

sigpic

Comment

@IndyRacingNut

You're just joking, right? You can't be serious.

Here's the Disneyland Resort attractions that were a movie before they were an attraction:

Snow White's Scary Adventures
                        Peter Pan's Flight
                        Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
                        Pinocchio's Daring Journey
                        Dumbo the Flying Elephant
                        Alice in Wonderland
                        Mad Tea Party
                        Swiss Family Treehouse
                        Indiana Jones Adventure
                        Splash Mountain
                        The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
                        Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
                        Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
                        Star Tours
                        Muppet Vision 3D
                        Turtle Talk with Crush
                        MonstersInc Mike and Sully Rescue
                        It's Tough to be a Bug
                        Flik's Flyers
                        Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
                        Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies
                        Francis' Ladybug Boogie
                        Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
                        Luigi's Flying Tires
                        Radiator Springs Racers
                        King Triton's Carousel
                        The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Adventure
                        Toy Story Midway Mania

And the opposite, movies that came from the attraction:

The Haunted Mansion
                        The Country Bears
                        Tower of Terror
                        Pirates of the Caribbean 1
                        Pirates of the Caribbean 2
                        Pirates of the Caribbean 3

You'll notice that the first three movies are hideously bad, and the second three have a classic (Pirates 1) and two very mediocre sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
                          Where are the numbers to support this assertion?
                          Where are your numbers to support your observation?

I'm going off what people are now commonly seeing when they visit.
                          Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

You all need to get beyond thinking that what Disney chooses to put into the parks has anything to do with what is good for the park or what people want, it does not. The choice of what goes into the parks is determined by which IP will generate the most retail sales, period. The parks are nothing more then an advertising venue now.
                            The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
                            -Walt Disney

Comment

@Sambo

That patent analogy doesn't apply to what I said at all. Of course there are thousands of rides that could be created not using IP's, but all of them would be in a genre that's already been done.

For instance, Mystic Manor is a great new attraction that isn't based on a movie but it's still a haunted house type of attraction, a house where things are coming to life that shouldn't. Would they have put in Mystic Manor at Hong Kong Disneyland if they had a Haunted Mansion in that park? Probably not, they're too similar in genre.

If there is some genre that Disney hasn't explored in their parks that you've got in mind, lets hear it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X